AC Attendees:

Takashi Arano (TA)
Raimundo Beca (RB)
Eric Decker (ED)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Kenny Huang (KSH)
Kim Hubbard (KH)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)
Mark McFadden (CHAIR)
Wilfried Woeber (WW)

Listener/Observers:

n/a

ARIN:

Richard Jimmerson (RJ)
Raymond Plzak (RP)

LACNIC:

Raul Echeberria (RE)

RIPE NCC:

Axel Pawlik (AP)

APNIC:

Anne Lord, ASO Secretariat (SEC-AL)
Gerard Ross, ASO Secretariat (SEC-GR)

ICANN:

Barbara Roseman (BR)
John Crain (JC)

Agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Apologies received
  3. Agenda bashing
  4. Minutes from 5 March 2003, AC Teleconference
  5. Status of open actions
  6. Review of Address Council Activities at Rio ICANN
  7. Review of potential agenda items for ASO GA
  8. AC Election process documentation – final review
  9. ICANN BoD election process
  10. Road map for 2003 – Overview
  11. Any Other Business (AOB)

    1. Welcome

The Chair opened the meeting at 22:05 UTC.

    1. Apologies received

Apologies were received from: none

Absent: Julian Dunayevich and Seung-Min Lee.

    1. Agenda bashing

The Chair reviewed the draft agenda and asked if there were any additions or amendments. There were no changes to the draft agenda.

    1. Minutes from 5 March 2003, AC Teleconference

The Chair noted that the minutes had been circulated. The process for circulating and finalising the draft minutes was reviewed. The Chair moved to approve the minutes from 5 March 2003. There were no objections. The motion to publish the minutes passed.

Action #0304-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 5 March 2003.

    1. Status of open actions

Open action item list

Action #0301-03 CHAIR
Chair to investigate the ICANN budget issues; he will work with ICANN to better understand the budgetary process and the AC’s role in that process. He will report back to AC.
HG to review material from the meeting between finance committee and the budget advisory committee, and report back at the next AC meeting.
All AC members to consider whether they have any input for this process.
HG noted that there was a meeting in Rio to discuss the draft budget. He noted that Axel Pawlik, Paul Wilson, and Ray Plzak were present and suggested that AP would be able to provide input; however, RP noted that it is necessary that the Address Council make this report.
The Chair noted that ICANN has published a draft budget. HG reviewed the proposed timetable for discussion, revision, and adoption of the budget. ICANN intends to adopt a final budget by 26 June.
HG clarified that he was not at the meeting as a representative of the AC. rather, he was invited there to represent the Latin American Country Code community.
The Chair will summarise the open issues on this item and circulate that summary to the AC list. KH asked about the role of the ASO in the budget process. The Chair noted that all interested parties are able to provide comments. HH asked if the RIRs should be handling this process rather than the Address Council. HH suggested that the Address Council should not make formal comments on the budget, but should instead ask that this be done by the RIRs. KH seconded this proposal. ED and WW also agreed that the Address Council has not currently got a specific reason to provide input in the budget process.
RP noted that ICANN had only agreed for three RIR representatives to pariticipate in the budget process. As there were now four RIR CEOs, the RIRs decided to appoint one of those to represent the RIRs in this process. AP was selected as that representative.
The Chair asked if there were any AC members who strongly felt the need for the AC to provide budget input.
HG noted that there had been concerns about the level of service from IANA. There may still be a need to address this service issue. HG said the AC should take advantage of any opportunity to address the service issue and that the budget group may provide that opportunity. AP suggested that in relation to contractual arrangements and budget issue, the RIRs are well placed to handle this without the need for the AC to provide additional input.
HH suggested that the AC could give AP an additional mandate to carry the service concerns on behalf of the AC.
The Chair will refer this matter to the mailing list to discuss whether the AC has any need to provide budget inputs. The discussion should also consider the issue of whether IANA-related service concerns should be passed on to ICANN through the budget discussion process. Open
Action #0302-02 CHAIR
The Chair to incorporate the comments received in the AC election process document and circulate the revised document for final AC comments.
No progress to report. Open
Action #0302-03 CHAIR
The Chair to prepare discussion of the Road map for 2003 on the April agenda. Done
Action #0302-04 CHAIR, RE
The Chair and RE to prepare a draft agenda for a second workshop to be held later in the year. Chair to identify a teleconference in 2003 to return to the issue of the second workshop.
No progress to report. Open
Action # 030301 SEC
Publish final minutes from 5 February 2003. Done
Action #030302 KH, ED
KH and ED to merge both drafts relating to the ICANN BoD election process. Final version required before April teleconference. Done
Action #030303 SJ
SJ to circulate full details of the discussed election software and voting procedure.
SJ has not yet received the information on this item. Open
Action #030304 SEC
Secretariat to mail all AC members to confirm attendance at the LACNIC meeting. Done

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC)

#12-4 RIRs/IANA
Resource request procedure document. RP will compile the comments received from each RIR and will pass them on to ICANN. Done

    1. Review of Address Council Activities at Rio ICANN

The Chair noted that he provided an AC update during the Rio meeting. He noted that there were good informal conversations during that meeting, as well as some more formal representations.

The Chair also noted the several informal meetings he held with ICANN Board members. In these meetings, he did not express formal opinions on behalf of the AC, but noted that the AC represented a range of views.

