ASO AC Teleconference 5 December 2001
Present: Mouhamed Diop (MD) Ray Plzak (RP) Richard Jimmerson (RJ) Mirjam Kuehne (MK) Sabine Jaume (SJ) Barbara Rosemann (BR) Erik Decker (ED) John Crain (JC) Hartmut Glaser (HG) Hans Petter Holen (HPH) Jianping Wu (JPW) Cathy Wittbrodt (CWJ) German Valdez (GV) Takashi Arano (TA) Raimundo Beca (RB) Anne Lord (AL) Seung Minh Lee (SML) Agenda: 1. Welcome 2. Apologies received 3. Agenda Bashing 4. Minutes from November AC telephone conference 5. Status of open actions 6. ICANN IDN Committee 7. AC Physical meeting 8. AOB 1.Welcome HPH opens the call at 22:05 Everybody introduces themselves to the new AC members 2. Apologies received from Louis Touton, Jorge Plano, Wilfried Woeber 3. Agenda Bashing suggested new agenda items: 8. Report from the LACNIC (HG) 9. News from the ASO Secretariat, suggested as standard agenda item (MK) 10. ICANN at-large report (SJ) 11. Thanks to the leaving AC members (HPH) 4. Minutes from November AC telephone conference AC approves the November minutes (including additions sent to the ASO secretariat) ACTION 0112-01 on SEC to publish the final minutes on the ASO web site RP reminds everybody that the call is recorded Suggestion to formally approve that the call is recorded: all AC members vote for it, no objections 5. Status of open actions ASO secretariat reads out the list of open actions 12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to the AC - OPEN MK reports that the RIRs received comments from the IANA a while ago. In the meantime the RIRs discussed them and will get together during the IETF next week to draft a reply to the IANA 0111-01 SEC: find new teleconf bridge with some recording facilities to make available on the Internet - CLOSED ARIN offered to use their telephone bridge, including recording facilities 0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for 2001/2002 (long-term action) - ONGOING 0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks - OPEN (to be continued in January 2002) 0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN board. Send it to the AC for review. Then Vint can decide if he thinks this would be useful to show to the Board - OPEN tabled until 2002. ASO secretariat has sent pointer to RIR IPv4 utilisation statistics to the ICANN board in the meantime. 0107-11 AC devise procedure for ICANN Board member selection in a subcommittee (1. collect ideas and proposals, 2. write draft, 3. adapt results in a face to face meeting) - OPEN 0111-02 SEC: send mail that was sent to ripe-list also to the AC list - OPEN 0111-03 SEC: send mail to ac-list to discuss the details of ASO GA March 2002 meeting - OPEN later on the agenda 0109-5 AC: to continue discussion about physical AC meeting on the mailing list - ONGOING later on the agenda 0109-3 CJW: to discuss additional text suggested by WW and incorporate it in the proposed 'Process for AC chair nomination and election' - DONE this procedure can be used from now on. 6. ICANN IDN Committee HPH gives a short status report: HPH suggested to nominate RP, MD also volunteered. There was some discussion on the AC list, the feeling so far was that MD is a good choice. HPH asks for any additional comments CWJ wonders if both candidates are still willing to be nominated RP confirms that he is still willing. ED asks how many candidates are possible to be nominated MK believes one candidate is needed HPH explains that it is even more vague than that. ICANN is going to select the members for the committee. Theoreticaly the ASO could propose more than one. ED suggests to propose both candidates as they combine a great set of skills. JC mentions that ICANN would ideally like to get one candidate, so that they do not have to choose. ED still believes there are benefits in both, each of them would be a good addition to the IDN comittee. Leave it to ICANN to chose the person with the expertise that is needed or missing at the committee. HPH thinks this is a sensible idea. The AC concluded to have the name of both candidates submitted to ICANN. MD stresses what he wrote to the ac-coord mailing list. He does not have the experience with DNS that RP brings with him. However, he is concerned with the process. HPH wonders how this concern could be expressed. RP suggests to MD to write this in an e-mail. ACTION 0112-02 on MD: to send his concerns and motivations regarding the IDN to the ac-coord list. ACTION 0112-03 on HPH: to draft a mail to ICANN and send it to the AC 7. AC Physical meeting HPH suggests to have a physical AC meeting in conjunction with the ASO General Assembly. What other possibilities are there? The next ICANN meeting will be in Accra, Ghana. The one after that will be in eastern Europe, not sure yet, exactly where. Most AC people would rather have all meetings combined. That means the best option would be to have the meeting in bangkok in conjunction with APRICOT and the ASO GA. Discussion if it would be better to have the physical AC meeting before or after the GA. The ICANN meeting is right after the APRICOT and the ASO GA meetings, some people need to go to the ICANN meeting. On the other hand it has advantage to have a physical meeting after the ASO GA: the ICANN board candidates will have introduced themselves. But then again, the AC will not select an ICANN board member there and then. Maybe have a workshop before the ASO GA together with RIR and ICANN staff, and a pure AC meeting after? Concluded to discuss the ASO GA agenda and physical AC meeting at the next AC phone conference on 9 January 2002. ACTION 0112-04 on SEC: prepare another meeting schedule for 2002 and send it to the ac-coord mailing list. 8. LACNIC report HG reports from the LACNIC meeting that took place in 28 November 2001 in Sao Paulo. attendees from 16 countries were present, 55 emerging clients, 5 guests (Andrew McLaughlin, John Crain, Axel Pawlik, Ray Plzak, Andrea Caro). The agend was as follows: a. IPv6 Tutorial b. Official Opening c. ICANN Report d. ASO Report e. LACNIC structure f. RIR Reports g. LACNIC Policies The meeting went very well. HG thanks the RIRs for their support. GV notes that LACNIC has submitted a formal application to ICANN. RP adds that there are currently LACNIC trainees at the ARIN offices. So far 13 IP address requests and 10 AS number requests from the LACNIC region have been handled. MD reports from progress made at AfriNIC: the web site has been completely re-structured and updated. There will be an AfriNIC board meeting in January. HPH wishes AfriNIC good success. 