ASO AC Teleconference
Wednesday, 11 January 2017
Teleconference
MINUTES

Attendees

AFRINIC
Fiona Asonga, FA
Omo Oaiya, OO

APNIC
Tomohiro Fujisaki, TF
Aftab Siddiqui, AS
Brajesh Jain, BJ

ARIN
Louie Lee, LL (Vice-Chair)
Kevin Blumberg, KB

LACNIC
Jorge Villa, JV
Hartmut Glaser, HG

RIPE NCC
Filiz Yilmaz, FY (Chair)
Wilfred Woeber

Secretariat
German Valdez, GV (Executive Secretary)
Bhadrika Magan, Scribe

Observers

APNIC
Adam Gosling, AG

ARIN
Michael Abejuela, MA

LACNIC
Gianina Pensky, GP

ICANN
Ron Da Silva, RDS
Carlos Reyes, CR

Apologies
Nurani Nimpuno, NN
Douglas Onyango, DO
Jason Schiller, JS
Ricardo Patara, RP (Vice-Chair) (could not be reached for call)

Agenda
0. Welcome
1. Agenda Review
2. Review of Open Action Items
3. Approval of Minutes
a) December 2016
4. ICANN CCWG Report
5. 2017 Chair and Vice Chairs
6. ASO Work Plan 2017
7. ASO 2016 Work Plan Review
8. ICANN 58 ASO AC Agenda
9. ASO AC 2017 Meeting Calendar
10. Any Other Business
11. Adjournment
Open actions
Action Item 20160803-05: JS and GV to work on conducting a ‘mock election’ with all the AC in participation.
Action Item 20160630-06: GV and Secretariat to develop a comprehensive ASO slide template for future public session use.
Action Item 20160630-04: LL to recommend to the NRO EC that Work Stream 2’s work be completed before ATRT3 begins, and share the EC’s response with the ASO AC.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161012-06: FY to Prepare Discussion Points on Grey Areas of Responsibilities between the ASO AC and the NRO EC.
NEW ACTION ITEM: 20161012-05: FA and JV to provide report to ASO AC on the new procedures of Accountability Roles.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161012-04: LLto Clarify ASO AC/NRO EC Responsibility in ICANN roles.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-07: GV to remove ‘Draft’ status from October ASO AC minutes.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-09: Chair to work with RP on the ASO 2017 Work Plan.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-08: RP to review the 2016 Work Plan.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-010: ASO AC Election to open 3 Jan
NEW ACTION ITEM: 20161212-11: Secretariat to create a doodle poll for the first Wed of every month and provide two options – the current hour or an hour earlier. The Chair noted that if the hour earlier works out well for the Secretariat and other, that might be acceptable.
NEW ACTION ITEM: 20161212-12: Secretariat to check that AC meetings don’t conflict with RIR meetings when scheduling ASO AC meetings.
NEW ACTION ITEM: 20161212-13: Request to ICANN for ASO AC meeting at ICANN 58 to be discussed at January 2017 meeting of AC.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-14: KB and BJ to participate in group to create and vet document. KB will follow up on the email list for other volunteers.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-15: Next meeting Wed, 11 January 2017.

Minutes

Agenda

0. Welcome

After the quorum was noted and reached, GV commenced the roll call at 22:03 (UTC +10). LL welcomed everyone to the first ASO AC meeting for 2017.
1. Agenda Review

The Chair suggested changing 4 and 5 around, which no one disagreed with.
FY said she would like to add in an AOB agenda item. There were no other changes to the agenda.