The Chair will propose a more formal session to be held during the ICANN meeting in Montreal.

The Chair also asked AP to bring the AC up to date on the discussions between the RIRs and the ICANN ERC at the Rio meeting.

AP noted that most issues resulting from the reform process are now more or less agreed. One point left open is whether there should be mediation or arbitration in case of disputes. The next step is for the RIR boards to propose a new MoU, with a view to also reopen negotiations on a new contract.

KH noted the amount of effort that the RIRs and ICANN have had in getting to this stage and the understandable reluctance to reopen negotiations after reaching an agreement. However, she sought assurance that if the public had valid suggestions the parties would address them. RP noted that the RIRs are committed to putting a draft contract up for public comment, as all steps in the negotiations have been made public. AP and RP also noted that the RIRs are not concerned that the public comment process will unduly hamper the efforts to finalise the contract.

The Chair asked if the RIRs have discussed the future of the ASO and AC in the negotiations with ICANN. AP noted that in the recent discussions, there were few firm discussions on this process. RP noted that the RIRs requested input from the AC on this matter in January. He again asked the AC to forward any ideas on this topic. He noted there are no working documents available at this moment. KH asked if any working documents would be released to the AC before they were released for general public comment. RP noted that this would be up to the Boards. HH and ED noted that the AC has had access to the Blueprint document for a long time and there have not yet been any written comments by AC members.

    1. Review of potential agenda items for ASO GA

AL noted that following publication of the draft agenda, no other agenda items have been received. AP and RP also confirmed that no comments had been received at ARIN and RIPE NCC.

The Chair moved that the draft agenda be adopted as the final agenda for the Santiago meeting.

    1. AC Election process documentation – final review

The Chair noted that as he had not yet sent out the relevant documentation, this should be deferred to the May meeting.

[Note: refer to action #0302-03.]

    1. ICANN BoD election process

ED noted that a draft of this document (version 0.3.A) has now been circulated, but that there remain issues the AC needs to consider in terms of future directions.

The Chair noted that it is necessary to make a decision, but the draft is not yet ready to be published for public comments.

One question to be considered is whether the nomination period should be closed before the General Assembly or left open for nominations from the floor during the General Assembly.

HH noted that allowing nominations from the floor may lead to a situation where candidates nominated may not be present to speak for themselves. WW noted that with a 90 day nomination period, it is better procedurally to close the nominations before the meeting. KH and ED agreed with this proposal.

ED noted that the intent is to invite the candidates to attend the GA to meet the AC and to present themselves to the community. HH suggested leaving the comment period open until the GA. ED summarised HH’s suggestion as providing a three month nomination period, a one month comment period, and then the GA.

KH suggested that it might be useful to extend the comment period for a couple of weeks after the GA to allow comments by those who have seen and heard the candidates.

ED suggested that there be a 90 day nomination period, closing two weeks before GA. The comment period would then run from two weeks before the GA until two weeks after the GA.

SJ suggested that an invitation to attend the GA should be included in the nomination information.

The Chair asked that ED prepare a final draft, incorporating the consensus items from this discussion.

SJ raised the question as to how to determine eligibility. She noted that it is important to ensure that the criteria are made explicit.

Action #0304-02 ED, SJ, SEC
ED will finalise the ICANN BoD election process draft, incorporating the comments from the April Teleconference and additional information to be provided by SJ. ED will forward the draft to the Secretariat, which will publish the document more widely.

    1. Road map for 2003 – Overview

The Chair reviewed the progress of the development of the Road map Document. He noted that potential changes to the ASO may lead to other changes.

There were no comments received. The Chair proposed referring discussion of this to the mailing list and putting it on the next agenda.

Action #0304-03 CHAIR
The Chair will refer discussion of the Road Map for 2003 to the mailing list and will place the item on the next teleconference agenda.

    1. Any Other Business (AOB)

ARIN meeting

The Chair noted in relation to the forthcoming ARIN meeting that the AC has been invited to discuss AC issues with RP and the ARIN Board of Trustees. He noted that this was a good opportunity for interesting discussions.

[Meeting closed 23:15]


Open action item list

Action #0301-03 CHAIR
In relation to the ICANN budget process, The Chair will refer this matter to the mailing list to discuss whether the AC has any need to provide budget inputs. The discussion should also consider the issue of whether IANA-related service concerns should be passed on to ICANN through the budget discussion process. Open
Action #0302-02 CHAIR
The Chair to incorporate the comments received in the AC election process document and circulate the revised document for final AC comments. Open
Action #0302-04 CHAIR, RE
The Chair and RE to prepare a draft agenda for a second workshop to be held later in the year. Chair to identify a teleconference in 2003 to return to the issue of the second workshop. Open
Action #0303-03 SJ
SJ to circulate full details of the discussed election software and voting procedure. Open
Action #0304-01 SEC
Secretariat to publish final minutes from 5 March 2003. Open
Action #0304-02 ED, SJ, SEC
ED will finalise the ICANN BoD election process draft, incorporating the comments from the April Teleconference and additional information to be provided by SJ. ED will forward the draft to the Secretariat, which will publish the document more widely. Open
Action #0304-03 CHAIR
The Chair will refer discussion of the Road Map for 2003 to the mailing list and will place the item on the next teleconference agenda. Open

Shelf list (items pending action outside the ASO AC)

  • n/a