The ASO AC has announced today it has extended its deadline for the nomination period for the selection of Seat 9 on the ICANN Board of Directors. Nominations will now close on Sunday 22 November at 23:59 UTC.
The selected candidate will serve for a three-year term, which will begin at the conclusion of the ICANN Annual General Assembly at the ICANN 72 Meeting, scheduled from 23-28 October 2021.
The election process is described below.
All nominated candidates must meet the selection criteria and conflict of interest requirements as outlined in Article 7 of the ICANN Bylaws. The nominated candidates will undergo a due diligence review by an independent ICANN contractor.
Community members are invited to submit nominations by email to nominations [at] aso [dot] icann [dot] org by Sunday, 22 November 2020 at 23:59 UTC.
Nominations must include the following information:
– The full name of the person being nominated
– Contact email address of the person being nominated
– Contact telephone number of the person being nominated
– The full name of the person making the nomination
– Contact email address for the person making the nomination
– Contact telephone number of the person making the nomination
The ICANN Bylaws state that the Directors selected by a Supporting Organization (SO) for its assigned Board seat(s) cannot reside in the same geographic region (see Section 7.2:c). The current ASO AC selection for Seat 10, Maemura Akinori, resides in the APNIC region. Therefore, no nominations for Seat 9 can be accepted from candidates residing in the APNIC region.
– Nomination Phase: 15 September 2020 – 22 November 2020
– Comment Phase: 21 December 2020 – 17 January 2021
– ICANN Due Diligence for nominated candidates
– Interview Phase: 25 January 2021 – 30 March 2021
– Selection Phase (deliberation): 1 – 16 April 2021
– Selection Phase (voting): 19 – 25 April 2021
– Announcement of selected candidate: around 30 April 2021
More information and updated announcements will be added to the dedicated 2021 Seat 9 elections page on the ASO website:
Detailed procedures for election of individuals to the ICANN Board of Directors by the ASO AC can be found in Section 9 of the ASO AC Operating Procedures:
If you have any questions about the elections or the election process, please contact secretariat [at] nro [dot] net.
 ICANN Bylaws:
Last modified on 17/11/2020