2 Review of Open Action Items

Action Item 20160803-05: JS and GV to work on conducting a ‘mock election’ with all the AC in participation.
• There has been no action on this since the last meeting. Action item OPEN.
Action Item 20160630-06: GV and Secretariat to develop a comprehensive ASO slide template for future public session use.
• LL has seen a version of this; GV said after LL feedback, there is a little bit of work to do now the Secretariat has moved from ARIN to APNIC.
• LL would like to see the template reused for other PPT platforms, eg: Google slides; Keynote etc
Action Item 20160630-04: Chair to recommend to the NRO EC that Work Stream 2’s work be completed before ATRT3 begins, and share the EC’s response with the ASO AC.
• LL reported that this is part of the larger conversation that OR and LL are having.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161012-06: FY to Prepare Discussion Points on Grey Areas of Responsibilities between the ASO AC and the NRO EC.
• FY noted this is like NEW ACTION ITEM 20161012-04 and suggests combining the two. LL agrees. GV agrees this is clear. FY will report on this later.
NEW ACTION ITEM: 20161012-05: FA and JV to provide report to ASO AC on the new procedures of Accountability Roles.
– JV stated that this work still needs to be completed. LL asked if there was a draft to peruse? JV noted that they can finish the draft and share it with the list early next week.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161012-04: Chair to Clarify ASO AC/NRO EC Responsibility in ICANN roles.
– This is merged with NEW ACTION ITEM 20161012-06.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-07: GV to remove ‘Draft’ status from October ASO AC minutes.
– GV confirms this is completed. Action item CLOSED.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-09: Chair to work with RP on the ASO 2017 Work Plan.
– LL needs to review the 2016 work plan and will try to get draft out within the next week or so.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-08: RP to review the 2016 Work Plan.
– LL still has to review this.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-10: ASO AC Election to open 3 Jan
– LL notes this would have been the election for the Chair, but there was no need to run the election. Action item CLOSED.
NEW ACTION ITEM: 20161212-11: Secretariat to create a doodle poll for the first Wed of every month and provide two options – the current hour or an hour earlier. The Chair noted that if the hour earlier works out well for the Secretariat and others, that might be acceptable.
– GV decided not to action this until there was another conversation. GV noted that 12 UTC works well for everyone except for APNIC and ARIN. While moving the meeting to 11 UTC is good for APNIC, it might not be good for ARIN. LL noted that having the time earlier, is good for the Secretariat. This action is tabled.
NEW ACTION ITEM: 20161212-12: Secretariat to check that AC meetings don’t conflict with RIR meetings when scheduling ASO AC meetings.
– GV sent through the suggested meeting dates. TF suggested some changes and with those changes, LL suggested they cancel the Mar meeting (TBD in agenda item 9).
NEW ACTION ITEM: 20161212-13: Request to ICANN for ASO AC meeting at ICANN 58 to be discussed at January 2017 meeting of AC.
– This is to be discussed in the relevant agenda item. CLOSED
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-14: KB and BJ to participate in group to create and vet document. KB will follow up on the email list for other volunteers.
– KB notes there is no update. LL suggested rolling this into the work plan.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20161212-15: Next meeting Wed, 11 January 2017.
– Meeting happening. Action item CLOSED.

3 Approval of Minutes

a) December 2016
TF suggested a couple of minor changes – noting the initials that need to be added against some of the observers’ names.
OO moved for the minutes to be approved with the suggested changes. TF seconded the motion with the suggested changes. There were no objections or abstentions. Motion approved.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20170111-01: GV to remove draft status from December minutes

4 ICANN CCWG Report

[This was discussed after agenda item 5.]
MA reported that they have been monitoring multiple subgroups, in particular, the SO AC Accountability subgroup. The RIR legal team has prepared responses to questions from the SO AC. Those questions were mainly about accountability questions about the ASO; the ASO AC’s election procedure; and transparency mechanisms etc. MA commented that it was important that when the team drafted the response it was limited to the ASO function and not the RIR process or accountability etc.
FA noted that part of the reason JV and FA have not completed their task on the new procedures is that the processes of the subgroups are changing depending on the work the respective subgroups identified needs to be done. For example, public comments to questionnaires and reports.
The CCWG members will meet at ICANN 58 to discuss the different reports that are ready. Once the first round of public comments is received then the CCWG team can see the impact of the various mechanisms on the different procedures the SOs and ACs are having on ICANN. The plan is to see what needs to change.

5  2017 Chair and Vice Chairs

[This was discussed before agenda item 4.]
As there was only one nomination, FY, LL saw there was no need to hold an election. This was supported in the list and there was no reason given to run the election. LL congratulated FY and FY took over as Chair of the meeting.
FY discussed with LL and RP if they would like to continue as Vice Chair, which they agreed to do. GV noted that CR would probably need to report this change to the leadership structure. CR stated that he is happy to do this and will work with FY to disseminate the information more widely.
GV also confirmed that NRO EC Chair, John Curran, was added to the ASO AC Chair mailing list.
HG also wanted it minuted to formally recognize LL for his tenure as ASO AC Chair, and convey the councils thanks to LL. FY noted as a collective the AC is thanking LL for his service to the ASO AC as Chair. GV suggested a news announcement to that effect.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20170111-02: GV to draft news announcement of change of Chair and LL’s contribution.

