Ron da Silva – 2021 ICANN Board Seat 9
RON DA SILVA
BROADBAND ENGINEERING AND INTERNET EXECUTIVE
Connecting the World to the Internet
Executive leader, international board member and internet technology expert with over twenty-five (25+) years of proven business experience, culminating in senior executive leadership. Experienced leading network architecture, engineering and operations; building internet backbones, broadband, data centers; and advancing corporate and internet governance. NACD certified Board Governance Fellow. Strategically astute and financially diligent, with broad technological understanding with deep knowledge of cyber security risk. Core competencies include:
• Executive Management
• Operations and Engineering
• Corporate Governance
• Technology Strategy
QUANTUM LOOPHOLE, Austin, TX 2020 – current
Vice President – Operations
Building and operating master planned, decarbonized cloud communities, richly connected, gigawatt scaled and environmentally progressive.
LOUDOUN COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION, Leesburg, VA 2018 – current
Commissioner, Dulles District
Providing advice to the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors on issues pertaining to the county’s cable TV franchise operations; open video system (OVS) service providers; and broadband related issues.
NETWORK TECHNOLOGIES GLOBAL, Ashburn, Va 2017 – current
Advising investment bankers, private equity and institutional fund managers on the internet service provider, telecommunications and broadband technologies sectors.
ICANN, Los Angeles, CA 2015 – current
Global $150M not-for-profit public benefit company.
International Board Member
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is responsible for coordinating the global Internet’s systems of unique identifiers. Building on internet governance experience and industry leadership, elected to represent the service provider and numbering community. Hard-working with fiduciary focus, technical and operational expertise.
• Committees: Finance (Chair), Governance, Audit, Compensation, Technology
INTERNET TOOL AN DIE COMPANY, Herndon, VA 2018 – 2019
Launched startup building professional-grade tools to make the internet run better.
CERTIFIED TRUE, NYC, NY 2017 – 2018
CIO and Co-Founder
Launched startup providing trustworthy documentation, blockchain verified and securely stored, for legal, insurance and real estate professionals.
TIME WARNER CABLE, (acquired by Charter 2016), Herndon, VA 2004 – 2016
U.S. based $40B internet, voice and cable TV company.
Group Vice President, Network Engineering, Architecture & Technology (2015 – 2016)
Provided executive leadership in emerging technologies, network strategy and overall scaling for company’s next generation broadband architecture and networking infrastructure. Managed team of 80 engineers, with $50M direct / $800M indirect budget responsibility for all networking components from customer premise, HFC DOCSIS and fiber access, routing/switching/optical networking, data center hosting and internet interconnectivity.
• Developed FTTH strategy, competitively positioning the company against Verizon, Google and other fiber services to the home.
Vice President, Network Engineering, Architecture and Technology (2011 – 2015)
Joined the senior leadership team to lead overall network strategy and technology direction for Time Warner Cable’s networks. Responsible for financial decisions, selecting technology partners, and continued leadership of corporate engineering.
• Championed Network Convergence – combined diverse video, voice, data and business services networks, reducing capital costs and reducing operations.
• Developed IPv6 strategy – implemented dual-stack functionality, prolonged run-out and promoted industrywide adoption, protecting the company’s long-term ability to provide internet access.
Senior Director, Network Engineering, Architecture & Technology (2005 – 2011)
Increased responsibility to define network standards, scale existing infrastructure and develop new technologies for the access, metro, regional, national backbone and data center networks for optics, switching and routing.
• Deployed national backbone with $800M NPV, a nation-wide network interconnecting all the markets that the company operates.
• The first North American MSO to break 100 Mbps using DOCSIS, creating a new milestone for broadband access in the U.S.
Director, Broadband Technology (2004 – 2005)
Responsible for technology development, evaluating new products, emerging technologies, start-up companies and representing TWC at standards development organizations. Initial areas of responsibility were focused around the convergence of video, data and voice products.
AMERICAN ONLINE, Reston, VA 1998 – 2004
Principal Network Architect
Rapidly promoted through technical ranks from an Operations Engineer to the leading Architect.
• Created international tier-1 backbone for AOL, Time Warner Cable and other Time Warner subsidiaries (atdn.net), significantly reducing operating expenses for newly combined enterprise.
• Prototyped and designed VPN service, later used by AOL’s millions of subscribers’ dial-up access using standards based L2TP technology.
• Integrated Mirabilis ICQ and Netscape networks after acquisitions, reducing operating expenses through network synergies.
Prior Experience Includes: 1992 – 1998
SPRINT, Network Engineer, 1996 – 1998
BAUER COMPRESSORS, Production Planning, Technical Writing, 1992 – 1996
High Performance Leadership Certificate
IMD BUSINESS SCHOOL
DREXEL UNIVERSITY’S LEBOW COLLEGE OF BUSINESS
Leadership Program in the Alps
FOUNDATION FOR NATURAL LEADERSHIP
Board Fellowship Certification
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CORPORATE DIRECTORS
BS, Applied Mathematics and English
OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE / AFFILIATIONS
Forest Manor HOA Board, Vice President 2005 – 2007, 2015 – current
CEED Funds Board, Treasurer 2013 – 2019
ICANN ASO Address Council, 2011 – 2015
ARIN Advisory Council, Chair 2003 – 2007, Vice Chair 2002
SCTE – Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers, active since 2004
ISOC – Internet Society DC Chapter, active since 2004
IETF – Internet Engineering Task Force, active since 1997
Greenbriar Pool Club Board, Treasurer 2003 – 2004
Last modified on 21/12/2020