AC Attendees:

  • Sebastian Bellagamba (SB), Chair
  • Ali Badiel (ADB)
  • Alan Barrett (AB)
  • Martin Hannigan (MH)
  • Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
  • Toshiyuki Hosaka (TH)
  • Jean Robert Hountomey (JRH)
  • Kenny Huang (KH)
  • Louis Lee (LL)
  • Francisco Obispo (FO)
  • Dave Wilson (DW)

Secretariat:

  • Donna Mc Laren (DM) – APNIC – Recording Secretary

Observers:

  • Adiel Akplogan (AA) – AfriNIC
  • Ernest Byaruhanga (ERB) – AfriNIC
  • Kiran Cunniah (KC) – AfriNIC
  • Vincent Ngundi (VN) – AfriNIC
  • Hisham Rojoa (HR) – AfriNIC
  • Samantha Dickinson (SD) – APNIC
  • Simon Nettle (SN) – APNIC
  • Son Tran (ST) – APNIC
  • Einar Bohlin (EB) – ARIN
  • Raimundo Beca (RB) – ICANN
  • Bart Boswinkel (BB) – ICANN
  • Olof Nording (ON) – ICANN
  • German Valdez (GV) – LACNIC
  • Filiz Yilmaz (FY) – RIPE NCC

Apologies:

  • Hartmut Glaser (HG)
  • Sanford H. George (SG)
  • HJ Kwon (HJK)
  • Wilfried Woeber (WW)
  • Leo Vegoda (LV) – ICANN

Draft agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Agenda review
  3. Approval of the minutes of 6 June 2007
  4. ASO informational session in ICANN Puerto Rico
  5. LA face to face AC meeting
    1. Dates for workshop and face to face meeting
    2. Timeline for workshop content development
  6. Any other business
    1. RIPE 54
    2. Intranet for AC
  7. Adjournment
  1. Welcome

    The Chair called the meeting to order at 22:10 UTC, noting the presence of a quorum.

  2. Agenda review

    The Chair reviewed the agenda and called for any comments or additions.

    The following item was added to draft agenda item five:

    • Tentative list of Los Angeles ICANN attendees

    The following items were added to AOB:

    • Date for the September AC meeting
    • Report on ICANN Board meeting
    • Global policy presented in AfriNIC region
  3. Approval of the minutes of 6 June 2007

    The Chair called for comment on the minutes of 6 June 2007. There were no comments.

    AB moved the following motion: “The ASO AC approves the Minutes of 6 June 2007 as written.” KH seconded the motion. There were no objections or comments.

    Action #0707-01:

    Secretariat to publish minutes of 6 June 2007.

    [ST joined the meeting at 22:12 UTC.]

  4. ASO informational session in ICANN Puerto Rico

    The Chair noted the three presentations at the ASO workshop in Puerto Rico:

    • Introduction to the Policy Development Process
    • Current Status of Policy Proposals
    • Statistics on IP allocations.

    The Chair noted there had been little discussion during the session in San Juan. He suggested that this was not a good model to use in future and noted that attendance was lower than that in Lisbon. He suggested the AC should try a different approach for the workshop in November.

  5. LA face to face AC meeting

    1. Timeline for workshop content development

      The Chair informed the AC that in Los Angeles the meeting will be in late October / early November and that the AC had previously discussed holding both a workshop and a face-to-face meeting at the event.

      The Chair apologised that he would not be able to attend the meeting due to family commitments.

      The Chair said that there needed to be two agendas: one for the workshop and another for the face-to-face meeting. He requested that the AC commence developing a list of attendees for the meeting.

      The Chair stated that ICANN had requested that the AC plan well in advance for both of these agendas. He suggested that the AC work on the agenda over the next two weeks.

      The Chair asked if there was agreement to hold a workshop in Los Angeles. He also asked whether the AC would like to invite speakers, and whether it should be a longer workshop than the one in San Juan.

      LL agreed that a workshop was probably a good idea. However, he suggested that the AC establish the goals of the workshop. He suggested that one goal be to educate people about the depletion of the IPv4 address space.

