Present:

Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)
Wilfried Woeber (WW)
Takashi Arano (TA)
Jianping Wu (JW)
Seung Min Lee (SML) - joined later
Cathy Wittbrodt (CJW)
Barbara Roseman (BR)
Raimundo Beca (RB)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Jorge Plano (JP)
Louis Touton (LT)
John Crain (JC)
Richard Jimmerson (RJ)
Ray Plzak (RP)
Axel Pawlik (AP)
Mirjam Kuehne (MK)

Agenda: 

1. Welcome 
2. Apologies received 
3. Agenda bashing 
4. Minutes from May 9th meeting 
5. Status of open actions 
6. Formal responses from the AC 
    - ICANN/NSI agreement 
7. AC attendance at upcoming meetings 
    - ICANN, Stockholm, 1 - 4 June 2001 
    - INET, Stockholm: 5 - 8 June 2001 
8. AOB 
9. ICANN Board of Directors election 

1. HPH opened the meeting at 22:07 UTC, 6 June 2001

2. Apologies received from German Valdez (GV)

3. The agenda has been approved.

NEW ACTION 0106-1 SEC: change status of May minutes on the web.

4. The minutes of the May telephone conference have been approved.

5.  Status of open ACTIONS: 

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to
                AC
- LT indicated at the last telephone conference that there would be a
  formal response. Unfortunately this has not yet been done, will happen
  in the next few weeks. He mentions that there were some informal talks
  in the meantime.

0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities 
- Open

0104-3 BR/SJ: to complete the list of AC chair tasks 
- Sabine sent some suggestions to HPH, HPH will send it on to the AC
  mailing list

NEW ACTION 0106-2 HPH: to send list of AC chair tasks to the AC
                  mailing list

NEW ACTION 0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks

0104-4 CJW: propose process for nomination and election procedure for
       AC chair
- Done: CJW sent proposal for nomination and election procedure for AC
        chair to AC mailing list.

WW suggests to use them for now, and amend them as needed over time.

Discussion if this should be up on the web, WW suggests to just add a
note in the minutes that the AC has elected a chair and co-chairs. BR
would like to think about it for some time, it may be useful to refer
to them at some point. RB suggests to add the actual proposal to the
minutes. WW agrees if a disclaimer would be added that the internally
elected chair does not have any special standing in the AC to the
outside world. He explains that he sees a risk that this role might be
used for something it was not intended for. BR agrees

SJ suggests that WW will send additional text to CJW.

NEW ACTION 0106-4 WW: send additional disclaimer text to CJW so that
                  she can include in the proposed process for AC chair
                  nomination and election process.

Ray suggested to also add some text relating to the term of the chair.

NEW ACTION 0106-5 RP: send additional text relating to the term of the
                  chair to CJW so that she can include in the proposed
                  process for AC chair nomination and election process.

This topic will be on the agenda for next meeting.

SML joined the telephone conference at this point.

0105-1 SEC: change status of April notes on web site
- Done

0105-2 SEC: to send the changed text of the Emerging-RIR document
resolution to HPH so that he can re-submit the corrected resolution to
ICANN.  
- Done

0105-3 HPH: to re-submit changed text (acknowledgement of receipt of
       the McFadden/Holmes report) as agreed
- Open (waiting or the RIR stats to be ready to be announced, will be
       coordinated with SEC/Mir)

0105-4 HPH: to co-ordinate with the RIRs (MK, RP), so that they can
       send their reactions concerning the McFadden/Holmes report
- Closed (agreed that the RIRs will send separate mail with
         announcement of statistics)

0105-5 LT: to send a list of URLs and sections of the ICANN/VeriSign
       agreement that might be relevant for the AC.  - done

0105-6 CJW: to drive the process of a formal response to the
       ICANN/VeriSign agreement (Note that this requires co-operation from
       the other AC members.)

- Done.
  It was agreed that there are no relevant issues for the ASO, see
  agenda point 6.

0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for
       2001/2002
- Open (long-term action) 

0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next ASO
       GA will take place (note that this will have an effect on the
       nomination and election process for the ICANN board member
       who's seat will terminate in 2002).

PW suggested to have the ASO GA later in the year in conjunction with
the second APNIC meeting in 2002.

