AC Attendees:

Raimundo Beca (RB)
Eric Decker (ED)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Kenny Huang (KH)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)
Mark McFadden (MM)
Wilfried Woeber (WW)

Listener/Observers:

Adiel Akplogan (AA)

ARIN:

Richard Jimmerson, ASO Secretariat (SEC)
Raymond Plzak (RP)

LACNIC:

Raul Echeberria (RE)

RIPE NCC:

Axel Pawlik (AP)

ICANN:

Barbara Roseman (BR)

Draft Agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Apologies Received
  3. Agenda Bashing
  4. Formal Approval of the Minutes of December 4, 2002.
  5. Status of Open Action Items
  6. ICANN BoD Transition
  7. ASO AC Role of the Chair
  8. ASO AC Chair Election
  9. Nomcom
  10. January Workshop Report from the Agenda Committee
  11. ASO GA Report from the Agenda Committee
  12. Any Other Business (AOB)
  13. Adjournment

    1. Welcome

HPH opened the call at 22:09 UTC. Due to the resignation of Barbara Roseman as the ASO AC Chair, the two Vice Chairmen, KH and HPH, were chosen by the AC to Chair this teleconference. In Agenda Item #8, below, the AC will elect a new Chairman, and at that time, that person will resume the task.

    1. Apologies Received

Apologies received from: Takashi Arano.

Absent: Julian Dunayevich, Seung-Min Lee.

    1. Agenda bashing

HPH asked if there were any comments about the agenda. There were no comments.

    1. Formal Approval of the Minutes from December 4, 2002

HPH entertained a motion to approve. MM moved to approve the Minutes from December 4, 2002 and this was seconded by HG. All were in favor and the motion passed unanimously.

    1. Status of Open Action Items

HPH asked the SEC to go over the list.

Open action item list

Action #0206-02 JC
Post responses to ICANN evolution and reform report to the ASO list. ON-GOING. The SEC asked if this should be left on this list. WW, MM andKH stated they did not think it should be, since the ICANN reform waswell underway. All agreed to taking this item off of this list. Closed.
Action #0209-01 SEC
Discuss location of web page (RIR vs. ASO) to post status of RFC 2050 and create web page. SEC stated that this was going up on a RIR web page and that it would be up by the close of the week. WW asked if each RIR would provide a link. The SEC stated that ARIN will keep the site up to date, and all will have links to it. Open
Action #0212-01 CHAIR/ARIN STAFF
Compose letter to ICANN Board regarding BoD transition proposal requesting that it is contingent upon the ICANN transition. RP stated that this had been overcome by events and that this item should be closed. All agreed. Closed
Action #0212-02 AGENDA COMMITTEE
Post Draft Agenda for the January Workshop to the list prior to the next scheduled AC teleconference. SEC stated this had been done. Closed
Action #0212-03 SEC
Gather information by the end of the year 2002 regarding support from the RIRs to the AC for the ICANN Nomcom for 2003 only. RP stated that ICANN has not responded, and that between the CEOs of the RIRs it had been decided that they would not take a position until they see what ICANN’s position will be. Open
Action #0212-05 SEC
Post the date of the next ASO AC face to face meeting in Chile to the list. This has been done. Closed

Shelf list [items pending action outside the ASO AC]

Action #12-4 RIRs/IANA
Resource request procedure document.RP stated that this has been updated. IANA sent a message in late December, 2002, with comments on the document, and the RIRs will be responding to the IANA. MM asked at what point the RIRs will have a response. RP stated this should be done sometime in January. Open

    1. ICANN BoD Transition

HPH stated that the AC made a decision on what to do on this during the last teleconference. The views on the list suggested that this decision should be formally made after the ICANN Board meeting in December 2002. HPH asked for any comments. WW stated that it would be a good idea to reinforce by a formal decision.

HPH reiterated the AC’s decision from the last teleconference: Lyman Chapin would be appointed to Seat 10 which expires 6 months after the ICANN GA in 2003, Mouhamet Diop would be appointed to seat 9 which expires 6 months after the ICANN GA in 2005, and the term for the Director lasting through 2003, would last throughout the transition until December 2003, as an observer. HPH entertained a motion to approve this decision. RB moved to approve and this was seconded by MM. The motion passed unanimously.

At this time, 22:24 UTC, BR, from ICANN, joined the call and stated that the Director whose term ended in 2003 had declined to remain as Director throughout the transition, and would be leaving the position when the term ended.

