Present:

Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Cathy Wittbrodt (CJW)
Raimundo Beca (RB)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)
Wilfried Woeber (WW)
Takashi Arano (TA) joined later
Louis Touton (LT)
John Crain (JC)
German Valdez (GV)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Ray Plzak (RP)
Richard Jimmerson (RJ)
Mirjam Kuehne (MK)

Apologies received for this meeting:

Seung Min Lee (SML)
Jianping Wu (JW)
Barbara Roseman (BR)
Ant Brooks (AB)
Paul Wilson (PW)

Agenda:
1. Welcome
2. Apologies received
3. Agenda bashing
4. Notes from informal April 2001 meeting
5. Status of open actions
6. Formal responses from the AC
   - ICANN/NSI agreement
   - Closure of AD Hoc group (Holmes/McFadden Report)
7. Report from Open Forums
   - RIPE 39
8. AC attendance at upcoming meetings
    ICANN, Stockholm, 1 - 4 June 2001
    INET, Stockholm: 5 - 8 June 2001
9. ICANN Board of Directors, candidates and election criteria
10. AOB

1. Welcome

HPH starts meeting by 22:19 UTC 

It was noted that no AC member from the APNIC region was
present. However, the MOU states the following:

"In order to conduct business at any meeting of the Address Council,
at least a quorum of members must be present; a quorum shall be
present when at least a majority of the members of the Address Council
are present, and when such members represent at least 2/3rds of the
Signing RIRs."

It was therefor decided that a quorum was reached.

2. Apologies received

see above

3. Agenda Bashing

HPH suggests to discuss any AOB before agenda item 9. ICANN Board
election process, so that RB will be able to participate in the AOB
agenda point.

No AOB, no additions, agenda approved

4. Notes from informal April meeting

April notes have approved
ACTION 0105-1 SEC: change status of April notes on web site

5. Status of open actions

TA joins the telephone conference at this point.

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document 
     to the AC
- - OPEN 
  IANA will send a response to the RIRs before the next AC meeting.

0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities
- - OPEN
  Low priority due to low interest at open AC forums

0104-1 SEC: find out if enough AC members are available at the
      agreed dates for the May and June telephone conference,
      otherwise re-schedule to second Wednesday of month.
- - DONE
  May meeting re-scheduled to today's call
  Poll at the call resulted in decision to have the next telephone
  conference on 6 June (first Wednesday in June) CJW, HG, SJ, WW, RB,
  HPH will be available.

0104-2 HPH: re-submit Emerging-RIR document to ICANN
- - DONE
  RB points out a typo in the resolution that was sent to ICANN and
  proposes to send a corrected version with the word 'adapt' replaced by
  the word 'adopt'.  

  New ACTION 0105-2 SEC: to send the changed text of the Emerging-RIR 
	     document resolution to HPH so that he can re-submit the 
	     corrected resolution to ICANN.

0104-3 BR/SJ: to complete the list of AC chair tasks
- - OPEN

0104-4 CJW: propose process for nomination and election procedure for AC chair
- - OPEN
  Action was clarified: a paragraph is needed that describes how and
  when the AC chair is elected.

0104-5 SEC: mark those candidates on the ASO web site that are not
       eligible based on the geographic distribution criteria in the
       ICANN bylaws.  
- - DONE

0104-6 SEC: set up elections mailing list
- - DONE

6. Formal responses from the AC

6.1. ad hoc group: HPH thinks a formal acknowledgement needs to be sent to
ICANN. He sent a proposal to the AC mailing list, some comments were
made:

- - Add 'Address Council' at beginning of next to last paragraph.  

- - Replace 'thanks to Mark McFadden and Tony Holmes' with 'thanks to
  the authors'
- - 'Forums' to 'fora'
- - Delete the paragraph that talks about RIR address utilisation work
  co-ordination. Suggestion that the RIRs would react to that.  RP
  seconds this.

ACTION 0105-3 HPH: to re-submit changed text (acknowledgement of receipt
	      of the McFadden/Holmes document) as agreed
ACTION 0105-4 HPH: to co-ordinate with the RIRs (MK, RP), so that they
              can send their reactions concerning the McFadden/Holmes 
	      document

6.2. ICANN/NSI agreement.  

LT suggests to deal with this similar to the proposal for additional
TLDs (confirmation needed that the agreement will not have an affect
on address related issues) 

WW asks if the ICANN Board has already decided on this issue? If there
is even a small chance that the issue will be re-discussed by the
ICANN Board, a serious response by the AC is needed.

HPH thinks that if the AC were to claim that the agreement would not
have an affect on the IP address space distribution, then the AC
really needs to study the agreement.

