Present:

Takashi Arano (TA)
Kenny Huang (KH)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)
Barbara Roseman (Chair)
Cathy Wittbrodt (CJW)

Raimundo Beca (RB)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
German Valdez (GV)
Mouhamet Diop (MD)
Paul Wilson (PW)
John Crain (JW)
Axel Pawlik (AP)
Ray Plzak (RP)
Richard Jimmerson, Secretariat (SEC)

Agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Apologies received
  3. Agenda bashing
  4. Minutes from April 2002 AC teleconference
  5. Report from ARIN IX and RIPE 42
  6. Status of open actions
  7. Verisign agreement amendment request
  8. BoD elections
  9. AOB
  10. Adjournment

  1. Welcome

  2. The Chair opened the call at 22:00 UCT (6:00 pm EST). It was noted that due to lack of quorum, the previously scheduled telephonic meeting on May 8, 2002, was canceled

  3. Apologies received

  4. Apologies received from Hans Peter Hollen, Anne Lord of APNIC.

  5. Agenda bashing

  6. SEC read the Agenda. The Chair asked for any additions. There were none.

  7. Minutes from April 2002 AC teleconference

  8. The Chair asked SEC for the status of the procedure for the minutes. SEC reported that the process is in place. He sent the minutes to the AC list for comment no longer than one week after the last meeting, then after the AC reviewed the minutes, the minutes were posted to the ASO website as a draft, to be approved at next AC meeting. The Chair accepted this procedure. CJW moved to accept the minutes, and this was seconded by KH. The motion carried unanimously. SEC will remove the “draft” header from the minutes on the website.

  9. Report from ARIN IX and RIPE 42

  10. RP gave a brief overview of the ARIN IX meeting held in Las Vegas in April. He reported that IPv6 policy proposal as amended at the APNIC meeting held in Bangkok in March was adopted with minor modifications. The modifications included using the term “License” instead of “Lease”, and that there was no apparent consensus for subsequent allocations. RP also stated the policy proposal on micro allocations was refined and expanded to include IPv6, and that the discussion on lame delegations was deferred. He stated that in regard to the ICANN reform, the RIRs jointly announced that they would give ICANN half of the escrow money, but that they had declined signing the contract due to the turmoil within ICANN at this time. The ARIN IX minutes are posted on website.

    The Chair thanked RP and then asked if someone would report on the recent Ripe 42 meeting in Amsterdam this month. AP reported similarly, stating that the proposal for IPv6 was presented and accepted, and a final policy paper was being drafted. He also stated that the ICANN CEO presented at the meeting, and the discussion that ensued thereafter indicated that the RIRs can continue to do their job without ICANN.

    The Chair thanked AP for his report and asked for the status of open action items. SEC presented the action item list.

  11. Status of open actions

  12. Action # 12-4 RIRs/IANA
    Resource request procedure document. RIRS still awaiting response to date. Chair to propose procedure for putting this item on a shelf list. Further instructions from Chair to come to SEC.
    SEC defined the shelf list as a list of open action items whose resolution is beyond the control of the AC. As this item is listed later on this list, it was decided to defer the discussion until later in this meeting. Closed
    Action # 0202-02 SEC
    Report on DNSO and PSO procedures for recording teleconferences and posting them to their respective web sites. SEC to discontinue recordings and to destroy archived recordings.
    SEC reported that all recordings have been discontinued, and all archived recordings have been destroyed. Closed
    Action # 0204-01 Chair
    The Chair requested time to draft a procedure for creating a shelf list. Instructions will be sent to SEC at a later date.
    The Chair asked if there were any objections to creating this list, published with the agenda of items that are pending further action outside of the AC’s control? There were no objections. The Chair then asked SEC to adopt this procedure. SEC will add item #12-4 to the shelf list as the first item. The Chair requested SEC to note that it is an item pending action outside AC. Open
    Action # 0204-02 SEC
    Procedure for Minutes. SEC to send minutes in a timely fashion to the AC for comment to last no longer than one week of the original meeting. After AC review, Secretariat to then post Draft Minutes to web with header that they will be approved at next regularly scheduled meeting.
    SEC stated that the procedure has been followed and will incorporate as procedure on the website. The Chair agreed to close this item. Closed
    Action # 0204-03 ED, BR, HPH, (SEC)
    Committee on ICANN Evolution and Reform. ASO-created subcommittee to respond to Louis Touton’s request to comment before 31st of May. SEC to create private list in which subcommittee can correspond.
    SEC reported that the list has been created and that a request was sent to the subcommittee asking if they will include all three members in their correspondence to each other to eliminate anyone being left out of the correspondence. The Chair then suggested splitting this action item into 2 items due to the fact that the SEC had completed his part, but the subcommittee had not. SJ then asked the Chair when the response would be ready. The Chair replied that she would like to have it completed by Monday, May 20th. Open
    Action # 0204-04 SEC
    BoD Elections. SEC to send test messages to elections list identifying who is on it.
    The SEC completed this task, and list is active. The Chair urged all to participate and stressed the importance of the fact that their arguments for support should be given by the June 24th ICANN meeting. Closed

  13. Verisign agreement amendment request

  14. Discussions are on-going, with no position taken to date. The Chair stated that she would draft a document to the AC by next Friday. SEC stated that ICANN has two RFCs out regarding ENR Committee mission, and the core values and development process. The Chair stated that the subcommittee will incorporate responses to these RFCs as well.