    1. ASO AC role of the Chair

Discussion ensued and it was decided that the role of the AC Chair was important to the AC not only in an administrative function, but also as a central point of contact to facilitate communication between the AC, and the RIRs, and the community.

    1. ASO AC Chair Election

HPH called for nominations. RB nominated HG, WW nominated HPH, and the SEC stated that ED proposed MM on the list.

HPH suggested each nominee say a few words on how much time they would be able to put into this responsibility, and then the AC would move forward with the election. BR interjected that the idea of having co-chairs was to help spread the Chair’s responsibility, and strongly suggested that if there were constraints on the Chair to participate, co-chairs could step in when the Chair could not be present. Each nominee then stated their position:

HG stated that since LACNIC was new to the RIR family, he appreciated the nomination and was ready to support the AC, but did not feel ready to be the Chair.

MM stated that he was willing to serve as AC Chair. He stated that he is able to attend ICANN meetings regularly and was also able to attend RIR meetings. He stated he would be in Amsterdam later this month at the RIPE meeting, and also presenting at the APNIC meeting. He said he was sensitive to the concept of the Chair as a conduit to the important decisions made, and to all of the members on the AC.

HPH stated that he could not be present at all of the ICANN meetings, but could Chair the teleconferences. He said he supported MM and HG as nominations to the Chair, but that if HG is not ready, his vote would to MM. WW then asked if any of the nominees would be prepared to collaborate as a Co-Chair. MM thanked HPH for his words, and stated that he would be very happy to work with others as Co-Chair. HPH and HG also answered affirmatively.

WW then stated that due to ICANN being U.S.-centric, he fully supported MM as a possible Chair, but did see merit in having a Chair who was not based in the U.S., and preferred HPH over MM for the position. HPH responded that the AC needed visibility. He was comfortable that he could add the visibility and make himself heard, however, with his day job and extended responsibilities in the Nordic region, he could not commit to anything serious in the coming year.

SJ reminded everyone that a Co-Chair could help the Chair as a representative at ICANN meetings. KH felt that both MM and HPH were very good candidates and agreed that when the Chair was limited, a Co-Chair could share the workload. HG then stated that from he had been attending ICANN meetings for 4 years and was willing to continue to attend them. There were no further comments. The SEC then read the procedure for election.

At this time, 23:08 UTC, ED joined the call. HPH updated ED on the call. HPH asked the SEC for a roll call vote. The outcome was 4 votes for MM and 4 votes for HPH. HPH withdrew his candidacy due to his earlier statement of time constraints, and asked the AC to fully support MM as Chair. HPH further commented that he was willing to serve as Co-Chair for the coming year. MM thanked HPH for his words and requested that if this was accepted, then HPH and HG become Co-Chairs and share responsibility in the event of his absence as Chair. HPH and HG both agreed to support this as well, with HPH being the first Co-Chair and HG being the second.

The SEC asked for any objections to MM being the sole candidate. There were no objections. All congratulated MM as the new Chair of the ASO AC. The Chair (MM) asked if there were any objections to HPH and HG as Co-Chairs, in accordance with the procedures. There were no objections.

    1. Nomcom

The Chair asked BR to brief the AC on this issue. BR stated that a request had been made to the ICANN director whose term will end prematurely (S.H. Kyong) asking if he would be interested in assuming the first NomCom seat, and he responded by email that he would not be interested. The Chair then explained that this left a vacancy and the options to fill it: The Chair of AC could serve on the Nomcom; the AC could select someone from its members as a Nomcom representative; or, the AC could move forward with an open call for nominations. He then asked for any comments. RB felt there should be an open call for nominations. The Chair stated that he would not be interested in serving on the Nomcom. RP stated that no procedure or process was currently place to elect someone to the Nomcom, and that it made sense to follow RB’s suggestion for open call and to elect an interim-representative from the AC until a formal election takes place. BR stated that an interim person would be effective since someone would be needed early in year for the first Nomcom meeting. SJ called for an interim volunteer, and ED volunteered.

The Chair asked if everyone agreed with RB’s suggestion. All agreed with no objections. The Chair also asked for any other volunteers. BR stated that the purpose of the initial meeting of Nomcom was to get up and running, with nominees to be in place by June for the Board. The volunteer would be very busy between now and June.

The Chair stated that since there was not yet a date for next Nomcom, the decision did not need to be made at this point. He made the following suggestion: since some AC members were not present on this call, and there was a vacancy, the AC should make nominations until 7 days prior to face to face meeting in Amsterdam later this month. The deadline for nominations would be January 20, 2003. During the face-to-face meeting, the AC would decide to elect someone for the one-year term, giving them a chance to speak with GV and any other candidates. He also stated that the elected candidate could use that year to develop procedures for filling this position in the future. The Chair reconfirmed the two current nominees: Eric Decker and German Valdez. There were no objections.

