Present:

Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Wilfried Woeber (WW)
Cathy Wittbrodt (CJW)
Barbara Roseman (BR)
Raimundo Beca (RB)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
German Valdez (GV)
Andrew McLaughin (AML)
Margaret from ICANN
John Crain (JC)
Ray Plzak (RP)
Axel Pawlik (AP)
Mirjam Kuehne (MK)

Draft Agenda:

1. Welcome
2. Apologies received
3. Agenda bashing
4. Minutes from 11 July AC telephone conference
5. Status of open actions
6. Report from Policy Meeting
   - APNIC meeting, Taipei, Taiwan
7. Preparation for ICANN Meeting 
8. AC attendance at upcoming meetings
    - ICANN, 06 - 10 September, Uruguay
    - RIPE,  01 - 05 October, Prague
    - ARIN,  28 - 31 October, Miami
    - ICANN, 12 - 15 November, Marina Del Rey
    - IETF,  09 - 14 December, Salt Lake City
9. AC Physical meeting
10. AOB

1. HPH opened the meeting at 22:20 UTC

2. Apologies received from Louis Touton and Jorge Plano

3. The following agenda items were added:
   10. AC nominations RIPE region
   8. LACNIC meeting Sao Paulo, Brasil

4. Minutes from 11 July AC telephone conference

minutes approved including WW's and RB's additions.

New ACTION 0109-1 SEC: to publish final version of July minutes

5. Status of open actions

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to
     AC

-- OPEN (IANA sent document back to the RIRs with comments, RIRs will 
   review the comments and get back to IANA)

0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities (low
       priority)
-- OPEN

0105-3 HPH: to re-submit changed text (acknowledgement of receipt of
       the McFadden/Holmes report) as agreed

-- DONE

New ACTION 0109-2 RIRs: to announce RIR stats to ICANN and other 
appropriate lists

0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for
       2001/2002 (long-term action)

-- OPEN (AC members sent their schedule, SEC needs to compile the 
   information)

0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next ASO
       GA will take place

The initial idea was to organise the ASO AGM 2002 in conjunction with an
open policy meeting in the APNIC region. One will take place in March, one 
in September. The first one seems to be too early, the second one too
late (for ICANN Board elections). 

RP points out that we could have two ASO AGMs next year, e.g. one in 
conjunction with the IETF in Yokohama in July 2002 and then another 
one next to the second APNIC meeting in September. RP also offers to host
another an AGM in the ARIN region in March 2002. 

It was pointed out that it might be useful to organise an ASO AGM in
the region the newly elected ICANN Board member needs to come
from. Since it is Rob Blokzijls seat that will become availble, it was
suggested to organise the ASO AGM next to the RIPE 42 meeting in May
in AMsterdam. 

MK suggested to co-ordinate with PW before a final decision is made.
AML asks the RIRs to inform ICANN about the final decision.

0106-2 HPH: to send list of AC chair tasks to the AC mailing list

-- DONE (HPH sent a list prior to this AC telephone conference)

0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks

-- OPEN (this will be further disccussed on the mailing list)

CJW and BR point out that it was not concluded yet who the co-chairs
will be. CJW would like to formally step down as a co-chair as she
will not be able to commit the time necessary for such a task.

It was suggested to elect co-chairs after agreeing on the tasks.

0106-4 WW: send additional disclaimer text to CJW to be included in
       the proposed process for AC chair nomination and election

-- DONE (see WWs mail from 3 August 2001)

New ACTION 0109-3 CJW: to discuss additional text suggested by WW and
incorporate it in the proposed 'Process for AC chair nomination and
election'

0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN
       board. Send it to the AC for review. Then Vint can decide if he
       thinks this would be useful to show to the board

-- OPEN

0107-1 RP  to draft ASO 0 in full. Draft to be posted to the AC

-- OPEN (see agenda item 6. Report from APNIC Meeting)

0107-2 BR to organise the formation of a committee (all three RIRs plus 
       1 AC member per region) to co-ordinate the documentation of
       global policy

-- OPEN (see agenda item 6. Report from APNIC Meeting)

0107-3 HPH to draft message of intent describing the timeframe and
       further process for regional discussion regarding the
       documentation of global policy

-- OPEN (see agenda item 6. Report from APNIC Meeting)

0107-4 WW to summarise & propose further action regarding DNSO whois
       survey

-- CLOSED (overtaken by events, deadline passed)

