AC Attendees:

Takashi Arano (TA)
Raimundo Beca (RB)
Eric Decker (ED)
Julian Dunayevich (JD)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Hans Petter Holen (HH)
Kenny Huang (KSH)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)
Mark McFadden (CHAIR)

Listener/Observers:

Adiel Akplogan (AA)

ARIN:

Ray Plzak (RP)
Richard Jimmerson (RJ)

LACNIC:

Raul Echeberria (RE)

RIPE NCC:

none

APNIC:

Anne Lord, ASO Secretariat (SEC-AL)
Gerard Ross, ASO Secretariat (SEC-GR)

ICANN:

John Crain (JC)

Agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Apologies received
  3. Agenda bashing
  4. Minutes from 4 June, 2003, AC Teleconference
  5. Minutes from the 4th ASO GA
  6. Status of open actions
  7. Process for e-voting
  8. AC Election process documentation – final review
  9. Report from ICANN Meeting, Montreal
  10. Any other business (AOB)

    1. Welcome

The Chair opened the meeting at 22:00 UTC.

    1. Apologies received

Apologies were received from: Kim Hubbard, Seung-Min Lee, Wilfried Woeber.

Absent: n/a.

    1. Agenda bashing

The Chair reviewed the draft agenda and asked if there were any additions or amendments.

There will be a short report on the status of AfriNIC.

RP asked to add an item on the ICANN resolution on the composition of regions.

SJ raised the issue of the timing of the meeting.

    1. Minutes from 4 June 2003, AC Teleconference

The Chair noted that the minutes had been circulated.

The Chair noted that there is a need to add a new piece of input to the survey results appended to the these minutes.

The Chair moved to approve the minutes from 4 June 2003 subject to the update to the survey results. There were no objections. The motion to publish the minutes passed.

Action #0307-01 CHAIR, SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 4 June 2003.

    1. Minutes from the 4th ASO GA

The Chair noted that the minutes had been available in draft for some time. He asked if there were any amendments required. There were none. The Chair moved that the GA minutes be accepted and published as final. This was accepted.

Action #0307-02 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from the 4th ASO GA.

    1. Status of open actions

      • n/a

The Chair provided a summary of open action items.

Open action item list

Action #0303-03 SJ
SJ to circulate full details of the discussed election software and voting procedure. This item is to be held open pending discussion at the RIPE meeting in Barcelona. Done
Action #0305-02 CHAIR, SEC
The Chair will amend the AC Election process document and forward it to the Secretariat. The Secretariat will publish the document on the web site and issue a call for public comment. The AC will hold a final discussion of the document in the July AC meeting. Document published and call for comments made. Discussion to be deferred until August meeting to allow more time for comments. Open
Action #0305-03 SEC
The Secretariat to issue a call for public comment on the ICANN BoD election process document. This call is to be made to the aso-announce list and also to RIRs’ announcement and policy lists. Document published and call for comments made. Discussion to be deferred until August meeting to allow more time for comments. Open
Action #0305-04 CHAIR, SEC
The Chair to amend the Roadmap document to remove the second workshop for 2003. The Chair to then forward the Roadmap to the Secretariat, which will publish the document and call for public comments. Document published and call for comments made. Discussion to be deferred until August meeting to allow more time for comments. Open
Action #0306-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 7 May 2003. Done
Action #0306-02 CHAIR
Chair to follow up with ICANN regarding legal aspects of e-voting. HH noted that it is important to sort out the legal aspects, but that the discussions of processes and systems can go ahead in the meantime. Done
Action #0306-03 CHAIR, SEC
Chair to provide a summary of the results of the AC survey. This summary will note that on most questions, the AC has reached a clear consensus. In relation to the other questions: the summary will explain that those AC members objecting to RIR staff appointments to the AC do so in consideration of the need to separate policy development and policy execution; the summary will seek to clarify the wording regarding the role of participants and listeners. The Secretariat shall append this summary to the minutes of this meeting. Done
Action #0306-04 RE
RE to prepare a full report of the recent meeting in Uruguay and discuss the current progress of AfriNIC. Done

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC)

    1. Process for e-voting

SJ has circulated a summary of the information she has received on e-voting software. She noted that this is the software that is used by the DNSO.

The Chair noted that the proposal includes a suggestion that the ASO pay an annual fee. SJ explained she needs to discuss this more, but noted that there is an offer to provide a free three month trial.