WW asked if there could be a vote on it during the next formal teleconference in the first week of February. The Chair was supportive of this.

RB stated that AfriNIC observers should be able to nominate as well. HPH supported this and stated that they could nominate candidates through him. The Chair had no objection to this suggestion. HG stated that observers have the right to nominate, but cannot vote. The Chair thanked him for this clarification.

    1. January Workshop Report from the Agenda Committee

HPH asked SJ to present this information. SJ stated that there were five items: 1. Election process documentation – Board members, Chair & co-chairs, NomCom, 2. NRR and implications on the ASO/AC; 3. Guidelines for the new MoU; 4. Road plan for the coming year; and, 5. Preparation of the GA agenda. WW suggested adding to allow for electronic voting in addition to face-to-face meetings and teleconferences. The Chair requested SJ to add this to agenda.

Discussion ensued on the time the meeting should begin and end. The Chair then asked for a roll call for attendees at the face-to-face meeting in Amsterdam. Eight out of eleven would be present. If no one from APNIC could attend, conference call services would be arranged. The Chair thanked SJ for her work on the agenda, and asked her to forward one more revision back to the list. She agreed.

    1. ASO GA Report from the Agenda Committee

This was to be completed by the Chair, RB and Anne Lord, but the Chair admitted that it was not complete and requested the SEC to add it as an action item to the list to have it completed before the meeting in Amsterdam. The SEC agreed.

    1. Any Other Business (AOB)

HPH requested the status of the transfer of the AC Secretariat from ARIN to APNIC, and for any comments on the e-mail regarding ICANN Budgets that he had circulated to the list. The SEC stated that the transfer of the SEC from ARIN to APNIC was practically complete. The web, mailing lists and administrative tasks were passed to APNIC, with ARIN having access. ARIN was hosting this call, per APNIC’s request, and would distribute the minutes and action items as the Secretariat. APNIC would take over the role of the SEC at the workshop in Amsterdam and have all the action items. The Chair and the AC thanked the ARIN SEC for all his work and efforts over the past year. RJ thanked Therese Colosi for all of her hard work on the minutes and arranging the teleconferences during 2002.

The Chair requested the status of replacing BR’s position on the AC due to her resignation. RP replied that the ARIN Board would meet this coming Friday and discuss the matter. He stated that normally the position would have gone to the person with the next highest amount of votes in the previous ASO AC election, however that person declined the position. The remaining 2 people did not have enough votes. He further stated that the Board would discuss the procedure and the means of selecting someone since the MoU is silent on this subject, leaving it up to the RIR on how to select someone.

Regarding the ICANN Budget, the Chair requested that HPH coordinate with the RIRs, and get feedback to ICANN. He requested this be added as an action item to the list.

    1. Adjournment

There being no other business and no further comments, the Chair called for a motion to adjourn at 23:56 UTC. WW moved to adjourn, and this was seconded by HPH. The motion passed unanimously.


Open action item list

Action #0209-01 SEC
Discuss location of web page (RIR vs. ASO) to post status of RFC 2050 and create web page. SEC stated that this was going up on the RIR web page and apologized to MM for all the information he provided and the fact that the web page was still not there. The SEC stated it would be up by the close of the week. WW asked if each RIR would provide a link. The SEC stated that ARIN will keep the site up to date, and all will have links to it. Open
Action #0212-03 SEC
Gather information regarding support from the RIRs to the AC for the ICANN Nomcom for 2003 only. RP stated that ICANN has not responded, and that between the CEOs of the RIRs it had been decided that they would not take a position until they see what ICANN’s position will be. Open
Action #0301-01 SJ
January Workshop Report from the Agenda Committee. SJ to send revised Agenda to the list. Open
Action #0301-02 CHAIR, RB, Anne Lord
ASO GA Report from the Agenda Committee. Chair, RB, Anne Lord. To be completed before the Workshop in January in Amsterdam. Open
Action #0301-03 HPH
ICANN Budget. HPH to coordinate with the RIRs, and get feedback to ICANN. Open

Shelf list [items pending action outside the ASO AC]

Action #12-4 RIRs/IANA
Resource request procedure document. RP stated that this has been updated. IANA sent a message in late December, 2002, with comments on the document, and the RIRs will be responding to the IANA. MM asked at what point the RIRs will have a response. RP stated this should be done sometime in January.