9. Report from the ASO Secretariat The call for nominations for an ICANN board member (Rob Blokzijls term will end in October 2002) is sent out (90 days before the ASO GA) and will be published on the ICANN web site tonight. The ASO Secretariat will be transferred from the RIPE NCC to ARIn at the end of the year. 10. ICANN AT-Large Committee SJ reports from the at large committee: The committee delivered a report, ICANN accepted the report. Should the AC have an opinion on it? HPH mentions that the RIPE LIR WG decided not to have an opinion on this. This is the input he received. HG suggests to wait for further discussion within ICANN BR agrees. However, this could move very quickly. The meeting in Accra might not be attended very well, decisions there might be heavy handed. The AC needs to be prepared. ACTION 0112-05 on SJ: to follow discussion and report back to the AC MD believes one should be careful to make the ICANN structure not too complicated BR believes the AC should also think about if one wants to discuss this with other groups like the PSO and DNSO HPH encourages the AC members to also bring this back to he community in order to hear what they think about this. BR reports that at APNIC meeting in Taipei she got the impression that the constituency wants the most minimal role possible for the ASO in RIR policy. If we want to continue to play a role within the address community, we need to be more proactive and not just ask the community for input. The AC needs to be clear about what they want. 11. Thanks HPH would like to formally thank the leaving AC members in the name of the entire AC. He also thanks the ASO SEC at the RIPE NCC, specially MK. 12. AOB HG wonders if the AC should be involved in the budget process for ICANN. RP points out that the RIRs are on the budget committee. HPH says that he received a letter from ICANN, mentioning that the RIRs are on the budget committee, but that the AC is also welcome to comment (until 10 January 2002). However, maybe it would be better to do this to through the RIRs. RP: suggests to do it via the RIRs since they are also the ones who will financially suport ICANN. AC agrees. ACTION 0112-06 on HPH to forward the e-mail Stuart Lynn sent regarding the ICANN budget to the AC. The meeting adjourns at 23:15. ACTIONS CLOSED -------------- 0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities 0111-01 SEC: find new teleconf bridge with some recording facilities to make available on the Internet 0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next ASO GA will take place 0107-2 BR to organise the formation of a committee (all three RIRs plus 1 AC member per region) to co-ordinate the documentation of global policy 0107-3 HPH to draft message of intent describing the timeframe and further process for regional discussions regarding the documentation of global policy 0107-7 ALL: answer to LACNIC by 20th of July regarding meeting time preferences 0109-1 SEC: to publish final version of July minutes 0109-2 RIRs: to announce RIR stats to ICANN and other appropriate lists 0109-3 CJW: to discuss additional text suggested by WW and incorporate it in the proposed 'Process for AC chair nomination and election' 0109-4 HPH: to send a message to ac-coord with list of global policy and/or procedure documents that need to be written, including deadlines (in co-ordination with the RIRs). 0111-05 SEC: moderate list, double check why spam is sent to the list NEW ACTIONS ----------- 0112-01 SEC: to publish the final November minutes on the ASO web site 0112-02 MD: to send his concerns and motivations regarding IDN to the ac-coord list 0112-03 HPH: to draft a mail regarding the chosen candidate for the IDN committee to ICANN and send it to the AC before 0112-04 SEC: prepare another meeting schedule for 2002 and send it to the ac-coord mailing list. 0112-05 SJ: to follow discussion regarding the ICAN At-Large Committe and report back to the AC 0112-06 HPH: to forward the e-mail Stuart Lynn sent regarding the ICANN budget to the AC. COMPLETE list of OPEN ACTIONS ----------------------------- 12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to the AC 0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for 2001/2002 (long-term action) 0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks 0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN board. Send it to the AC for review. Vint can then decide if he thinks this would be useful to show to the Board (on hold until ICANN is concerned with other issues than DNS security; Q1/2002) 0107-11 AC devise procedure for ICANN Board member selection in a subcommittee (1. collect ideas and proposals, 2. write draft, 3. adapt results in a face to face meeting) 0111-02 SEC: send RIPE-40 summary mail that was sent to ripe-list also to the AC list 0111-03 SEC: send mail to ac-list to discuss the details of ASO GA March 2002 meeting 0109-5 AC: to continue discussion about physical AC meeting on the ac-coord mailing list 0111-04 SEC: send pointers to IPv4 utilisation statistics to AC 0112-01 SEC: to publish the final November minutes on the ASO web site 0112-02 SEC: to publish 'Process for AC chair nomination and election' on ASO web site 0112-03 MD: to send his concerns and motivations regarding IDN to the ac-coord list 0112-04 HPH: to draft a mail regarding the chosen candidate for the IDN committee to ICANN and send it to the AC before 0112-05 SEC: prepare another meeting schedule for 2002 and send it to the ac-coord mailing list 0112-06 SJ: to follow discussion regarding the ICAN At-Large Committe and report back to the AC 0112-07 HPH: to forward the e-mail Stuart Lynn sent regarding the ICANN budget to the AC.
Last modified on 29/01/2020