ASO - Address Supporting Organisation

ASO AC teleconference on Wednesday, 1 September 2004, 2100 (1900 UTC)


AC Attendees:

Mark McFadden (MM) – Chair
Eric Decker (ED)
Louis Lee (LL)
Kenny S. Huang (KH)
Takashi Arano (TA)
Hyun-Joon Kwon (HJK)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Wilfried Woeber (WW)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)

Observers:

Raimundo Beca (RB), ICANN board of directors
Barbara Roseman (BR), ICANN
John Crain (JC), ICANN
Ray Plzak (RP), ARIN
Paul Wilson (PW), APNIC
Anne Lord (AL), APNIC
Raul Echeberria (RE), LACNIC
Axel Pawlik (AP), RIPE NCC
Sabine Mader (SM), RIPE NCC – ASO Secretariat

Apologies: none

Minutes were taken by SM.

  1. Welcome and roll call of ASO AC members and observers
  2. Review and approval of previous meeting’s minutes
  3. Agenda bashing and improvement
  4. Status of open action items for the Address Council
  5. Review of the Global Policy Document submitted by the RIRs to the Address Council
  6. Roles and activities of the Address Council
  7. Report from the ICANN meeting in Kuala Lumpur
  8. Progress report on the ASO MoU
  9. ICANN NomCom reports
  10. Any other business and announcements
    10.1- AfriNIC application
    10.2 – IPv6 global policy proposal
  11. Adjournment

1. Welcome and roll call of ASO AC members and observers

The teleconference was opened at 2100 (1900 UTC). At 2112 (1912 UTC) the attendees, dialing in from the APNIC meeting in Fiji, joined the conference. As per roll call 10 members of the AC were present. The quorum of six was reached.

2. Review and approval of previous meeting’s minutes

The minutes of the previous meetings on 5 May 2004 and 7 July 2004 were approved. There were no change requests.

The minutes of the ASO General Assembly on 5 May 2004 were approved. There were no change requests.

Action #0409-01 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the AC meetings held on 5 May 2004 and 7 July 2004 on the ASO web pages.

Action #0409-02 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the ASO General Assembly on 5 May 2004 on the ASO web pages.

3. Agenda bashing and improvement

The following topics were proposed:

  • AfriNIC application (RP)
  • status of the proposed IPv6 global policy (WW)

It was agreed that these topics be discussed under agenda point AOB.
There were no other changes to the agenda.

4. Status of open action items for the Address Council

The action item list was reviewed.
The Chair noted that all action items were completed.
There were no further questions.

5. Review of the Global Policy Document submitted by the RIRs to the Address Council.

The Chair reported that the global policy proposal document was submitted by the NRO EC to the Address Council.
PW, on behalf of the NRO EC, recently forwarded a revised version of the policy document as amended by the RIRs and IANA.

The Chair reviewed the proposed document and proposed that the AC would proceed as follows:

  1. to reach consensus among the AC on the proposed procedure
  2. to ensure consensus that the RIRs followed the procedures
  3. the AC to put actions on Chair and Secretariat to forward the proposal to the ICANN Board and to notify the NRO.

There were no objections to this plan of action.

The Chair asked the regional representatives whether there were concerns that the RIRs followed the procedure and met the criteria in the policy development.

ARIN region:
There were no concerns.

RIPE NCC region:
There were no concerns.
HPH added that the procedure was followed.

LACNIC region:
There were no concerns about the process of how this global policy was developed.

APNIC region:
There were no concerns.

The Chair declared that there is consensus among the AC.

The Chair proposed that the Address Council:

  • directs the Chair of the AC to forward the proposal to the ICANN Board with an indication that the ICANN Board may consult with the ASO Address Council regarding the matter (this to be done by 3 September 2004); [Action #0409-03 CHAIR]
  • directs the Chair of the AC to officially notify the NRO of its action, the date it took that action and a copy of the transmittal to the ICANN Board (this to be done by 3 September 2004); and, [Action #0409-04 CHAIR]
  • directs the Chair and Secretariat to prepare and post a news item announcing this action on the ASO AC web site. [Action #0409-05 CHAIR/SEC]

6. Roles and activities of the Address Council.

HPH reported about discussions with other AC members that the activities have been less and less over the last 6-9 months. He asked what could be done in order to increase the AC’s activity level.

The Chair commented that once the ASO MoU is signed tasks will be spelt out.

HPH stated that we have to distinguish between the outlined tasks in the ASO MoU and that we are also members of the communities with the need to use coordination of policies also apart from the role as AC.

WW added that he misses informal communication and workshop type meetings and would like to make that happen again in the near future.

