2021 ICANN Board of Directors Seat 9 Elections
In line with the ICANN Address Supporting Organization (ASO) Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and the ICANN Bylaws, the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) issued a call for nominations for Seat 9 of the ICANN Board of Directors.
The selected candidate will serve for a three-year term, which will begin at the conclusion of the ICANN Annual General Assembly to be held at the ICANN 72 Meeting, scheduled to take place on 23-28 October 2021 in Seattle, USA
All nominated candidates must meet the selection criteria and conflict of interest requirements as outlined in Article 7 of the ICANN Bylaws. Nominated candidates will undergo a due diligence review by an independent ICANN contractor.
The ICANN Bylaws state that the Directors selected by a Supporting Organization (SO) for its assigned Board seat(s) cannot reside in the same geographic region (see Section 7.2:c). The current ASO AC selection for Seat 10, Maemura Akinori, resides in the APNIC region. Therefore, no nominations for Seat 9 can be accepted from candidates residing in the APNIC region.
On 16 November 2020, the ASO AC decided to extend the nomination period one week beyond the original deadline of 15 November.
Community members were invited to submit nominations by email to nominations [at] aso [dot] icann [dot] org by Sunday, 22 November 2020 at 23:59 UTC.
The following candidates were nominated (sorted by their first name):
- Alan Barrett
- Johan Helsingius
- Kemly Camacho Jímenez
- Margarita Valdes
- Nigel Titley
- Patrick W. Gilmore
- Peter Thimmesch
- Ron da Silva
- Sean Kennedy
- Wafa Zaafouri
The comment phase started on 21 December 2020 and will end at 23.59 UTC on 30 March 2021. Comments can be submitted for candidates by clicking on the link next to their name above and adding a comment to their biography.
Please note that, as per section 9.4.5 of the ASO AC Operating Procedures, all comments will be moderated by the ASO Secretariat prior to being published on the ASO website.
- Nomination Phase: 15 September 2020 – 22 November 2020
- Comment Phase: 21 December 2020 – 30 March 2021
- ICANN Due Diligence for nominated candidates
- Interview Phase: 25 January 2021 – 30 March 2021
- Selection Phase (deliberation): 1 – 16 April 2021
- Selection Phase (voting): 19 – 25 April 2021
- Announcement of selected candidate: around 30 April 2021
- More information and updated announcements will be added to this page.
- Detailed procedures for the election of individuals to the ICANN Board of Directors by the ASO AC can be found in Section 9 of the ASO AC Operating Procedures.
- 2021 ICANN Board Seat 9 Elections: Comment Phase Open
- Nomination Period Extended – ASO AC Call for Nominations for Seat 9 on the ICANN Board of Directors
- ASO AC Call For Nominations for Seat 9 on the ICANN Board of Directors
If you have any questions about the elections or the election process, please contact secretariat [at] nro [dot] net.
Last modified on 21/12/2020