Present:

Takashi Arano (TA)
Eric Decker (ED)
Kenny Haung (KH)
Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)
Barbara Roseman (BR)
Cathy Wittbrodt (CW)

Raimundo Beca (RB)
John Crain (JC)
Mouhamet Diop (MD)
Hartmut Richard Glaser (HRG)
Richard Jimmerson (RJ)
Miriam Kuehne (MK)
Axel Pawlik (AP)
Ray Plzak (RP)
German Valdez (GV)
Paul Wilson (PW)

Agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Apologies received
  3. Agenda bashing
  4. Secretariat transfer status
  5. Minutes from December AC telephone conference
  6. Status of open actions
  7. ICANN budget comments
  8. AC physical meeting (in conjunction with AGM)?
  9. Final approval of procedure to elect chair
  10. Election of new chair
  11. AOB

    1. Welcome

HPH: Opened the call at 22:05. RP reminded AC that the call is recorded. There were no objections and RP took roll.

    1. Apologies received

Apologies received: none.

    1. Agenda bashing

HRG asked about the meeting calendar for 2002. Noted it was already on website, but did not notice any thing from the Asian region. BR noted that APNIC was on the site.

HPH thought that the problem for scheduling meetings is the planning horizon.

RP suggested indicating that a meeting will take place, but the place and time would be indicated as “to be determined”. AC agreed to this.

HPH asks if there are any other issues.

MD brought up the status of IDN. It was agreed to discuss under Item #11: AOB.

TA mentions election of Chair? HPH explained that he would Chair the meeting until the last item of business: Item 10 of the agenda – Election of Chair. All agreed.

    1. Secretariat transfer status

RJ reports that administrative coordination of transfer conducted in December 2001 and DNS changes were made in January. The Secretariat has been transferred from RIPE NCC to ARIN and all ASO services are operational. RJ thanked Miriam and the engineering dept. at RIPE NCC for their assistance.

    1. Minutes from December AC telephone conference

MK reported that action item 0109-3: “Process for AC Chair Nomination and Election” was mistakenly incorporated as ‘done’, and should have been reflected as ‘on-going’. She will correct and put latest version on web.

HPH asked if the AC wanted this circulated first and then approve the process, or approve it now. All agreed to vote then and there. There were 7 in favor and two absent.

    1. Status of open actions

ASO Secretariat read out the list of open actions:

