AC Attendees:

Eric Decker (ED) Hartmut Glaser (HG) Kenny Huang (KH) Hans Petter Holen (HPH) Louie Lee (LL) Wilfried Woeber (WW) Mark McFadden (MM) joined 2215 Hyun-Joon Kwon (HJK) joined 2230 Raimundo Beca (RB) joined 2245 (due to dial out problems)

Observers

John Crain (JC), ICANN

RIRs

Richard Jimmerson (RJ), ARIN
Anne Lord (AL), APNIC
Raul Echeberria (RE), LACNIC
German Valdez (GV), LACNIC
Axel Pawlik (AP), RIPE NCC
Sabine Mader (SM), ASO Secretariat

Agenda

  1. Welcome and roll call for the Address Council
  2. Apologies received
  3. Agenda bashing
  4. Minutes from January 2004, AC Teleconference
  5. Report from recent APNIC Meeting
  6. Status of open actions
  7. Review of status of nominations for ICANN BoD Position
  8. Review of the status of the upcoming ASO General Assembly
  9. Report from the Rome ICANN Meeting
  10. Discussion of Proposed ICANN/RIR MoU on ASO – Process and Content
  11. Any other business (AOB)
  12. Adjournment

    1. Welcome and roll call for the Address Council

As the chair would join later, the meeting was opened by HG, vice chair, at 2202. As per the roll call six members of the AC were present at this time, which is one short of the quorum of seven. However, the meeting proceeded as more members were expected.

After the Chair, MM, entered the conference at 22:15, the quorum of seven was reached.

    1. Apologies received

      • Julian Dunayevich
      • Takashi Arano

Two apologies received:

    1. Agenda bashing

On request of RE agenda points 9 and 10 were pulled forward (not reflected in these minutes for ease of reading).

    1. Minutes from January 2004, AC Teleconference

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved without comments and amendments.

Action #0403-01 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the AC meeting held on 21 Jan 2004 on the ASO website

    1. Report from recent APNIC Meeting

KH gave a report from the Kuala Lumpur APNIC Meeting.

AL pointed to a recently published meeting report on the APNIC website, see http://www.apnic.net/meetings/17/report.html.

    1. Status of open actions

The actionlist was reviewed and marked as appropriate, see attached list.

    1. Review of status of nominations for ICANN BoD Position

It was noted that one nomination for the ICANN BoD position has been received by the ASO secretariat. The person nominated is Lyman Chapin.

Action #0403-02 SEC
To set up the nominations information and support pages on the ASO web pages.

    1. Review of the status of the upcoming ASO General Assembly

      • LACNIC: HG, to chair jointly wit HPH
      • ARIN: ED
      • APNIC: KH
      • RIPE NCC: HPH, tochair jointly with HG

AP noted that the GA would take place on Wednesday 1800, he would arrange for the St. Johns room (unaffected by smokers).

The Chair expressed with the need for an agenda.

One representative from every region was asked to volunteer for the program committee.

The draft agenda will be further discussed on the ac-coord mailing list.

HPH noted that a deadline for publication of the agenda might have to be respected.

Action #0403-03 CHAIR
To check if a time line for the agenda for the ASO GA is applicable

It was agreed to have an extraordinary AC teleconference in April, The exact meeting date will be announced by the Chair.

    1. Report from the Rome ICANN Meeting

      • Three RIRs were present.
      • The meeting was focused on names issues.
      • RIRs worked hard on new ASO MoU with good progress.
      • Names Constituencies raised concerns with MoU drafting process
      • The Chair reported that he had given an update on the AC to the ICANN board.
      • ICANN organisational thinking was significantly impacted by the WSIS process.
      • The Chair was asked by ICANN board members to consult informally on the ASO MoU (under personal title).

The Chair gave a report from the Rome ICANN meeting.

HG added that the ccNSO was now functional.

The Chair noted that he expressed his personal opinions on the ASO MoU matter, and voiced concern that neither ICANN nor the RIRs consulted with the AC.

Action #0403-04 CHAIR
To distribute presentation given at ICANN meeting Rome.

AP observed that none of the RIRs was informed of the Chairs intentions to speak on the NRO and ASO MoU matters in the names constituencies. Unfortunately this led to the RIRs not being present and able to comment appropriately. He asked whether this was a concerted AC action.