It was suggested to review the meeting calendar for 2002 to decide
when to hold a ASO GA in order to elect an ICANN Board member and
guarantee geographic diversity

0105-9 TA: to send APNIC meeting dates to JC
- Done

0105-10 JC: will try to make sure the APNIC and ICANN Meetings do not
        clash
- Done (confirmed that they will co-ordinate this)

0105-11 all AC members and observers: to submit short list of
        candidates to elections mailing list
- Done (observers from Africa chose not to send their short lists)

6.Formal response to the ICANN/VeriSign agreement

It was suggested to send a mail to the ICANN board noting that there
are no significant global address issues related to the agreement.

NEW ACTION 0106-6 SEC: to send suggested text as a basis for the
                  reaction to the ICANN/VeriSign agreement to HPH.

7.AC attendance at open meetings:

ICANN Meeting, Stokholm, June 2001

HPH gave a presentation at the ICANN open meeting, the slides are 
available on the ASO web site.

HPH heard that Vint Cerf would like to have more information on IPv4
address utilisation. Other AC members suggested to do this for the
entire ICANN board as an educational effort, not at an open ICANN
meeting, but only to the board. It was further suggested to use Scott
Marcus' presentation for this.

HPH wonders what the role of the AC is in this, what does the AC want
to convey. There are a number of presentations around the topic or IP
address utilisation (Scott Marcus, Mark McFAdden, Paul Mylotte).

MK believes that it needs to be clarified to the ICANN Board that
these presentations actually show different things (Scott's
presentation is based on actual address statistics, Mark's and Paul's
are an attempt to make forecasts). If this is clear to the board, they
will know how to read the differences.

NEW ACTION 0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf
                  and the ICANN board. The presentation should be 
                  reviewed by the AC before submission. Then Vint 
                  can decide if he thinks this would be useful to 
                  show to the board.

It was noted that some ICANN board members were also interested in
routing statistics.

NEW ACTION 0106-8 SEC: to add links to routing statistics on the ASO
                  web site

During the ICANN meeting in Stockholm, there was also an open ASO
forum organised. HPH reports on the main topics:

Mark McFadden suggested to re-write rfc2050 (see his presentation on
the ASO web site), not necessarily have this as an IETF
document. Mark's suggested process seemed to be very complicated. BR
reports that when she spoke to Mark afterwards that he was not
attached to the actual process, as long as it gets updated. She also
adds that even though the new document would not have to go to the
IETF, it could still be published as an informational RFC.

HPH wonders if it is actually being re-written? If so, the AC has to
make this known. BR agrees with Mark that more input would be seeked
at the open policy meetings and that the RIRs should not write this
alone.

HPH suggests to use a similar model as for the re-write of the
European Address Policy document (ripe-185). There was an editorial
committee formed of RIPE NCC staff and members of the LIR
community. CJW offers to participate. She also agrees that a global
policy document should not look like the RIR staff is writing it.

LT thinks it is important to distinguish between global and
local/regional policy.
BR believes that this cannot be decided by the RIRs.

MK thinks one should distinguish between developing new policies and
writing down what current policies are. BR agrees that documenting
existing policies (BCP) could be done separately by the RIRs
alone. She would however like to have a new document which the RIRs
are not drafting, but which involves the community.

HPH: suggests to further discuss this on the mailing list. He also
wonders if there should be a new document series?

NEW ACTION 0106-9 BR: to write up some discussion points about the
                  process to write policy documents.

HPH feels that RFC2050 contains many different issues and suggests
that the AC think about how this can be tackled.

TA suggests to have more AC workshops like the one in Brisbane.  BR
thinks this is a good idea, but it might take too long to organise
one. She suggests to start the discussion on the mailing list first
and then see what can be done during the next APNIC meeting.

8.AOB

HG reports from a mail he received: someone suggested that the ASO and
the PSO together would form the TSO (Technical Supporting
Organisation). He will forward the mail to the AC mailing list.

RB proposed that the AC adopts a statement declaring its satisfaction
for the resolutions adopted by the Board regarding the Emerging RIRs
Document.  Mainly because, on one hand, the word "minimum" was
deleted, stating then clearly that those criteria are the unique
requirements. On the other hand, because it was also clarified that
the word "standards" was strictly referred to the procedures of the
applications and not to the establisment of new criteria. BR asked if
the proposition is to send this stament to the Board or only to
include it in the minutes. RB said he would feel confortable with an
aknowlegment in the minutes.