LL seconded to review the role and the activities of the AC and that the AC should continue to revisit it to be kept focused.

7. Report from the ICANN meeting in Kuala Lumpur

[ RB joined the teleconference 2138 (1938 UTC) ]

HG gave a report from the ICANN meeting in Kuala Lumpur and reported some communication problems. It was offered to clarify the misunderstandings.

HG further reported that the budget was discussed with a lot of input from all sides. A new public comment period was opened. HG understood that it will be a new 90 days comment period.

One very positive point was about AfriNIC and that they gave a good presentation and introduced very positive information.

ED asked what exactly were the points/the nature of miscommunication? HG reported that apparently the GAC did not have the latest draft of the document so that discussion was not based on the correct document.

RB elaborated that in the GAC meeting some members have concerns about the NRO and the ASO MoU. They were talking about the documents of Nov 2003. The Chairman of the GAC asked two days ago for the latest version of the document.

The Chair asked PW to further elaborate on the situation. PW explained that the document was not discussed among the GAC before the expiry of the comment period and that this was leading to the communication problems.

RB stated that it must be ensured that the GAC is discussing the right document.

HG reported that due to a lot of communication at the Fiji meeting the miscommunication could be resolved. HG advised that the AC does not take action on the ASO MoU at this time.

8. Progress report on the ASO MoU.

There was no progress reported.

9. ICANN NomCom reports

HG reported about the upcoming NomCom face-to-face meeting in Paris pointing out that he is bound by a non-disclosure agreement not to share any confidential information.

More than 80 submissions were received and will be reviewed and discussed with all members of the NomCom to finish the final nominations for 9 vacant positions within ICANN:

  • ICANN Board of Directors – 3 Members
  • Council of Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) – 1 Member
  • Council of Country-Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) – 3 Members
  • At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) – 2 Members

There were no further questions.

10. Any other business and announcements.

10.1 RP reported that AfriNIC formally presented their application for recognition to ICANN during the plenary session at the APNIC meeting in Fiji.

The Chair noted that this was outstanding news.

MM asked for the timeframe of the application process of LACNIC.
RP stated that LACNIC’s full recognition took one year.

RP further reported that the NRO EC decided to establish a single point of interface to the AfriNIC process. Richard Jimmerson was appointed by the NRO EC as a coordinator by 1 Sep 2004.

10.2 proposal for allocation of IPv6 address space from IANA to the RIRs WW asked for a statement about the current status of the proposed IPv6 policy issue and whether there is any discussion in the other regions.

MM reported for the ARIN region that there is discussion on mailing lists and in face-to-face meetings as part of ARIN’s normal policy development process.

RP reported that the Advisory Council has taken action that it should be moved forward in the process, i.e. the Advisory Council will recommend a last call and then will transfer it to the ARIN Board of Trustees for ratification.

[ The AC members (calling in from the APNIC meeting in Fiji) were disconnected ].

WW proposed to send a summary of further questions to the ac-coord list.

11. Adjournment.

The meeting was adjourned at 2220


Open Action item list:

Action #0405-01 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the AC meeting held on 10 March 2004 on the ASO website
DONE

Action #0405-02 Chair AC/SEC
To inform the Nomination Committee about the candidate appointed by the AC
DONE

Action #0405-03 Chair/Sec
The AC directs the Chair and the ASO secretariat to inform ICANN that RB has been elected by the AC by consensus to fill the board position on the ICANN BoD currently held by Lyman Chapin.
DONE

Action #0405-04 Chair/Sec
The AC directs the Chair to notify RB and Lyman Chapin of its consensus decision. In addition the Chair will offer Lyman Chapin the opportunity to be the nominee of the AC to the Nom Com as candidate for ICANN’s Board.
DONE

New action items:

Action #0409-01 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the AC meetings held on 5 May 2004 and 7 July 2004 on the ASO web pages

Action #0409-02 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the ASO General Assembly on 5 May 2004 on the ASO web pages

Action #0409-03 CHAIR
The AC directs the Chair of the AC to forward the proposal to the ICANN Board with an indication that the ICANN Board may consult with the ASO Address Council regarding the matter (this to be done by 3 September 2004);

Action #0409-04 CHAIR
The AC directs the Chair of the AC to officially notify the NRO of its action, the date it took that action and a copy of the transmittal to the ICANN Board (this to be done by 3 September 2004); and,

Action #0409-05 CHAIR/SEC
The AC directs the Chair and Secretariat to prepare and post a news item announcing this action ( #0409-03) on the ASO AC web site.

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC):

Action #0307-03 SEC
Secretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed. This action will be held open until there is a new MoU.
Open/Stalled

The ASO is a supporting organization of ICANN