AC Attendees:

Takashi Arano (TA)
Raimundo Beca (RB)
Eric Decker (ED)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Hans Petter Holen (HH)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)
Louis Lee (LL)
Mark McFadden (Chair)

Listener/Observers:

Adiel Akplogan (AA)

ARIN:

Ray Plzak (RP)
Richard Jimmerson (RJ)

LACNIC:

Raul Echeberria (RE)

RIPE NCC:

Axel Pawlik (AP)
Sabine Mader, ASO Secretariat (SM)

APNIC:

Anne Lord (AL)

ICANN:

John Crain (JC)
Barbara Roseman (BR)

Agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Apologies received
  3. Agenda bashing
  4. Minutes from 3 December, 2003, AC Teleconference
  5. Status of open actions
  6. Review of Chair and Co-Chair Election Process
  7. Nominations and Statement of Interest for ASO AC Chair
  8. Election of ASO AC Chair
  9. Nomination of Co-Chairs by newly elected chair
  10. Election and designation of Co-Chair
  11. Review of the Call for an ASO General Assembly
  12. Review of the draft ASO AC Roadmap
  13. Any other business (AOB)

    1. Welcome

The Chair opened the meeting at 2200 UTC, and welcomed the new AC member for ARIN, Louie Lee.

    1. Apologies received

Absent: Julian Dunayevich, Wilfried Woeber, Kenny S. Huang, Paul Wilson, German Valdez, Yann Kwok, Christine Arida

    1. Agenda bashing

      • HPH: Discussion of policy role of AC
      • Sabine: Discussion of e-voting software
      • Mark: Procedure for electing ICANN board member

The Chair reviewed the draft agenda and asked if there were any additions or amendments.

The following items were added to the agenda:

    1. Minutes from 3 December 2003, AC Teleconference

The Chair noted that the minutes had been circulated. There were no comments.

The AC approved the minutes from 3 December 2003 without amendment.

Action #0401-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 3 December 2003.

    1. Status of open actions

The Chair provided a summary of open action items.

Open action item list

Action #03012-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 1 October 2003.
Done
Action #03012-02 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 15 October 2003. Done
Action #03012-03 Chair
Chair to use mailing list to determine likely AC attendance at RIPE and ARIN meetings in the first half of 2004, to determine the best location for the General Assembly.
Done
Action #03012-04 Chair, HG
Chair and HG will collaborate on producing a draft Road Map, for circulation by Christmas, to be formally discussed in the January AC teleconference.
Done

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC)

Action #0307-03 SEC
Secretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed. This action will be held open until there is a new MoU.
Open/Stalled
#03012-03 was deferred to point 11 of the agenda.

    1. Review of Chair and Co-Chair Election Process

The Chair reviewed the Chair and Co-Chair Election Process, as sent to the ac-coord mailing list prior to the meeting. No further clarification was needed.

    1. Nominations and Statement of Interest for ASO AC Chair

The Chair noted one statement of interest that was received on the mailing list, for Mark McFadden.

No other nominations or statements of interest were forthcoming.

The Chair declared the nominations period closed.

Mark McFadden stated that his main goal as potential new chair of the Address Council would be to facilitate closure of the ASO MoU between ICANN and the RIRs.

    1. Election of ASO AC Chair

The secretariat established the quorum of the Address Council present. A roll call was held to poll the AC membersvotes. Eight votes were counted in favour, no abstentions, no votes against.

The Chair noted that Mark McFadden was the new chair of the Address Council.

    1. Nomination of Co-Chairs by newly elected chair

The Chair recognised the strong support received from Hans Petter Holen and Hartmut Glaser during 2003, and nominated both for Co-Chairs of the AC.

    1. Election and designation of Co-Chair

A roll call was held to poll the AC membersvotes.
Eight votes were counted in favour, no abstentions, no votes against.

The Chair noted that Hans Petter Holen and Hartmut Glaser were the new Co-Chairs of the AC.

    1. Review of the Call for an ASO General Assembly

The Chair reviewed the requirements, and detailed his proposal for the election of an ICANN board member as sent to the mailing list before the meeting.

JC warned that the proposed date of 5 May might is a public holiday in the Netherlands. AP replied that this is the week of the RIPE meeting, which will be held regardless of public holidays.

AP warned that the proposed deadline of 21 January for the Call for Nominations would be impossible to achieve.

HPH and ED proposed to instruct the secretariat to announce the call for nomination, and the date for the 2004 General Assembly of the ASO, as soon as possible.

AP confirmed that it could be done on 22 January. The Chair noted no objections to this proposal.

Action #0401-02 SEC
Secretariat to announce the date of the ASO General Assembly to be 5 May 2005, at the venue of RIPE 48 in Amsterdam.
Action #0401-03 SEC
Secretariat to announce the Call for Nomination for ICANN board member.

    1. Review of the draft ASO AC Roadmap

The Chair gives the background on the AC workplan for 2004 as sent to the mailing list before the meeting.

HPH suggests to include a point for December 2004 Planning ASO GA.

All agreed.

Further suggestions were made to include attendance of all the RIR, ICANN and also the AfriNIC I meeting of the year.

The chair will re-distribute the revised workplan.

Action #0401-04 (Chair)
Update and re-distribute the AC Workplan 2004.

    1. Any other business

HPH asked for clarification on the ACs role in policy formation. Should the AC be involved in policy making, or should the ACs role be to watch the policy making process with regard to open bottom-up principles. This issue was discusses without clear consensus. The Chair proposed that those AC members present at the forthcoming RIPE 47 meeting discuss this questions between themselves and also with other meeting participants. Further, this issue should be put in the a genda for the March AC meeting.
All agreed.

Action #0401-05 All
Discuss role of AC in policy making process in preparation for March teleconference.

SJ was not present anymore, discussing e-voting software thus was deferred.

The Chairs point about the procedures to elect an ICANN board member has been discussed earlier during the meeting. He will revise the timeline document and re-send it to the list.

Action #0401-06 Chair
To revise the timeline of ICANN board member election document and re-send it to the list.

HPH notes that he sent an invitation to the mailing list to make a presentation on behalf of the AC at the Policy Working Group during RIPE 47. The Chair volunteered to do so.

LL asked that the secretariat update the AC members list on the ASO website.

Action #0401-07 Sec
Update ASO website.

The Chair closed the meeting at 2252 UTC.

Next AC teleconference will take place during the ICANN meeting in Rome, JC offered to arrange a room.


Open action item list

Action #03012-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 1 October 2003.
Done
Action #03012-02 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 15 October 2003.
Done
Action #03012-03 Chair
Chair to use mailing list to determine likely AC attendance at RIPE and ARIN meetings in the first half of 2004, to determine the best location for the General Assembly.
Done
Action #03012-04 Chair, HG
Chair and HG will collaborate on producing a draft Road Map, for circulation by Christmas, to be formally discussed in the January AC teleconference.
Done

New Action item list:

Action #0401-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 3 December 2003
Action #0401-02 SEC
Secretariat to announce the date of the ASO General Assembly to be 5 May 2005, at the venue of RIPE 48 in Amsterdam.
Action #0401-03 SEC
Secretariat to announce the Call for Nomination for ICANN board member.
Action #0401-04 (Chair)
Update and re-distribute the AC Workplan 2004.
Action #0401-05 All
Discuss role of AC in policy making process in preparation for March teleconference.
Action #0401-06 Chair
To revise the timeline of ICANN board member election document and re-send it to the list.
Action #0401-07 Sec
Update ASO website.

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC)

Action #0307-03 SEC
Secretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed. This action will be held open until there is a new MoU.
Open/Stalled