      LL wanted to know what elements of the AC session were successful at Puerto Rico and suggested building on these.

      The Chair agreed that this was important. He suggested that the hot issue was IPv4 and IPv6 and that this was becoming more important. He suggested planning a workshop on this issue.

      The AC agreed.

      The Chair suggested taking the next 10-14 days to develop an agenda. He asked for volunteers to assist in developing this workshop.

      SD offered the secretariat’s assistance in whatever way was needed.

      The Chair thanked the secretariat and suggested that the secretariat help with logistics and other administrative duties.

      The Chair asked the AC if they would prefer the agenda be developed on the mailing list, or by a small working group and then posted to the mailing list.

      SD suggested that perhaps those attending the Los Angeles event should develop the agenda as they will be the ones conducting it.

      The Chair agreed.

      HPH informed the AC that he will be taking leave over the next three weeks and that, as it was summer vacation, other AC members may also be taking leave over the next two months. He suggested that work on the agenda be deferred until after August. He asked which members of the AC were planning on attending the Los Angeles event.

    2. Tentative list of Los Angeles ICANN attendees

      The Chair asked the secretariat to conduct a roll call to determine attendees.

      A roll call was conducted. JRH, TH, LL, FO and HPH planned to attend. The Chair and DW would not attend. ADB, AB and KH were unsure if they would attend at present.

      The Chair suggested creating an agenda as soon as possible to invite people and to avoid conflict with other agendas. He asked that ideas for the draft agenda be posted to the mailing list starting the following day.

      The attendees agreed.

      The Chair asked if there were any other comments on the Los Angeles meeting. There were none.

      Action #0707-02

      The AC to commence posting agenda ideas to the mailing list.

    3. Dates for workshop and face to face meeting

      SD stated that she had contacted ICANN regarding time slots for the AC workshop and face-to-face meeting. She reported that the Wednesday morning time slot used by the AC at Puerto Rico would be available for use in Los Angeles, and that it would be possible to hold the face-to-face meeting on the Thursday. She also suggested that the Thursday face-to-face meeting would be desirable as it fell in November and better suits the regular meeting schedule, and that it would also allow discussion of the previous day’s workshop.

      The Chair suggested using a consistent time slot across meetings. However, he expressed concern that if the AC plan to have a longer time slot, this time slot may not be appropriate. He suggested holding onto the Wednesday time slot, but if the workshop developed into a longer session this time slot may need to be revised. He agreed to the Thursday time slot for the face-to-face meeting.

      SD asked if the AC would be happy with a Wednesday time slot for the ASO workshop.

      [It was noted that FY had joined the call and JRH had re-joined the call at 22.30 UTC]

      The Chair stated that Wednesday would be a good day for the ASO workshop. He noted that on Tuesday most attendees would be involved in the various constituency meetings and that Thursday is mostly devoted to the Pubic Forum.

      ON agreed with the Chair. He suggested that the workshop be advertised as early as possible to maximise the attendance.

      The Chair also agreed that it was important to advertise the workshop.

      The Chair asked if there were any other comments.

      [MH joined the call at 22.35 UTC]

      LL suggested holding a dinner on the Thursday night

      The Chair agreed.

      SD offered the secretariat’s help in booking a venue for the dinner.

      The Chair accepted this offer. He asked if there were any other comments. There were none.

      Action #0707-03:

      Secretariat to organise an AC dinner on Thursday, 1 November 2007.

  6. Any other business

    1. RIPE 54 Report

      DW reported that there had been 270 attendees from 33 countries. He noted that eight policy proposals had been presented in the Address Policy WG. Of particular note to the AC were:

      • 2007-03: IPv4 Countdown PolicyPotential global policy. Did not reach consensus.
      • 2006-02: IPv6 Address Allocation and Assignment PolicyMoved to last call.
      • 2006-01: Provider Independent (PI) IPv6 Assignments for End User OrganisationsMore discussion needed.

      DW noted that WW had presented the ASO AC report in the RIPE plenary.

