• Born in San Salvador, El Salvador, March 29, 1957.
• Married, three children, two grandchildren.
• Electrical Engineer, Universidad Centroamericana “José Simeón Cañas” (UCA), El Salvador, 1982
• Bachelor in Business Administration, Universidad Centroamericana “José Simeón Cañas” (UCA), El Salvador, 1986
• Master in New Technologies of Information and Communications, Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (UNED), Madrid, Spain, 2005
• Computer Maintenance engineer (National Cash Register NCR, El Salvador) (January 1981 to December 1983)
• Production Equipment Maintenance Section Head (Texas Instruments, Inc. El Salvador) (January 1984 to September 1986)
• CIO of Universidad Centroamericana “José Simeón Cañas” (www.uca.edu.sv) (September 1986 to January 2014)
• President and Executive Director of Asociación SVNet (www.svnet.sv, SV ccTLD NGO) (February 2014 to present).
• Consultant for several private and public, national and international companies in the area of Information Technology, use of Internet and sustainable development, for almost 40 years.
• Director of several academy undergraduate papers to obtain bachelor degrees in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Business Administration, Law, Media and Journalism; and for postgraduate degrees in Education Policy and Political Science.
• School and University teacher for several years, in areas such as Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, and others.
• Speaker at numerous conferences, lectures, symposia, seminars, workshops, both nationally and internationally.
Awards and Recognition
• 2021 Induction to the Internet Hall of Fame (https://www.internethalloffame.org/), December 14, 2021, On line ceremony.
• 2020 Life Time Achievement Award “Premio Trayectoria 2020″, awarded by LACNIC, October 6, 2020, On line ceremony.
• 2018 G’NIUS Award, Awarded by Universidad Tecnológica de El Salvador, November 22, 2018, San Salvador, El Salvador.
• Gran Ciudadano Digital (Great Digital Citizen), Awarded by Fab Lab organization, May 17, 2018, San Salvador, El Salvador.
• Salvadoran of the Month, appointment granted by the organization Mediolleno, January 2014
• Recognition for his contribution to the development of Internet, Tenth anniversary LACNIC, October 2012, Montevideo, Uruguay.
• Tribute from the Cultural Center of Spain in El Salvador: “Breakfast with … Lito Ibarra”, May 13, 2012
• Recognized in public media as the “Father of the Internet in El Salvador”, due to his work in connecting the country to Internet.
• Honorary Member of ASPROC (Salvadoran Association of Computer Professionals)
• “Honorary Golden @” 2005 Prize, awarded by Elsalvador.com (elsalvador.com) and El Diario de Hoy, for his role as “the father of the Internet” in El Salvador (September 27, 2005)
• ASPROC Award 2003 as Professional of the Year. (ASPROC: Salvadoran Association of Computer Professionals) (October 5, 2003).
• Best high school graduate student, Externado San José School, El Salvador, 1975.
• Member of the ICANN Board (www.icann.org) (October 2015 to October 2021)
• Member of the LACNIC Board (www.lacnic.net) (Internet Addresses Registry for Latin America and the Caribbean) (January 2010 to December 2018)
• Founder and first President of LACTLD (Latin American and Caribbean Top Level Domains) (www.lactld.org) (September 2001 to March 2004).
• Member of the LACTLD Board (April 2006 to May 2012)
• Member of the RedCLARA Board (www.redclara.net) (Latin American Cooperation of Advanced Networks) (December 2002 to November 2004 and June 2009 to November 2011).
• Original and legacy manager (Admin contact) for the SV ccTLD (1994 to present, ccTLD delegation and IP addresses received from Jon Postel).
• Founder and President of SVNet (www.svnet.org.sv) (Organization that manages SV top level domain names and a B block of IP addresses) (1994 to present).
• Founder and Executive Manager of the Internet Exchange Point El Salvador (IXSal), a project under SVNet (September 2020 to present).
• Founder and President of Internet Society Chapter El Salvador (April 2014 to present).
• Founder and Member of the Board of Asociación Infocentros (December 1998 to June 2009).
• Founder and Executive Member of the Board Asociación Conexión al Desarrollo de El Salvador (www.conexion.sv) (December 1998 to present).
• Founding member of Open Hardware SV (March 2013 to present)
• Founder and Member of the Board of Asociación Fab Lab El Salvador (January 2014 to present).
• Founder and President of RAICES (Salvadoran Advanced Network Research, Science and Education) (National Research and Education Network) (www.raices.org.sv) (October 2002 to present).
• Member of the Board of Escuela Especializada en Ingenieria ITCA-FEPADE (Higher Education Institution) (www.itca.edu.sv) (October 2009 to March 2010) and (October 2013 to present)
• Director for the ICT (Information and Communications Technology) Cluster for the Higher Education for Economic Development IAB Program (2015 – 2017)
• Member of the Governor’s Assembly, Banco de Desarrollo de El Salvador (Development Bank) (March 2015 to present)
• Member of the Board of the Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (CONACYT) of El Salvador (National Council for Science and Technology) (www.conacyt.gob.sv) (October 2002 to December 2012).
Private Sector and Enterprises
• Founding member and President of the Club of Knowledge Transfer and Exchange (November 2010 to present).
• Member of the Board of TBox (formerly Futurekids) (www.tboxplanet.com) (July 2004 to present).
• Coordinator RIBIE (www.ribie.org) (Red Iberoamericana de Informática Educativa) El Salvador (September 1999 to present).
• Member of the Advisory Council on the Caribbean and Central America region for Alliance Programme for Education of Microsoft (Partners in Learning) (July 2006 to 2018)
• Member of the Advisory Board of Fundaungo (December 2014 to present).
• Member of the Board of INSER, S.A. de C.V. (Since its inception to present).
• Member of the Board of Pagadito (www.pagadito.com) (July 2017 to present).
• Member of the Board of INNBox (www.innbox.sv), (May 2017 to present).
• Member of the Board of Mido (August 2018 to present).
• Attendance as a participant to several LACNIC, RIPE, ARIN, APTLD, AFRINIC, LACTLD, IETF and ICANN meetings, in different dates
• National Expert for the nomination of candidates for the World Summit Award (2003, to present).
• Jury in several technological, mobile and web applications contests (several years).
• Organizer and coordinator for several events, such as hackathons, innovation rallies, application development challenges, etc.
• Organizer of the first Museum of Internet and Information Technology in El Salvador (www.unpocodehistoria.sv)
• Promoter and coordinator of the installation of the first IoT (Internet of Things) antenna in El Salvador, at SVNet’s office.
• Weekly Blog in La Prensa Grafica “Convesaciones en Línea” (“Online Conversations”) http://blogs.laprensagrafica.com/litoibarra/ (November 2008 to present, more than 635 entries)
• Several online articles in www.svnet.org.sv, and in many on line publications.
• Newspaper columns in three of the major Salvadoran newspapers, starting in March 1998 until November 2008, when he changed to a blog publication.
• Miscellaneous publications in newspapers, magazines, book sections, graduate works, both in paper and on line (several dates).
Last modified on January 5th, 2022 at 09:47