0107-5 HPH to acknowledge receipt of DNSO invitation to participate 
       in whois survey (co-ordinate with AP)

-- CLOSED (overtaken by events)

0107-6 AC to send their travel plans for upcoming meetings to SEC
       within one week

-- DONE

0107-7 ALL: answer to LACNIC by 20th of July regarding meeting time
       preferences

-- (see agenda item 8. LACNIC meeting Sao Paulo, Brasil)

0107-8 RB to circulate URL regarding additional info on commission
       resolution to support ICANN's bodies

-- DONE
0107-9 SEC: publish minutes June AC meeting conf call on the website

-- DONE

0107-10 SEC: publish minutes of the elections meeting on the website

-- DONE

0107-11 AC devise procedure for ICANN Board member selection in a 
        subcommittee (1. collect ideas and proposals, 2. write
        draft, 3. adapt results in a face to face meeting)

-- OPEN

6. Report from open policy meeting in Taipei, Taiwan, August 2001

MK: There were active discussions about IPv4 and IPv6 policies. 
Concerns were raised about the idea to create an ASO document series. 
People felt more comfortable using the existing RIR document stores.

BR confirms this, there was more resistance to that idea than she had
anticipated. People were concerned that the AC itself would write 
documents.

MK clarifies that the proposed documents would still be published, but 
in the existing regional document stores. The RIRs will make sure 
publication and updates are co-ordinated.

It was agreed to continue to publish documents in the regional
document series. In addition HPH suggested to create an index of
global policy documents on the ASO site. 

MK further reports that the process of re-writing RFC2050 was
discussed with a small group (Seung Min Lee and Takashi Arano were
also present) at the APNIC meeting. It has been agreed that the RIRs
would write draft documents for review by an editorial committee and
the wider committee rather than trying to produce the initial draft
documents by committee.

HPH describes the process for re-writing the regional IPv4 policy
document currently used in the RIPE region: The RIPE NCC has drafted a
document, HPH as the chair of the LIR-WG is co-ordinating an editorial
committee for an initial review. He suggests to use this model also
for global documents. No objections. HPH is concerned about the
timeframe for the global documents to replace RFC2050.

MK notes that these will be several documents. A number of the
documents topics currently in RFC2050 are or will be covered by other
documents. RP explains that the RIRs already made the effort to review
RFC2050 and divided it into policy, procedures etc.

New ACTION 0109-4 HPH: to send a message to ac-coord with list of
global policy and/or procedure documents that need to be written,
global policy and/or procedure documents that need to be written,
including deadlines (in co-ordination with the RIRs).

7. Preparations for ICANN Meeting in Montevideo

MK wonders if the ASO/AC is asked to report during the ICANN meeting.
RB mentions that there is an open ASO scheduled for this coming Saturday,
HPH suggests to use this to listen to input from the committee if there
is nothing else prepared.
GV offers to give a more detailed status report about LACNIC (bylaws, 
policy documents, relation with ARIN etc.)

8. AC attendance at upcoming meetings & 9. Physical AC meeting

HG suggests the following meeting schedule:
7 November 2001: open LACNIC policy meeting in Sao Paolo
8 November 2001: AC Meeting in Sao Paolo 
9 - 10 November 2001: travel time to ICANN meeting in Los Angeles
12 - 15 November 2001: ICANN meeting

RP points out that there is also the following meetings:
NANOG: 21 - 23 October 2001
ARIN:  28 - 31 October 2001

CJW notes that these would be 4 meetings back to back and that she
would not be able to attend them all (but she will have to attend
NANOG in any case)

HPH mentions that another possibility would be to organise a physical
AC meeting in conjunction with the ICANN meeting instead. He also
would only be able to attend either the LACNIC or the ICANN meeting,
but not both.

WW believes that it is more important to have a physical AC meeting
than to attend all RIR and ICANN meetings worldwide. He does not
believe it is necessary to attend each ICANN meeting with a large
number of RIR and AC members. Others agree.

10. AC nominations

MK: 
RIPE region: deadline for AC nominations closed on 5 September 2001 (today)
one nomination received from HPH for HPH
(Not mentioned during the telephoen conference, it must be noted 
Mark McFadden had also nominated HPH.)
elections will take place at RIPE 40 meeting in Prague on 5 Octoer 2001

RP:  
ARIN region: the deadline for AC nominations was extendend to 
17 September 2001

APNIC region: elections took place last week in Taipei. Kenny Huang
from Taiwan was elected.

