AC Attendees:

Mark McFadden (MM) – Chair
Eric Decker (ED)
Louis Lee (LL)
Takashi Arano (TA)
Hyun-Joon Kwon (HJK)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Julian Dunayevich (JD)
Raimundo Beca (RB)
Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Wilfried Woeber (WW)
Sabine Jaume (SJ) – joined for topic 8 at 1230 (1030 UTC)

Observers

Barbara Roseman (BR), ICANN

RIRs

John Curren (JC), ARIN
Paul Wilson (PW), APNIC
Anne Lord (AL), APNIC – joined for topic 7 at 1145 (0945 UTC)
Raul Echeberria (RE), LACNIC
German Valdez (GV), LACNIC
Adiel Akplogan (AA)
Axel Pawlik (AP), RIPE NCC
Sabine Mader (SM) RIPE NCC – ASO Secretariat

Agenda

  1. Welcome and roll call for the Address Council
  2. Apologies received
  3. Agenda bashing
  4. Minutes from 10 March 2004, AC Teleconference
  5. Opening of nomination period for ICANN Nominating Committee seat
  6. Status of open actions
  7. Any other business (AOB)
  8. Election of ICANN Director from the Address Supporting Organisation

  • 1. Welcome and roll call for the Address Council

  • The conference was opened at 1100 (0900 UTC). As per roll call 10 members of the AC present were present at this time.

  • 2. Apologies received

  • none

  • 3. Agenda bashing

  • The participation of the nomination candidate for the ICANN Board seat, RB, during topic 8, was briefly discussed. It was agreed that the candidate would not participate in the discussion and election.

  • 4. Minutes from 10 March 2004

  • The minutes of the previous teleconference on 10 March 2004 were approved without comments and amendments.

    Action #0405-01 SEC
    To publish the final minutes of the AC meeting held on 10 March 2004 on the ASO website

  • 5. Opening of nomination period for ICANN Nominating Committee seat

  • It was suggested that an Address Council member be appointed to the ICANN Nominating Committee seat. After brief discussion Hartmut Glaser (HG) was proposed to be the representative of the AC on the Nominating Committee.

    The candidate was accepted by acclamation.

    Action #0405-02 Chair AC/SEC
    To inform the Nomination Committee about the candidate appointed by the AC

    The Chair thanked German Valdez (GV) for the work done in the former Nomination Committee.

  • 6. Status of open actions

  • The action item list was reviewed and marked as appropriate.

    HPH expressed concern about the timeliness of requested changes to the ASO website.

    JC presumes that the services of the ASO secretariat is given to the Chair of the AC and suggested that the Chair has a periodical look at the services of the ASO secretariat.

  • 7. Any other business (AOB)

  • Communication facilities

    HG’s suggestion to use cheaper communication facilities (VOIP/videoconferencing) was discussed. It was agreed that no further action will be taken due to the limitation of the available systems (max number of participants limited).

    Report from the ARIN Meeting

    LL reported from the ARIN Meeting in Vancouver.

    Questions re the transition process from the old AC to the new AC

    PW stated that comments from the NRO perspective were not possible as the NRO EC did not formally discuss it.

    HPH asked whether any plans for a transition plan were on the table.

    AP suggested, from the RIPE NCC point of view, a simple process to maximize continuity: let the next seat fall empty, then fill the next seat by board nomination.

    It was commented that there is no formal mechanism of interaction between the NRO, ICANN and the ASO.

    BR pointed out that ICANN has never directed the ASO in any process.

    PW stated that the new Address Council will be a newly elected body.

    JC asked HPH to voice the question on the nro-comment list.

    LACNIC Meeting

    HG reported from the LACNIC Meeting in Montevideo, Uruguay

    Report from Adiel on AfriNIC progress

    Adiel gave a report on the AfriNIC progress.
    AfriNIC-1 meeting will be held in Dakar/Senegal from 23-24 May 2004.

    [at 1145 (0945 UTC) Anne Lord (AL) joined the teleconference]

    The AC Chair noted that the candidate for the ICANN Director seat will be excluded from the next agenda point (discussion and election).

    [at 1230 (1030 UTC) Sabine Jaume (SJ) joined the conference]

  • 8. Election of ICANN Director from the Address Supporting Organisation

  • The AC Chair asked the AC whether both candidates were qualified and whether there were any concerns, There were no concerns expressed about the qualification of the two candidates.

    The AC Chair asked each of the AC members for their observations and comments.

    After that further comments were briefly discussed.

    It was formally agreed as follows:

    Action #0405-03 Chair/Sec
    The AC directs the Chair and the ASO secretariat to inform ICANN that RB has been elected by the AC by consensus to fill the board position on the ICANN BoD currently held by Lyman Chapin.

    Action #0405-04 Chair/Sec
    The AC directs the Chair to notify RB and Lyman Chapin of its consensus decision. In addition the Chair will offer Lyman Chapin the opportunity to be the nominee of the AC to the Nom Com as candidate for ICANN’s Board.

    In addition the AC directs the Chair to thank Lyman Chapin for his 3 years service on the ICANN Board.

    The meeting was adjourned at 1330 (1130 UTC).

Open Action item list (reviewed on 6 May 2004)

Action #0401-04 (Chair)
Update and re-distribute the AC Workplan 2004.
DONE
Action #0401-05 All
Discuss role of AC in policy making process in preparation for March teleconference.
DONE
Action #0401-07 Sec
Update ASO website. OPEN, will be done by the Chair together with the ASO secretariat
RB was asked to send his corrections to the Chair who will work together with the ASO secretariat to update the website.
The Chair and the ASO secretariat will make sure that the AC will be kept up to date with the nomination process.
DONE
Action #0403-01 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the AC meeting held on 21 Jan 2004 on the ASO website
DONE
Action #0403-02 SEC
To set up the nominations information and support pages on the ASO web pages.
DONE
Action #0403-03 CHAIR
To check if a time line for the agenda for the ASO GA is applicable
DONE
Action #0403-04 CHAIR
To draft note to ICANN about AC involvement in ASO reform process.
DONE

New Action item list:

Action #0405-01 SEC
To publish the final minutes of the AC meeting held on 10 March 2004 on the ASO website
Action #0405-02 Chair AC/SEC
To inform the Nomination Committee about the candidate appointed by the AC
Action #0405-03 Chair/Sec
The AC directs the Chair and the ASO secretariat to inform ICANN that RB has been elected by the AC by consensus to fill the board position on the ICANN BoD currently held by Lyman Chapin.
Action #0405-04 Chair/Sec
The AC directs the Chair to notify RB and Lyman Chapin of its consensus decision. In addition the Chair will offer Lyman Chapin the opportunity to be the nominee of the AC to the Nom Com as candidate for ICANN’s Board.

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC):

Action #0307-03 SEC
Secretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed. This action will be held open until there is a new MoU. Open/Stalled