Action # 12-4 RIRs/IANA:
Circulate draft resource request procedure document to the AC.
Status: Last week the registries completed new re-draft with comments and sent to LT at IANA for review. Open
Action # 0105-7 SEC:
Compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for 2001/2002 (long-term action).
This is an on-going action. RJ sent out a message today for comments on who would be attending upcoming meetings. RJ will compile results, and distribute. Four responses have already been received. Open
Action # 0106-3 All AC Members:
Discuss how to divide AC Chair tasks.
This will be discussed later in the call, as it is an agenda item.
Action # 0106-7 HPH and BR:
Draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN board. Send it to the AC for review. Vint can then decide if he thinks this would be useful to show to the Board.
Not sure of status. BR: Not sure it’s necessary. MK: Sent statistics to ICANN Board. BR asks if we can close it? AC agrees. BR moved to close and HPH seconded, all AC members present were in favor. Closed
Action # 0107-11 Address Council:
Devise procedure for ICANN Board member selection in a subcommittee: 1) collect ideas and proposals; 2) write draft; and, 3) adapt results in a face-to-face meeting.
RJ: not sure of status -still open. BR: has not created subcommittee yet. RJ: Can we send a reminder? AC agrees this is a good idea.
HPH: added to Agenda as Item 12.
Action # 0111-02 SEC:
Send RIPE-40 summary mail that was sent to ripe-list also to the AC list.
MK thought she sent it, but will re-send again, and then close this action item. Open
Action # 0111-03 SEC:
Send mail to ac-list to discuss the details of ASO GA March 2002 meeting.
Anne Lord from APNIC has sent the timeslot for the meeting to RJ. A meeting room has been reserved. RJ and HPH are in preliminary stages of creating an agenda. RJ will attend to this item in the coming week. Open
Action # 0109-5 AC:
Continue discussion about physical AC meeting on the ac-coord mailing list.
RJ: This is on the agenda. BR: Asked about an alternative to when to hold the meeting. RJ: This is an Agenda item for tonight. The action is on the SEC to generate discussion on AC list. Open
Action # 0111-04 SEC:
Send pointers to IPv4 utilization statistics to AC.
MK did this. Closed
Action # 0112-01 SEC:
Publish the final November minutes on the ASO web-site.
MK did this. Closed
Action # 0112-02 SEC:
Publish “Process for AC Chair Nomination and Election” on ASO web-site.
On the Agenda for discussion later, then take action to publish on web-site.
Action # 0112-03 MD:
Send his concerns and motivations regarding IDN to the ac-coord list.
This is on the Agenda for discussion later on.
Action # 0112-04 HPH:
Draft an e-mail regarding the chosen candidate for the IDN committee to ICANN, and send it to the AC beforehand.
HPH stated that this had not yet been done. Open
Action # 0112-05 SEC:
Prepare another meeting schedule for 2002 and send it to the ac-coord mailing list.
MK updated the schedule and RJ made final adjustments. Closed
Action # 0112-06 SJ:
Follow discussion regarding the ICANN At-Large Committee, and report back to the AC.
SJ: Period for comment closed on 12/31/01. There was no message for official comment from ASO. RJ: asked what the AC wanted to do – close the item or keep it on-going? HPH wanted it closed. All agreed. Closed
Action # 0112-07 HPH:
Forward the e-mail Stuart Lynn sent regarding the ICANN budget to the AC.
HPH: It has been done. Closed

HPH thanked RJ.

    1. ICANN Budget Comments

HPH forwarded the e-mail from Stuart Lynn re: the ICANN budget to the AC. AC sent their comments through the RIRs. RP updated everyone: RP sent an e-mail earlier this month requesting comments to Stuart’s three questions. Prior to December, the RIRs already put together their budgets from their perspectives. Comments are due tomorrow to ICANN. RP would need any further input by tonight if anything is to be added. HPH stated he had nothing else to add to the comments. HPH asked if anyone else did. Answer was no.

    1. AC physical meeting (in conjunction with AGM)?

Discussion ensued regarding where and when to hold the meeting; if it should be in conjunction with the AGM during APNIC’s meeting in March. All seemed to think this was the best way to meet despite conflicts with the fact that if they met before the GM, no one would know who was nominated to the ICANN board seat.

The purpose of a physical meeting would be to discuss issue too difficult to discuss electronically or telephonically. BR proposed the meeting to be held on March 7th in Bangkok and RJ would put out an announcement to the group. All agreed on this meeting schedule.

On another note, MD expressed concern of attendance at the ICANN meeting in Accra, Ghana. AP came onto the call at this time and stated that all RIRs would be attending this meeting.

    1. Final approval of procedure to elect chair

HPH stated that the procedure had been circulated on the mailing list. A formal vote to now approve the procedure should be done. BR moved to approve the publishing of the procedure and ED seconded. 7 approved, none against, 2 absent. RJ will post to web.

    1. Election of new chair

HPH called for nominations. CW nominated BR. SJ nominated HPH. HPH declined and asked if there were any other nominations. There were none. BR accepted the nomination of Chair to the AC. ED moved for unanimous consent for BR to become the Chair. HPH seconded. There were no objections. Hearing none, HPH declared BR the new Chair to the AC. BR asked if there should be a Vice Chair. BR pointed out that there were no formal procedures established. The Chair could elect 2 people, but BR felt it better to take volunteers. HPH and KH both volunteered for Vice Chair and both were appointed.

    1. Any other business

MD gave the status of next IDN meeting, that it would be held on January 22, 2002.