WW points out that the agreement is rather long and written in legal
language that is difficult to understand.

JC believes that the AC would only need to look at issues that might
be related to IP address matters. LT believes that there actually
might be issues related to IP addresses. He agrees with HPH that the
agreement requires the attention of the AC.

WW suggests to postpone a formal AC response until next meeting.

ACTION 0105-5 LT: to send a list of URLs and sections of the 
	      ICANN/VeriSign agreement that might be relevant for 
	      the AC. 

LT suggests that the AC would still double check if there are other
relevant sections.

TA wonders if in-addr.arpa is within the scope of the AC and if it is
mentioned in the agreement?  HPH confirms that in-addr.arpa is in the
scope of the AC, but he does not know if it is mentioned in the
document.

ACTION 0105-6 CJW: to drive the process of a formal response to the 
	      ICANN/VeriSign agreement (Note that this requires
              co-operation from the other AC members.)

7. Report from open forums

HPH reports from the RIPE 39 meeting held in Bologna 30 April - 5 May
2001. He experimented with several formats of the open AC input
forum. This time the session on global address issues was part of the
LIR-WG. In addition to that there was a joint session with the IPv6
and the EIX-WGs.

One highlight was the concern about the wait queue at the RIPE NCC. A
discussion occured whether this requires changes in policy or
procedure.  It was decided to return the ball back to the RIPE NCC to
investigate the situation further and come up with proposals.
Procedures are clearly out of scope of the AC. On the other hand it
affects the workings of the community.  RP mentions that ARIN started
to raise a few discussion points in there region, e.g. IPv6 address
distribution to IXPs.

8. Upcoming meetings

HPH agreed to organise an open input forum meeting on Saturday, 2 June
2001, in Stockholm. Some other AC members will be there for the entire
meeting, some will only attend the input forum meeting.

6-10 September 2001: ICANN mtg in Uruguay 
28 - 31 August 2001: APNIC meeting in Taipeh, Taiwan

WW volunteers to put up another web site where AC members can register
their attendance for the next meetings.

SJ asks where the next ASO GA meeting will be held?
MK: ASO GA in conjunction with the APNIC mtg.
TA would like to organise the ASO GA in conjunction with the next
APNIC meeting to take place in February 2002 in China.

ACTION 0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming 
	      meetings for 2001/2002
ACTION 0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next
              ASO GA will take place (note that this will have an
              effect on the nomination and election process for the
	      ICANN board member who's seat will terminate in 2002).

TA notes that the APNIC meeting in February clashes with the dates
currently set for the ICANN Mtg.

ACTION 0105-9 TA: to send APNIC meeting dates to JC.
ACTION 0105-10 JC: will try to make sure the APNIC and ICANN Meetings
	       do not clash.

9. AOB

WW received spam from 'top level domain extensions' for
pre-registrations in .biz etc. He wonders if this is the right forum
to bring this up. LT suggests to send these to ICANN.  ICANN would
then hand it over to the US federal state to go after them.

HG mentions that the emerging RIR document is on the agenda for the
ICANN Stockholm mtg. He thanked the ICANN staff for putting it on the
agenda. He asked whether the document will be discussed by the
board before the ICANN mtg.

LT confirms that the discussions will start in Stockholm. He will
however send a pointer to the document together with related
information to the Board members before the meeting. HG wonders if LT
expects any interaction with the AC. LT explains that the ICANN board
members are free to ask questions, so the AC should be prepared to
react, not necessarily right there and then, but by e-mail.  He also
asked the AC to be prepared to give a very brief presentation at the
public meeting on 3 June 2001. Suggests to mention the emerging RIR
document in this report.

HG clarifies that his only concern is that the board might have
questions about the document. He suggests to give the document to the
board as early as possible, so that they could send any possible
questions to the AC. The AC could then help the ICANN members clarify
possible issues, so that the Board can make the right decision.

LT confirms that the document will be sent to the ICANN board next
week. He does not anticipate that they will have any question, but he
obviously cannot speak for them. He will try to make the board members
individually aware of this offer, questions will be sent to MK at the
ASO secretariat, she can then co-ordinate this. However, the board
will not meet as board before the ICANN Meeting in Stockholm.

9. ICANN Board director elections  

RB left the meeting for this discussion point.

HPH reports that there is currently a rather long short list.

WW mentions BR's compilation. So far two gentlemen have been listed by
the 5 AC members who have published their short list. He suggests to
continue with these two members.

HG believes that 5 contributions are not enough (there are 9 AC
members and 6 observers). He encourages everyone to send their short
lists and suggests to wait a little longer and give everyone another
chance to submit their short list.

