AC Attendees:

Takashi Arano (TA)
Raimundo Beca (RB)
Eric Decker (ED)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Hans Petter Holen (HH)
Kim Hubbard (KH)
Seung-Min Lee
Mark McFadden (Chair)
Wilfried Woeber

Listener/Observers:

Louis Lee, ARIN (LL) – 2004 AC member

ARIN:

Ray Plzak (RP)
Richard Jimmerson (RJ)

LACNIC:

Raul Echeberria (RE)
German Valdez (GV)

RIPE NCC:

Axel Pawlik (AP)

APNIC:

Anne Lord, ASO Secretariat (SEC-AL)
Gerard Ross, ASO Secretariat (SEC-GR)

ICANN:

none

Agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Apologies received
  3. Agenda bashing
  4. Minutes from 1 October 2003, AC Teleconference
  5. Minutes from 15 October 2003, special AC Teleconference
  6. Status of open actions
  7. Report from the ARIN meeting
  8. Report from the LACNIC meeting
  9. Any other business (AOB)

    1. Welcome

The Chair, opened the meeting at 21:05 UTC.

The Secretariat informed that LL was elected for a 3 year term representing the ARIN region and that SJ and RB have been reelected for new 3 year terms representing the RIPE and LACNIC regions, respectively.

    1. Apologies received

Apologies were received from: Kenny Huang and Sabine Jaume.

Absent: Julian Dunayevich.

    1. Agenda bashing

      • 2004 ASO General Assembly
      • Road Map 2004
      • Call for AC Chair

The Chair reviewed the draft agenda and asked if there were any additions or amendments.

The following items were added to the agenda:

    1. Minutes from 1 October 2003, AC Teleconference

The Chair noted that the minutes had been circulated. There were no comments.

The AC approved the minutes from 1 October 2003 without amendment.

Action #03012-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 1 October 2003.

    1. Minutes from 15 October 2003, special AC Teleconference

The Chair noted that the minutes had been circulated. There were no comments.

The AC approved the minutes from 15 October 2003 without amendment.

Action #03012-02 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 15 October 2003.

    1. Status of open actions

The Chair provided a summary of open action items.

Open action item list

Action #0309-02 AC members
All AC members to make recommendations to their respective policy forums about the need to reconsider the scope, mission, and methodology for RFC revision. Closed
The Chair noted that this issue had been overtaken by other events. It will be discussed in the context of the ARIN meeting report.
Action #03010-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 3 September 2003. Done
Action #03010-02 SEC
Secretariat to organise a teleconference on Wednesday 8 October at 22 UTC, for Address Council members only, to discuss the NRO proposals. Done
Action #03010-03 SEC
Secretariat to amend the proposed meeting schedule, so that meetings commence in January of year each year, and recirculate to the AC. Done

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC)

        Action #0307-03 SECSecretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed. This action will be held open until there is a new MoU.

Open/Stalled

    1. Report from the ARIN meeting

The Chair noted that there were participants from all of the RIRs at the ARIN meeting in Chicago. He noted that he, KH, RB, and HG were present at the meeting. The Chair provided a brief report of the meeting.

The Chair noted that KH gave the ASO report in the Public Policy Meeting. He also noted that ARIN has a very active community, which reviewed a large number, and broad range, of proposals.

The Chair noted that there was discussion of the RFC 2050 Working Group. He noted that the Working Group no longer has the energy to continue its task. The chair noted that the RIRs have done a comparison of the policies cited in the policy comparison matrix to RFC 2050 and made annotations as to whether a policy was mentioned in 2050. All of the RFC 2050 policy statements are covered by RIR policies. In addition there are policies that have been adopted that are not in RFC 2050. There are two items that are in RFC 2050 but are not covered by an RIR policy. These items are considered procedural and are covered by RIR procedures. The Chair and Scott Bradner are also drafting an RFC to make RFC 2050 historical.

The Chair noted that the NRO proposal was discussed in the Public Policy Meeting. The RIRs received comments on the public mailing list and during the open meeting. The RIRs considered the comments, made some changes, then produced a final document that was signed at the ARIN meeting. The Chair expressed thanks to the RIRs for the way that they handled the process.

