AC Attendees:

Mark McFadden (MM) – Chair
Eric Decker (ED)
Louis Lee (LL)
Kenny S. Huang (HK)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Sebastian Bellagamba (SB)
Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)

Observers:

Raimundo Beca (RB), ICANN board of directors
Ray Plzak (RP), ARIN
Anne Lord (AL), APNIC
German Valdez (GV), LACNIC
Adiel Akplogan (AA), AFRINIC
Axel Pawlik (AP), RIPE NCC
Sabine Mader (SM), RIPE NCC – ASO Secretariat

Minutes were taken by SM.

Agenda:

1. Welcome and Roll Call for the Address Council
2. Apologies Received
3. Agenda Bashing
4. Introduction of New and Newly Re-elected ASO AC members
5. Minutes From 1 September 2004, AC Teleconference
6. Status of Open Actions
7. MoU Between NRO and ICANN
8. Reminder of Transition Plan Language in MoU
9. Call AC Chair Nominations
10. Discussion Regarding ICANN NomCom Representative
11. Report From RIPE Meeting
12. Report From ARIN Meeting
13. Report From LACNIC Meeting
14. AfriNIC Update
15. Any Other Business (AOB)
16. Adjournment


1. Welcome and Roll Call for the Address Council

The teleconference was opened at 2210 (2110 UTC). As per roll call eight members of the AC were present. The quorum of six was reached.


2. Apologies Received

Takashi Arano
Julian Dunayevich
Paul Wilson
Wilfried Woeber


3. Agenda Bashing

The following topic was proposed:
– AfriNIC update

It was agreed that the topic be discussed after agenda point 13.
There were no other changes to the agenda.


4. Introduction of New and Newly Re-elected ASO AC Members

The newly elected AC member Sebastian Bellagamba for the LACNIC region was welcomed by the AC council.
SB will fill the seat being vacated by Raimundo Beca (seat until 31 December 2006). Further, LACNIC has announced that HG will fill the seat that is selected by the LACNIC board – replacing Julian Dunayevich (JD).

In the ARIN region, Sanford George was elected as successor to Eric Decker’s seat that expired on 31 December 2004. Sanford’s 3-year term starts on 1 January 2005.

In the RIPE Region, Hans Petter Holen has just been elected to the seat that expired on 31 December 2004.

In the APNIC region, the election to fill the AC seat that expires on 31 December 2004 was deferred.

5. Minutes From 1 September 2004, AC Teleconference

The minutes of the previous meeting on 1 September 2004 were slightly amended under topic 9 and were formally approved.

Action #0411-01 SEC
To change and to publish the final minutes of the AC meeting on 1 September 2004 on the ASO web pages.

6. Status of Open Actions

The action item list was reviewed. The Chair noted that all action items were completed. There were no further questions.

7. MoU Between NRO and ICANN

The Chair reported about the signing of the MoU between the NRO and ICANN during the ARIN Meeting in Reston, U.S.

AP stated that the signing marked a development of five years efforts.

Answering a question raised by the Chair, RB explained that no ratification of the ASO MoU will be adopted at the ICANN Board meeting in Cape Town, South Africa. If any ratification at all of the ASO MoU is needed, it will be adopted at the next ICANN Board meeting, in November 2004. However, ICANN Bylaws need to be amended in order to adapt them to the ASO MoU. After public consultation, this amendment would in principle be adopted at Cape Town.

8. Reminder of Transition Plan Language in MoU

[RP joined the conference]

The Chair pointed to his e-mail to the <ac-coord> list and noted that the transition plan is now in full effect.

HPH asked how the plan will be translated in the ARIN region. RP reported that ARIN will appoint an AC member by 10 Dec 2004
with effect of 1 Jan 2005 for the seat that is currently held by MM. There were no further questions about the transition plan.

9. Call AC Chair Nominations

The Chair opened a period for nominations in accordance to the AC Chair Election process.

The formal documented process for the election can be found on the ASO website at:

http://www.aso.icann.org/docs/index.html.

It was agreed that the nomination period is starting as of today until the next regularly scheduled teleconference in 2005.
There is no distinction between the 12 AC members, in principle all can be nominated as candidates.

There were no objections.

HPH expressed his willingness to accept nominations as a candidate for the AC Chair.

The item will be on the agenda at the January meeting in 2005.

10. Discussion Regarding ICANN NomCom Representative

MM reported that he forwarded a note from the Chair of the ICANN 2004 Nominating Committee (NomCom) to the Address Council.

On behalf of the Address Council MM proposed that HG should continue to work also on the new NomCom. HG accepted.

There were no objections.

Action #0411-02
The Chair and SEC to officially notify the NomCom of ICANN about the candidate of the Address Council for the ICANN 2005 NomCom.

HG reported that work for the new NomCom shall start early, if possible after the ICANN meetings in Cape Town.

11. Report From RIPE Meeting

HPH reported from the RIPE 49 Meeting in Manchester, U.K., and remarked that he sent his detailed report to the <ac-coord> list.

12. Report From ARIN Meeting

LL and RP reported from the ARIN XIV Meeting in Reston, U.S. More information can be found in the minutes that were
published on the ARIN website.

13. Report From LACNIC Meeting

HG and SB reported from the 7th LACNIC Meeting in San Jose, Costa Rica.

[ED left the teleconference]

The AC thanked ED for his work on the AC.
14. AfriNIC Update

AA gave an update report on AfriNIC. The 2nd AfriNIC Meeting will be held in Mosambique from 24-26 April 2005.

15. Any Other Business (AOB)

MM, HPH and HG will start to work on a roadmap to be formally approved at the next AC meeting in January 2005

Action #0411-03 Chair and Co-Chair
To work on a roadmap to be formally approved at the next AC meeting in January 2005

HG asked whether there is an obligation for an assembly. RB stated that there is none.

16. Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 2320 (2220 UTC).


Open Action Item List:

Action #0409-01 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the AC meetings held on 5 May 2004 and 7 July 2004 on the ASO web pages
DONE

Action #0409-02 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the ASO General Assembly on 5 May 2004 on the ASO web pages
DONE

Action #0409-03 CHAIR
The AC directs the Chair of the AC to forward the proposal to the ICANN Board with an indication that the ICANN Board may consult with the ASO Address Council regarding the matter (this to be done by 3 September 2004);
DONE

Action #0409-04 CHAIR
The AC directs the Chair of the AC to officially notify the NRO of its action, the date it took that action and a copy of the transmittal to the ICANN Board (this to be done by 3 September 2004);
DONE

Action #0409-05 CHAIR/SEC
The AC directs the Chair and Secretariat to prepare and post a news item announcing this action ( #0409-03) on the ASO AC web site.
DONE
New Action Items:

Action #0411-01 SEC
To change and to publish the final minutes of the AC meeting on 1 September 2004 on the ASO web pages.

Action #0411-02 CHAIR/SEC
The Chair and SEC to officially notify the NomCom of ICANN about the candidate of the Address Council for the ICANN 2005 NomCom.

Action #0411-03 Chair/Co-Chair
To work on a roadmap to be formally approved at the next AC meeting in January 2005

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC):

Action #0307-03 SEC
Secretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed. This action will be held open until there is a new MoU. Open/Stalled