The Chair made clear that his comments during the ISP constituency were not a concerted effort of the Address Council. He gave his presentation at the ISP constituency and was asked to give an update from the name side.

AP reported on a meeting with Tony Holmes and Alain Bidron, from the ISP constituency, to clarify the situation.

The Chair reported that both were very satisfied with the meeting with the NRO, as detailed in the Holmes statement given in the Public Forum.

RE expressed that it should be clear in the future in which function MM will give a presentation.

HPH stated that he does not see the issue of conflicting interests. HG understood the po

tential difficulties having to deal with multiple functions, and reported that he immediately contacted the Chair during the Rome meeting to clarify the issue.

RE expressed his dissatisfaction that the NRO was not informed about the statements made and that the NRO had no chance to react but was informed only informally by third parties.

    1. Discussion of Proposed ICANN/RIR MoU on ASO – Process and Content

      • one as action between the RIRs to form the NRO
      • one still in negotiation with ICANN, it is proposed that the NRO would offer to ICANN that the NRO Number Council take the function of the current ASO Address Council. The Number Council selection process would be very similar to the current Address Council procedures.
      • He emphasised that the formation of the Number Council was frozen while good faith negotiations with ICANN were ongoing.

The Chair proposed a special AC teleconference, about the ACs reaction to the new ASO MoU coming into effect, how to participate in the review process. He asked what the transition plan to the new ASO and AC would look like.

AP stated that there is no particular hurry from the side of the RIRs, but stated that both ICANN and the RIR position are very close, and that an MoU could be signed soon.

He suggested that the AC members should make their concern very clear in this phase of the process.

WW suggested a face to face workshop meeting and to come up with a point WW suggested a face to face workshop meeting and to come up with a point of view. One aspect is to brief the community (General Assembly) and the other aspect is to prepare the ICANN Board selections.

The Chair volunteered to draft a note to ICANN and ask how the AC involvement should take place.

Action #0403-04 CHAIR
To draft note to ICANN about AC involvement in ASO reform process.

HG suggested to move forward as soon as possible.

WW asked the AC members who would be willing to travel to Amsterdam before the GA to do some work in the workshop, possibly with participants from the RIRs.

It was asked in which timeframe the signing of that MoU would be realistic.

RE stated that the RIRs are all willing to move very quickly, especially with an eye on the uncertainties of the WSIS process.

On request AP explained the new ASO proposals, based on two MoUs:

The Chair asked whether the AC has more questions/comments about the current process.

It was stated by AP that the current state of negotiation is without deadline, but that the new and possibly final MoU draft might be ready within two weeks.

RE remarked that the documents exchanged between RIRs and ICANN gave a very close approximation of the likely outcome.

    1. Any other business (AOB)

none

    1. Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2315 UTC.

Open Action item list (reviewed on 10 March 2004)

Action #0401-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 3 December 2003
DONE
Action #0401-02 SEC
Secretariat to announce the date of the ASO General Assembly to be 5 May 2005, at the venue of RIPE 48 in Amsterdam. DONE
Action #0401-03 SEC
Secretariat to announce the Call for Nomination for ICANN board member. DONE
Action #0401-04 (Chair)
Update and re-distribute the AC Workplan 2004. OPEN
Action #0401-05 All
Discuss role of AC in policy making process in preparation for March teleconference. OPEN
Action #0401-06 Chair
To revise the timeline of ICANN board member election document and re-send it to the list. DONE in Jan 2004
Action #0401-07 Sec
Update ASO website. OPEN, will be done by the Chair together with the ASO secretariat

  • RB was asked to send his corrections to the Chair who will work together with the ASO secretariat to update the website.
  • The Chair and the ASO secretariat will make sure that the AC will be kept up to date with the nomination process.

New Action item list:

Action #0403-01 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the AC meeting held on 21 Jan 2004 on the ASO website
Action #0403-02 SEC
To set up the nominations information and support pages on the ASO web pages.
Action #0403-03 CHAIR
To check if a time line for the agenda for the ASO GA is applicable
Action #0403-04 CHAIR
To draft note to ICANN about AC involvement in ASO reform process.

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC):

Action #0307-03 SEC
Secretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed. This action will be held open until there is a new MoU. Open/Stalled