HH suggested tasking the Secretariat to investigate other options. There was a discussion as to who the voting system was intended to serve. It was suggested that it would only be required for the AC itself. HG suggested that if this was the case, the system would not need to be particularly sophisticated. He also suggested that for such a small voting group, it may not be appropriate to pay annual fees.

The Chair asked whether this was an item that could be deferred until later. HH explained his proposal for the Secretariat to investigate other technical solutions. The AC agreed with this proposal.

Action #0307-03 SEC
Secretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed.

    1. AC Election process documentation – final review

This item to be deferred until August meeting to allow further time for comments.

    1. Report from ICANN Meeting, Montreal

The Chair reported that KH and HG were present with him in Montreal. There was an informal gathering which was well attended and the Chair gave a presentation, which has been passed to the Secretariat for publication. There was also a question and answer session at this meeting, which included a discussion as to why there was a need for global policy.

The Chair noted that the RIRs were all represented in Montreal by their CEOs and at least one board member each. The Chair reported that the RIRs worked hard to make strong progress in the negotiations with ICANN.

    1. Any other business (AOB)

      • Administrative Centre in Mauritius
      • Training Centre in Ghana
      • Technical Operations Centre in South Africa
      • Back Up & Disaster Recovery Centre in Egypt

Status of AfriNIC

AA gave a brief update of the recent developments in AfriNIC. He noted that at the recent Kampala meeting, there was a decision to split the AfriNIC activities across four countries as follows:

AfriNIC is now able to move ahead with other activities, including training and other liaison with the existing RIRs.

AA noted that AfriNIC is making good progress and is now very close to formalising the organisation and commencing operational activities.

HH asked about the reasoning for a distributed AfriNIC. AA explained that it is to ensure maximum involvement of the stakeholder nations. He also noted the advice that had been received from LACNIC about how the split can be managed well and can lead to a good result. He also noted that the split takes account of the north, south, east, and west regions of the African region.

ICANN resolution on the composition of regions

The Chair asked RP to provide a report about this issue and also asked whether the ASO AC should take a position on this issue.

RP noted that at the last ICANN meeting the ICANN Board of Directors discussed issues about the ICANN definition of the regions. This was part of review mandated by the ICANN by-laws. RP further explained that prior to the ICANN meeting, the RIRs had sent the President of ICANN, Paul Twomey, a message stating that regions as defined by ICANN were not necessarily the same as defined by the RIRs. The message cited the reasons for this. At the meeting this message was noted by Paul Twomey who stated that he supported this position. The message was read into the proceedings of the ICANN meeting by RE on behalf of the RIRs. The Board discussed this and other issues relating to the definitions of regions. The Chair of the ICANN Board noted that if only one definition was to be used it would have to be the one of the RIRs because of routing implications. The ICANN Board subsequently passed a resolution declaring its definition of regions and at the same time recognized that the RIR definition would be different.

In regards to the Chair’s question whether the ASO AC should take a position on this, RP said that given the fact that the ICANN Board had already acted on this issue the question was moot.

Time of conference call

RB noted that it had been discussed previously that the call should always be based on London time rather than Universal time. SJ concurred with this decision.

The Chair will prepare a set of times for the August meeting.

Action #0307-04 CHAIR
Chair to produce and circulate a table of local times for the August meeting.

Next RIPE meeting

HH noted that the RIPE LIR Working Group has now been split into two new working groups: the Address Policy WG and the NCC Services WG.

Possible draft ICANN agreement

The Chair noted that it seems possible that in the next month the RIRs could publish a draft ICANN agreement. He asked whether the AC wanted to call a special meeting for this or just discuss it at the next normal AC meeting. This issue was not resolved and will be discussed when the draft becomes available.

[Meeting closed 22:55]


Open action item list

Action #0305-02 SEC
(Updated) Secretariat to include discussion of the AC Election process document in the agenda of the August AC meeting.
Action #0305-03 SEC
(Updated) Secretariat to include discussion of the ICANN BoD election process document in the agenda of the August AC meeting.
Action #0305-04 SEC
(Updated) Secretariat to include discussion of the 2003 Roadmap document in the agenda of the August AC meeting.
Action #0307-01 CHAIR, SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 4 June 2003.
Action #0307-02 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from the 4th ASO GA.
Action #0307-03 SEC
Secretariat to investigate technical solutions for conducting e-voting. Once a proposal is made, then the AC can test it and make a decision as to whether to proceed.
Action #0307-04 CHAIR
Chair to produce and circulate a table of local times for the August meeting.

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC)

  • n/a