Even though he formally only starts his term in January 2002, it was
suggested to invite him to participate as an observer earlier than
that. HPH suggest to wait until APNIC has announced the results of the
elections formally to the AC, before the AC takes any action.

HG asks the ASO Secretariat to include the LACNIC meetings on the
meeting calendar.

11. AOB

RB is concerned about the number of new Support Organisation
propositions, e.g ccTLD SO, non-commercial SO, commercial SO,
technical SO

BR clarifies that the only active proposal is the ccTLD SO.  She
believe the AC does not have a position on this at this moment.  There
is not much that could be done righ now apart from participating in
the meetings to keep informed.  The real issue arises if it would be
decided to re-constitute the ICANN Board. At that point in time the
ASO can get involved.

HPH understands RBs concern. This trend could reduce the importance of
the ASO and PSO. The DNSO was one 3rd of the ICANN structure. If the
DNSO splits into equally important parts, the addressing community
must be concerned about being marginalised.

JC mentions that there are currently a number of proposals on the
table how to fix the DNSO and how to re-constitute the ICANN
Board. None of them have been discussed publicly yet.

BR thinks it would be premature for the AC to comment and to raise the
concern that the ASO may be underrepresented until it is clear that
this is really the case.

The meeting adjourns at 23:24 UTC
-----------------------------------

ACTIONS DONE

0105-3 HPH: to re-submit changed text (acknowledgement of receipt of
       the McFadden/Holmes report) as agreed

0106-2 HPH: to send list of AC chair tasks to the AC mailing list

0106-4 WW: send additional disclaimer text to CJW so that she can
       include in the proposed process for AC chair nomination and
       election

0107-1 RP to draft ASO 0 in full. Draft to be posted to the AC 
       (overtaken by events)

0107-4 WW to summarise & propose further action regarding DNSO whois
0107-4 WW to summarise & propose further action regarding DNSO whois
       survey (overtaken by events)

0107-5 HPH to acknowledge receipt of DNSO invitation to participate 
       in whois survey (co-ordinate with AP) 
       (overtaken by events)

0107-6 AC to send their travel plans for upcoming meetings to SEC
       within one week

0107-8 RB to circulate URL regarding additional info on commission
       resolution to support ICANN's bodies

0107-9 SEC: publish minutes June AC meeting conf call on the website

0107-10 SEC: publish minutes of the elections meeting on the website

NEW ACTIONS

0109-1 SEC: to publish final version of July minutes

0109-2 RIRs: to announce RIR stats to ICANN and other appropriate 
       lists

0109-3 CJW: to discuss additional text suggested by WW and incorporate
       it in the proposed 'Process for AC chair nomination and
       election'

0109-4 HPH: to send a message to ac-coord with list of global policy
       and/or procedure documents that need to be written, including
       deadlines (in co-ordination with the RIRs).

0109-5 AC: to continue discussion about physical AC meeting
       on the mailing list

COMPLETE list of OPEN ACTIONS:

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to
     AC

0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities (low
       priority)

0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for
       2001/2002 (long-term action)

0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next ASO
       GA will take place

0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks

0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN
COMPLETE list of OPEN ACTIONS:

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to
     AC

0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities (low
       priority)

0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for
       2001/2002 (long-term action)

0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next ASO
       GA will take place

0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks

0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN
       board. Send it to the AC for review. Then Vint can decide if he
       thinks this would be useful to show to the board

0107-2 BR to organise the formation of a committee (all three RIRs plus 
       1 AC member per region) to co-ordinate the documentation of
       global policy

0107-3 HPH to draft message of intent describing the timeframe and
       further process for regional discussion regarding the
       documentation of global policy

0107-7 ALL: answer to LACNIC by 20th of July regarding meeting time
       preferences

0107-11 AC devise procedure for ICANN Board member selection in a 
        subcommittee (1. collect ideas and proposals, 2. write draft,
        3. adapt results in a face to face meeting)

0109-1 SEC: to publish final version of July minutes

0109-2 RIRs: to announce RIR stats to ICANN and other appropriate 
       lists

0109-3 CJW: to discuss additional text suggested by WW and incorporate
       it in the proposed 'Process for AC chair nomination and
       election'

0109-4 HPH: to send a message to ac-coord with list of global policy
       and/or procedure documents that need to be written, including
       deadlines (in co-ordination with the RIRs).

0109-5 AC: to continue discussion about physical AC meeting
       on the mailing list