2019 ICANN Board of Directors Seat 10 Elections
In line with the ICANN Address Supporting Organization (ASO) Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and the ICANN Bylaws, the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) issued a call for nominations for Seat 10 of the ICANN Board of Directors.
The selected candidate will serve for a three-year term, which will begin at the conclusion of the ICANN Annual General Assembly during the ICANN 66 Meeting, scheduled from 2-7 November 2019 in Montréal, Canada.
All nominated candidates must meet the selection criteria and conflict of interest requirements as outlined in Article 7 of the ICANN Bylaws. The nominated candidates will undergo a due diligence review by an independent ICANN contractor.
The ICANN Bylaws state that the Directors selected by a Supporting Organization (SO) for its assigned Board seat(s) cannot reside in the same geographic region (see Section 7.2:c). The current ASO AC selection for Seat 9, Ron da Silva, resides in the ARIN region. Therefore, no nominations for Seat 10 can be accepted from candidates residing in the ARIN region.
- Nomination Phase: 15 September 2018 – 30 November 2018
- Comment Phase: 1 December 2018 – 15 January 2019
- ICANN Due Diligence for nominated candidates: 1 – 15 January 2019
- Interview Phase: 1 – 28 February 2019
- Selection Phase (deliberation): 1 February 2019 – 14 March 2019
- Selection Phase (voting): 15 – 21 March 2019
- Announcement of selected candidate: around 22 March 2019
Nominations closed on Friday, 30 November 2018 at 23:59 UTC. The following candidates were nominated:
The comment phase began on 1 December 2018 and ended at 23.59 UTC on 15 January 2019. Comments can be viewed by clicking on each candidate’s page above.
After review of written questionnaires and according to ASO procedures, two candidates were phone interviewed by the ASO AC Interview Committee (IC) before proceeding to the Selection Phase.
The candidates who participated in the selection phase for the 2018 Seat 10 ICANN Board of Directors were:
After the conclusion of selection phase, Akinori Maemura was elected for a new term for the Seat 10 of the ICANN Board.
- 27 March 2019 ASO AC Selects Akinori Maemura to Serve in Seat 10 of the ICANN Board of Directors
- 1 Dec 2018: 2018/19 ICANN Board Seat 10 Elections Comment Phase Open
- 16 Nov 2018: Reminder Nomination for Board Seat 10 Open
- 15 Sept 2018: ASO AC Calls for Nominations for Seat 10 on the ICANN Board of Directors
- Detailed procedures for election of individuals to the ICANN Board of Directors by the ASO AC can be found in Section 9 of the ASO AC Operating Procedures.
If you have any questions about the elections or the election process, please contact secretariat [at] nro [dot] net.
Last modified on 02/07/2020