LT feels that since most of the AC members were not present at the
meeting, it would be inappropriate to make a decision at this
meeting. He suggests to do this at the next meeting.

NEW ACTION 0106-10 all AC members: to review the ICANN board
                   resolution on the emerging RIR document

RB leaves the meeting at this point.

9. ICANN Board elections

HPH reports that there were two proposals on the mailing list.

BR does not think that the voting members need more time, she supports
the proposal SJ had made on the mailing list: to further reduce the
number of candidates on the short lists, everyone would submit his or
her top three candidates listed by preferences.

WW suggests that the AC members are actually ready for a formal
vote. Others agree.

BR suggests an alternative: voting members shall send top three list
of candidates to the mailing list until Monday. WW volunteers to
compile the results. If there is consensus among the voting members,
then a special phone conference will be called to formally vote. If
there is no consensus, the AC will engage in more discussion.

NEW ACTION 0106-11 all AC members: send preferred times for special
                   voting telephone call to the elections list.

NEW ACTION 0106-12 SEC: to find out when the next AC phone meeting
will be (it is currently scheduled for 4 july)

Meeting adjourned at 00:30 UTC, 7 June 2001

------------------
ACTIONS DONE:

0104-3 BR/SJ: to complete the list of AC chair tasks 
0104-4 CJW: propose process for nomination and election procedure for
       AC chair
0105-1 SEC: change status of April notes on web site
0105-2 SEC: to send the changed text of the Emerging-RIR document
       resolution to HPH so that he can re-submit the corrected
       resolution to ICANN
0105-4 HPH: to co-ordinate with the RIRs (MK, RP), so that they can
       send their reactions concerning the McFadden/Holmes report
0105-5 LT: to send a list of URLs and sections of the ICANN/VeriSign
       agreement that might be relevant for the AC
0105-6 CJW: to drive the process of a formal response to the
       ICANN/VeriSign agreement
0105-9 TA: to send APNIC meeting dates to JC
0105-10 JC: will try to make sure the APNIC and ICANN Meetings do not
        clash
0105-11 all AC members and observers: to submit short list of
        candidates to elections mailing list

NEW ACTIONS:

0106-1 SEC: change status of May minutes on the web
0106-2 HPH: to send list of AC chair tasks to the AC mailing list
0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks
0106-4 WW: send additional disclaimer text to CJW so that she can
       include in the proposed process for AC chair nomination and election
       process
0106-5 RP: send additional text relating to the term of the
       chair to CJW so that she can include in the proposed
       process for AC chair nomination and election process.
0106-6 SEC: to send suggested text as reaction to the ICANN/VeriSign
       agreement to HPH
0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN
       board. Send it to the AC for review. Then Vint can decide if he thinks
       this would be useful to show to the board
0106-8 SEC: to add links to routing statistics on the ASO web site
0106-9 BR: to write up some discussion points about the process to
       write policy documents
0106-10 all AC members: to review the ICANN board resolution on the
        emerging RIR document
0106-11 all AC members: send preferred times for special voting
        telephone call to the elections list
0106-12 SEC: to find out when the next AC phone meeting will be (it is
        currently scheduled for 4 july)

Complete list of open ACTIONS:

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to AC
0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities 
0105-3 HPH: to re-submit changed text (acknowledgement of receipt of
       the McFadden/Holmes report) as agreed
0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for
       2001/2002 (long-term action)
0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next ASO
       GA will take place

0106-1 SEC: change status of May minutes on the web
0106-2 HPH: to send list of AC chair tasks to the AC mailing list
0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks
0106-4 WW: send additional disclaimer text to CJW so that she can
       include in the proposed process for AC chair nomination and election
       process
0106-5 RP: send additional disclaimer text to CJW so that she can
       include in the proposed process for AC chair nomination and election
       process
0106-6 SEC: to send suggested text as reaction to the ICANN/VeriSign
       agreement to HPH

0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN
       board. Send it to the AC for review. Then Vint can decide if he thinks
       this would be useful to show to the board
0106-8 SEC: to add links to routing statistics on the ASO web site.
0106-9 BR: to write up some discussion points about the process to
       write policy documents
0106-10 all AC members: to review the ICANN board resolution on the
        emerging RIR document
0106-11 all AC members: send preferred times for special voting
        telephone call to the elections list
0106-12 SEC: to find out when the next AC phone meeting will be (it is
        currently scheduled for 4 july)