The Chair confirmed that the NRO is now formally in place, but the new version of the MoU has not yet been adopted by ICANN. ICANN will discuss the MoU at its next meeting. RP also noted that the RIRs are still waiting on formal comments from ICANN. He noted that ICANN is currently very busy with the WSIS process. RP noted that the NRO Executive Committee has been organised. One of the first items of business for the NRO EC was to suspend the parts of the NRO document dealing with ASO AC functions until good faith discussions are completed with ICANN.

    1. Report from the LACNIC meeting

HG provided a brief report of the recent LACNIC meeting in Havana. He described the general content of the tutorials which were held. He noted that all presentations are on the LACNIC web site.

HG noted that he gave the ASO report. He noted that several other AC, RIR, and ICANN representatives provided other related reports, including a presentation on the NRO formation.

HG also noted that contrary to expectations, the meeting was very well attended.

[HH joined the call at this point]

HG explained that this meeting was very successful and that the first LACNIC meeting for 2004 will be in Montevideo and the second will also be held in Central America.

GV explained that the policy forum approved new policies in relation to micro-allocations, IPv6 initial allocations, and experimental allocations. He explained that there will be a 45 day comment period before the implementation of any of these policies.

    1. Any other business (AOB)

2004 ASO General Assembly

HG asked about the location of the 2004 General Assembly. RP noted that there was an agreement that the region hosting the Secretariat is not the region hosting the General Assembly. RP offered to host the GA in the ARIN region, at the meeting in Vancouver in the third week of April.

The Chair asked for discussion as to whether the GA should continue to be held separately from the Secretariat. AP noted that it would be no problem for the May RIPE meeting to acommodate the GA.

WW expressed concern about GAs being held as late as April or May, as there are many important issue that require face-to-face meetings, including an possible AC workshop.

HG asked RP to explain the criteria for the NRO Secretariat. RP explained that it was determined that the NRO Secretariat will rotate through the RIRs with the ASO Secretariat duties.

HG explained that due to the election process, it is necessary to have the GA before the middle of the year. He suggested it would be appropriate to have the GA during the RIPE meeting in May. ED asked whether the Vancouver meeting would be suitable. HG expressed concern that Vancouver may not be central enough to attract sufficient attendance.

The Chair suggested using the mailing list to determine which of the meetings (RIPE in Amsterdam in May, or ARIN in Vancouver in April) will have the best attendance by AC members.

There was a discussion about the need to consider the timing of the election of a new Chair.

RB suggested that the AC should empower the current Chair to make a call for the General Assembly and commence the election process. The AC reached consensus that the current Chair should be empowered to take all action necessary on behalf of the AC to call the 2004 General Assembly, including initiating the election process for the ICANN Board, initiating the election process of the next Chair, and determining the date and location of the 2004 General Assembly.

Action #03012-03 Chair
Chair to use mailing list to determine likely AC attendance at RIPE and ARIN meetings in the first half of 2004, to determine the best location for the General Assembly.

Road Map 2004

The Chair suggested that it would be helpful for one AC member to prepare a draft for discussion on the mailing list. HG suggested that the Chair could prepare a draft to circulate to the AC members by Christmas, so that it could be discussed at the January teleconference.

After some discussion, it was decided that the Chair and HG will collaborate on producing a draft Road Map.

[ED left the call at this point]

Action #03012-04 Chair, HG
Chair and HG will collaborate on producing a draft Road Map, for circulation by Christmas, to be formally discussed in the January AC teleconference.

Call for AC Chair

The Chair opened a 28 day nomination period for the election of the next AC Chair.

Acknowledgements

The Chair thanked Kim Hubbard for her time and efforts serving on the AC. He also thanked the Secretariat, on behalf of the AC, for their work in 2003.

AL noted that APNIC has commenced discussions with RIPE NCC for the hand over of the Secretariat duties.

HG expressed special appreciation to the Chair for his efforts in chairing the AC in 2003. The other AC members also extended their thanks.

[Meeting closed 22:15]


Open action item list

Action #03012-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 1 October 2003. Open
Action #03012-02 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 15 October 2003. Open
Action #03012-03 Chair
Chair to use mailing list to determine likely AC attendance at RIPE and ARIN meetings in the first half of 2004, to determine the best location for the General Assembly. Open
Action #03012-04 Chair, HG
Chair and HG will collaborate on producing a draft Road Map, for circulation by Christmas, to be formally discussed in the January AC teleconference. Open

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC)

Action #0307-03 SEC
Secretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed. This action will be held open until there is a new MoU Open/Stalled.