HPH is concerned that progress is made.

WW offers to compile the preferences sent to the election lists. He
suggests to then compile the contributions within one week. HG would
like to see a matrix with all AC members and observers on one side and
the candidates on the other. WW is concerned that this would be big
table. It is the responsibility of the AC members and observers to
act.

As a next step HG suggests to develop and discuss criteria. HPH suggests
to first try to compile the short lists, maybe there is already
agreement. If not, criteria can further be discussed.

ACTION 0105-11 all AC members and observer: to submit short list of 
	       candidates to elections mailing list

ACTION 0105-12 on all AC members and observers: to submit possible
	       election criteria

HPH reminds everyone that there has to be clarity about the role of
the observers. Formally the emerging RIRs have one observer and two
listeners, the AC needs to be conscious about their role in the process.

HG notes that the MoU clarifies that the observers have the same
rights except in the case of voting. This means they can participate in the
process until the time comes to vote.

CJW suggests to make a distinction between AC members and observers on
the matrix WW is going to compile from the short lists.

HPH clarifies his concern: one of the listeners in the AfriNIC region
is on the ICANN board. The AC needs to be very careful with the process.

WW mentions that everyone on the AC list and in the telephone
conference is welcome to express their opinion. Maybe this will
already make the preferences clear. Otherwise the AC will have to
enter into a more formal voting procedure that is defined in the MoU.
For now he would like to gather more opinions and short lists.

HPH closes the meeting at 1:33 (23:33 UTC)

- ---------
ACTIONS

ACTIONS DONE:

0104-1 SEC: find out if enough AC members are available at the
      agreed dates for the May and June telephone conference,
      otherwise re-schedule to second Wednesday of month.
0104-2 HPH: re-submit Emerging-RIR doc to ICANN
0104-5 SEC: mark those candidates on the ASO web site that are not
       eligible based on the geographic distribution criteria in the
       ICANN bylaws.
0104-6 SEC: set up elections mailing list

NEW ACTIONS:

0105-1 SEC: change status of April notes on web site
0105-2 SEC: to send the changed text of the Emerging-RIR 
       document resolution to HPH so that he can re-submit the 
       corrected resolution to ICANN.
0105-3 HPH: to re-submit changed text (acknowledgement of receipt
       of the McFadden/Holmes document) as agreed
0105-4 HPH: to co-ordinate with the RIRs (MK, RP), so that they
       can send their reactions concerning the McFadden/Holmes 
       document
0105-5 LT: to send a list of URLs and sections of the 
       ICANN/VeriSign agreement that might be relevant for 
       the AC. 
0105-6 CJW: to drive the process of a formal response to the 
       ICANN/VeriSign agreement (Note that this requires
       co-operation from the other AC members.)
0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming 
       meetings for 2001/2002
0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next
       ASO GA will take place (note that this will have an
       effect on the nomination and election process for the
       ICANN board member who's seat will terminate in 2002).
0105-9 TA: to send APNIC meeting dates to JC.
0105-10 JC: will try to make sure the APNIC and ICANN Meetings
        do not clash.
0105-11 all AC members and observer: to submit short list of 
        candidates to elections mailing list
0105-12 all AC members and observers: to submit possible
	election criteria

Complete list of ACTIONS:

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document 
     to AC
0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities
0104-3 BR/SJ: to complete the list of AC chair tasks
0104-4 CJW: propose process for nomination and election procedure for
       AC chair
0105-1 SEC: change status of April notes on web site
0105-2 SEC: to send the changed text of the Emerging-RIR 
       document resolution to HPH so that he can re-submit the 
       corrected resolution to ICANN.
0105-3 HPH: to re-submit changed text (acknowledgement of receipt
       of the McFadden/Holmes document) as agreed
0105-4 HPH: to co-ordinate with the RIRs (MK, RP), so that they
       can send their reactions concerning the McFadden/Holmes 
       document
0105-5 LT: to send a list of URLs and sections of the 
       ICANN/VeriSign agreement that might be relevant for 
       the AC. 
0105-6 CJW: to drive the process of a formal response to the 
       ICANN/VeriSign agreement (Note that this requires
       co-operation from the other AC members.)
0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming 
       meetings for 2001/2002
0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next
       ASO GA will take place (note that this will have an
       effect on the nomination and election process for the
       ICANN board member who's seat will terminate in 2002).
0105-9 TA: to send APNIC meeting dates to JC.
0105-10 JC: will try to make sure the APNIC and ICANN Meetings
        do not clash
0105-11 all AC members and observers: to submit short list of 
	candidates to elections mailing list
0105-12 all AC members and observers: to submit possible
        election criteria