HRG announced that LACNIC elected three individuals as ASO AC listeners for 2002: German Valdez, Hartmut Richard Glaser, and Raimundo Beca. The issue of identifying participants from the emerging RIRs as observers or listeners was raised. RP stated that the MoU recognizes only one observer from an emerging RIR and that the ASO has elected to also recognize two listeners. As long as the AC follows the ASO MoU they will be fine. HPH stated that it didn’t seem to matter how the participants from LACNIC were labeled, as they are moving close to being recognized as a full member of the ASO. HPH suggested this discussion should not be continued. The AC agreed to leave as-is.

CW leaves the meeting.

SJ pointed out a program committee for the upcoming AGM should be formed? BR agreed this was a good idea and asked for volunteers. SJ, RJ, KH and BR all volunteered.

SJ: Thanked HPH for last year’s great job.

AC to devise a procedure for ICANN Board Member selection in a Subcommittee.

BR offered to help with this task. ED volunteered to be on the subcommittee. BR stated that two more people were needed. HPH and GV volunteered.

BR adjourned the meeting at 23:10 UCT.


Actions closed at this meeting

Action # 0106-3 all AC members
Discuss how to divide AC chair tasks
Action # 0106-7 HPH and BR
Draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN board. Send it to the AC for review. Vint can then decide if he thinks this would be useful to show to the Board (on hold until ICANN is concerned with other issues than DNS security; Q1/2002)
Action # 0111-03 SEC
Send mail to ac-list to discuss the details of ASO GA March 2002 meeting
Action # 0111-04 SEC
Send pointers to IPv4 utilization statistics to AC
Action # 0112-01 SEC
Publish the final November minutes on the ASO web site
Action # 0112-03 MD
Send his concerns and motivations regarding IDN to the ac-coord list
Action # 0112-05 SEC
Prepare another meeting schedule for 2002 and send it to the ac-coord mailing list
Action # 0112-06 SJ
Follow discussion regarding the ICANN At-Large Committee and report back to the AC
Action # 0112-07 HPH
Forward the e-mail Stuart Lynn sent regarding the ICANN budget to the AC.

Actions remaining open

Action # 12-4 RIRs/IANA
Circulate draft resource request procedure document to the AC
Action # 0105-7 SEC
Compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for 2001/2002 (ongoing action)
Action # 0107-11 AC (BR, ED, HPH, GV: sub-committee)
Devise procedure for ICANN Board member selection in a subcommittee (1. collect ideas and proposals, 2. write draft, 3. adapt results in a face to face meeting)
Action # 0109-5 AC
Continue discussion about physical AC meeting on the ac-coord mailing list
Action # 0111-02 SEC
Send RIPE-40 summary mail that was sent to ripe-list also to the AC list
Action # 0112-02 SEC
Publish ‘Process for AC chair nomination and election’ on ASO web site
Action # 0112-04 HPH
Draft a mail regarding the chosen candidate for the IDN committee to ICANN and send it to the AC

New action items

Action # 0201-01 SEC
Propose March 2002 AC physical meeting to ASO AC
Action # 0201-02 SEC, SJ, KH, BR
Develop program for 2002 AGM

Complete list of actions following meeting

Action # 12-4 RIRs/IANA
Circulate draft resource request procedure document to the AC
Action # 0105-7 SEC
Compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for 2001/2002 (ongoing action)
Action # 0107-11 AC (BR, ED, HPH, GV: sub-committee)
Devise procedure for ICANN Board member selection in a subcommittee (1. collect ideas and proposals, 2. write draft, 3. adapt results in a face to face meeting)
Action # 0109-5 AC
Continue discussion about physical AC meeting on the ac-coord mailing list
Action # 0111-02 SEC
Send RIPE-40 summary mail that was sent to ripe-list also to the AC list
Action # 0112-02 SEC
Publish ‘Process for AC chair nomination and election’ on ASO web site
Action # 0112-04 HPH
Draft a mail regarding the chosen candidate for the IDN committee to ICANN and send it to the AC
Action # 0201-01 SEC
Propose March 2002 AC physical meeting to ASO AC
Action # 0201-02 SEC, SJ, KH, BR
Develop program for 2002 AGM