    SEC stated that since this Agenda was drafted, AfriNIC had their meeting. SEC gave a brief report stating that the meeting had taken place earlier this week in Lome, Togo. Two main items related to AfriNIC regarding the other RIRs assistance in training, and an MOU was signed with RIPE. ARIN submitted a letter of support. Background information was given to the audience and discussions took place on moving forward to create the new RIR. The Chair asked if AP had anything to add. He did not. JC asked when the documents would be available. SEC replied that they are already posted on AfriNIC website. RIPE and ARIN will be posting them as well. The Chair thanked SEC for the update.

  15. BoD elections

  16. As agreed in previous meetings, at this point MD and RB voluntarily left the call. The Chair stated the election mailing list has been established and reiterated that the AC discuss this item on the list. She urged them to be straight forward on what they expect to come out of this directorship and whom they want. She stated that it was possible that the candidate may not be seated in a traditional sense, due to the ICANN reform. The Chair reiterated that the AC make a decision so the candidate can participate in the June ICANN meeting. The question arose of when the current board seat terminated.

    From the Bylaws of ICANN – Section 9(c)5:

    “The term of a Director selected by any Supporting Organization to succeed a Director previously selected by it (other than a Director selected to fill a vacancy) shall expire at the conclusion of the third Annual Meeting of the Corporation after the one at the conclusion of which the term of the Director’s predecessor expired.”

    The third annual meeting of ICANN in 2002 will conclude on October 31.

    The Chair asked if anyone had anything to add. CJW stated that her comments were sent to the list. The Chair recognized that KH had done this as well.

  17. AOB

  18. Chair asked if there was any other business to discuss. JC asked if anyone needs room in Romania for the upcoming ICANN meeting. The Chair stated that she did not think so, but if so, she would get back to him. The dates of the ICANN meeting were given: 6/24-28/02.

    TA raised the question of having 3 identical policies versus one global policy. A brief discussion ensued with the Chair reiterating that the general consensus of RIR constituencies was to have three globally coordinated policies, not 1 ASO policy. The Chair then asked TA if he understood this to be true. TA agreed but felt the resulting documents should be discussed.

    The Chair then asked AP if RIPE was going to adopt the IPv6 policy as their own. AP answered affirmatively. RP interjected that none of the RIRs have made a recommendation to make it a global policy and that all RIRs are in agreement of the three coordinated policies.

    PW stated that there was a fair amount of complaint that having one global policy is a cumbersome process and that three polices are a compromise between global and local, and it’s been acceptable so far.

    The Chair asked when the next AC meeting would be. SEC stated it would be Wednesday, June 5th. The Chair stated that a standard reminder is helpful and would appreciate being reminded. She also stated that if an AC member could not make the meeting, to please announce it in advance.

  19. Adjournment

  20. There being no further discussion, the Chair called to adjourn at 22:40 UTC. SJ motioned to adjourn and this was seconded by CJW. Motion carried unanimously.


Actions closed at this meeting

Action # 0202-02 SEC
Report on DNSO and PSO procedures for recording teleconferences and posting them to their respective web sites. SEC to discontinue recordings and to destroy archived recordings. Closed
Action # 0204-02 SEC
Procedure for Minutes. SEC to send minutes in a timely fashion to the AC for comment to last no longer than one week of the original meeting. After AC review, Secretariat to then post Draft Minutes to web with header that they will be approved at next regularly scheduled meeting. Closed
Action # 0204-04 SEC
BoD Elections. SEC to send test messages to elections list identifying who is on it. Closed.
Action # 0204-03B
Committee on ICANN Evolution and Reform. SEC to create private list in which ASO subcommittee can correspond. Closed
Action # 0204-01 Chair
Procedure for creating Shelf List. The Chair requested time to draft a procedure for creating a shelf list. Instructions will be sent to SEC at a later date. Closed

Actions remaining open

Action # 0204-03A ED, BR, HPH, (SEC)
Committee on ICANN Evolution and Reform. ASO-created subcommittee to respond to Louis Touton’s request to comment before 31st of May. Open

New action items

Action # 0205-01 SEC
Minutes from April 2002 AC teleconference. SEC to remove the “draft” header from the minutes and post procedure to the ASO website.
Action # 0205-02 SEC
Create Shelf-List. SEC to create list and add Action Item #12-4 to the list noting that it is a pending action outside the AC.

Shelf list [items pending action outside the ASO AC]

Action # 12-4 RIRs/IANA
Resource request procedure document. RIRS still awaiting response to date. Chair to propose procedure for putting this item on a shelf list. Further instructions from Chair to come to SEC. Open