In line with the ICANN Address Supporting Organization (ASO) Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and the ICANN Bylaws, the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) has issued a call for nominations for Seat 9 of the ICANN Board of Directors.
The selected candidate will serve for a three-year term, which will begin at the conclusion of the ICANN Annual General Assembly at the ICANN 72 Meeting, scheduled from 23 to 28 October 2021 in Seattle, USA.
All nominated candidates must meet the selection criteria and conflict of interest requirements as outlined in Article 7 of the ICANN Bylaws. The nominated candidates will undergo a due diligence review by an independent ICANN contractor.
Community members are invited to submit nominations by email to nominations [at] aso [dot] icann [dot] org by Sunday, 15 November 2020 at 23:59 UTC.
Nominations must include the following information:
– The full name of the person being nominated.
– Contact email address of the person being nominated.
– Contact telephone number of the person being nominated.
– The full name of the person making the nomination.
– Contact email address for the person making the nomination.
– Contact telephone number of the person making the nomination.
The ICANN Bylaws state that the Directors selected by a Supporting Organization (SO) for its assigned Board seat(s) cannot reside in the same geographic region (see Section 7.2:c). The current ASO AC selection for Seat 10, Maemura Akinori, resides in the APNIC region. Therefore, no nominations for Seat 9 can be accepted from candidates residing in the APNIC region.
– Nomination Phase: 15 September 2020 – 15 November 2020
– Comment Phase: 21 December 2020 – 17 January 2021
ICANN Due Diligence for nominated candidates:
– Interview Phase: 25 January 2021 – 30 March 2021
– Selection Phase (deliberation): 1 – 16 April 2021
– Selection Phase (voting): 19 – 25 April 2021
– Announcement of selected candidate: around 30 April 2021
More information and updated announcements will be added to the dedicated 2021 Seat 9 elections page on the ASO website
Detailed procedures for election of individuals to the ICANN Board of Directors by the ASO AC can be found in Section 9 of the ASO AC Operating Procedures.
If you have any questions about the elections or the election process, please contact secretariat [at] nro [dot] net.
 Address Supporting Organization (ASO) Memorandum of Understanding 2019:
 ICANN Bylaws:
Last modified on 17/09/2020