      ON asked if DW had mentioned the IANA ASN policy proposal presented by Axel Pawlik. He noted that this was a potential global policy.

      The Chair asked if there were any other comments. There were none.

    2. Date for September AC teleconference

      The Chair noted that the scheduled September meeting coincided with the APNIC meeting, and that it will be 3:00AM in New Delhi.

      SD asked whether the AC would be willing to change the date. She suggested the same time on the previous day, the same time on the following day, or the same time the following week.

      The Chair suggested moving the meeting to 12 September.

      DW agreed.

      The Chair suggested making this a formal motion.

      HPH moved the following motion: “The September teleconference should be moved from 5 September to 12 September.” LL seconded the motion. There were no objections or comments.

      HPH asked if the AC would still have an August teleconference.

      The Chair confirmed that there would be an August teleconference and that the discussion regarding the September teleconference was forward planning.

      AA said that a new policy proposal had been submitted in the AfriNIC region, and that he would like to report on it later in any other business.

      Action #0707-04:

      Secretariat to change the date of the September teleconference to 12 September 2007.

    3. Report on the ICANN Board meeting

      RB reported that two potential global policies were on the Board’s agenda:

      • Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space
      • IANA Policy for Allocation of ASN Blocks to RIRs

      He reported that there had been no resolution on these two policy proposals. He noted that the issue for the Board was when to start drafting the Early Awareness Report.

      RB also reported on the Board’s resolution on the deployment of IPv6. He noted the importance of the Board stating this in a public forum and on the website.

      AA asked why the ICANN Board was discussing drafting the Early Awareness Report so early in the life cycle of the potential global policies.

      RB explained that the Board begins the Early Awareness Report process as soon as they hear of a potential global policy.

    4. Global policy presented in AfriNIC region

      AA reported that the Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space proposal had been submitted to AfriNIC within the past week.

      The Chair queried whether this was the same proposal that had been adopted in the LACNIC region.

      AA confirmed that it was the same idea, but worded differently.

      The Chair asked if there were any other comments. There were none.

    5. Intranet for AC

      SD noted that although the decision to redevelop the ASO website was the NRO EC’s responsibility, the Secretariat wanted to know if the AC would like an intranet function such as a wiki or a forum to be included in any redevelopment of the ASO website or if the AC would prefer to solely use the ac-coord mailing list for discussion and co-ordination.

      HPH stated that he would prefer to see documents on a website that are available to the public. He stated that he considered it more important to have up-to-date documents on the public website than to take time developing an intranet.

      MH agreed.

      The Chair suggested that an intranet may be useful, but suggested that it not be implemented until after the public site was redeveloped.

      HPH asked why it was necessary to redevelop the website.

      The Chair noted that the NRO EC make this decision.

      SD noted that, as background information, the purpose of rebuilding the website was to make it easier to maintain and therefore keep the site more up to date. She noted that if the NRO EC decided not to redevelop the ASO website, then the intranet would no longer be an option.

      MH expressed concern that a private work space for policy organisations would not support openness and transparency. He opposed the implementation of an Intranet. HPH asked if there was a timeline for the EC’s decision.

      SD reported that it was on the agenda for the NRO EC’s 17 July teleconference.

      AA confirmed this.

      SD suggested deferring any further discussion on the intranet until the EC’s decision was known.

      The Chair agreed.

      The Chair asked if there were any other comments. There were none.

      Action #0707-05:

      Secretariat to report NRO EC’s decision regarding redevelopment of the ASO website on the mailing list.

  7. Adjournment

    The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 23:00 UTC. AB moved the motion. TH seconded the motion. The motion was carried unanimously.

Summary of action items

Action #0707-01:

Secretariat to publish minutes of 6 June 2007.

Action #0707-02

The AC to commence posting agenda ideas to the mailing list.

Action #0707-03:

Secretariat to organise an AC dinner on Thursday, 1 November 2007.

Action #0707-04:

Secretariat to change the date of the September teleconference to 12 September 2007.

Action #0707-05:

Secretariat to report NRO EC’s decision regarding redevelopment of the ASO website on the mailing list.