6 ASO Work Plan 2017

LL is happy to keep this action item and he will try and send it through in the next week or so.

7 ASO 2016 Work Plan Review

RP sent an update to the group. RP is not on the call to give an update, although GV has tried to reach him. FY noted that the plan is quite comprehensive, and suggested that the deadline for comments be two weeks.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20170111-03: AC members to comment on work plan by 25 January.

8 ICANN 58 ASO AC Agenda

CR from ICANN noted that meeting organizers are defining topics for ICANN 58 with community leaders. FY sent around proposed time blocks and most groups are using these time blocks to begin their planning. FY noted the decision to have a F2F meeting at ICANN 58. She suggested that there should be one closed session and a public session with other constituency groups. FY is working on a draft plan and will share it with the list. She would like CR to secure time for a joint public session.
KB raised two questions. 1. When is the expectation for the start of the ASO work and when does everyone need to be available? 2. What is the history of the F2F meetings.
FY answered Q2 first. According to ICANN procedures, there are three meetings per year, but there must be one F2F meeting where all ASO AC members are expected to attend.
GV confirmed this procedure. He also noted the earlier decision to have the F2F meeting at an ICANN meeting.
FY noted that the ASO AC must decide which ICANN meeting to have the F2F meeting.
In response to Q1: FY suggests the first meeting can be anytime; but at a time where there are no conflicts if possible. The second meeting with the public, will depend on when the other meeting is so there are no clashes. FY suggests the council focus on the weekdays – Mon-Fri.
KB agreed that Mon to Fri makes sense but suggested keeping open the option of having the closed meeting on a Sunday, due to international travel. FY agreed to keep this as an option. CR confirmed that a room should be available and FY noted the room will probably need to be available for the entire day.
GV added that Sunday is a good day as it allows the AC to prepare for the week and this has worked well in the past. He also noted that the NRO EC will meet F2F on Thursday, March 16. FY agrees that Sunday is a good option, so suggested that council members arrive then or before.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20170111-04: FY will summarize the discussion about a closed F2F meeting and a public meeting and start a thread on the mailing list.
In response to LL, CR confirmed that the Chairs will be meeting on the Friday before the meeting.

9 ASO AC 2017 Meeting Calendar

GV sent through the draft. GV only noted the ICANN and RIR meetings for potential clashes; but the NANOG meetings were noted as well. LL noted that if there were changes to the March meeting, it will push it closer to the ICANN meeting; so, he suggested the March meeting should be cancelled for the F2F one. FY agreed to not have a formal teleconference, but use this teleconference as a more informal preparatory one for the ICANN F2Fmeeting. KB agreed with having an informal one; he also commented that the Oct teleconference will be a 3am call for those attending NANOG.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20170111-05: AC members to consider proposed meeting calendar sent by GV and come back with comments by 25 Jan.

10 Any Other Business

FY would like a general agreement that the meetings are kept to 90 minutes. Urgent agenda items will be discussed and other non-urgent agenda items discussed as later meetings.
WW agrees with this suggestion. He suggests that at the time of the agenda review, the important and non-important items are decided.
KB would like confirmation that the expectation is 90 mins, even though the meeting is set at two hours. FY noted that there was never a formal time for the meeting, but having extra time is needed for the quorum. KB noted some caution in this approach.
BJ suggested having another F2F meeting given this is the first year of the IANA transition. FY suggests this go to the NRO EC. This will be added as an agenda item for the next meeting.
NEW ACTION ITEM 20170111-06: BJ to send the suggestion about a second F2F meeting to the list.
FY noted that BJ and OO have started their official terms on the ASO AC and formally welcomed them to the ASO AC.
FA noted that the ASO AC has not given names to the ICANN academy leadership program. LL noted that he did send through a suggestion but there was no comment from the ASO AC. LL will follow this up after the call.

11 Adjournment

LL moved to adjourn. WW seconded. Meeting adjourned at 23:31 (UTC +10).