AC Attendees:

  • Jean Robert Hountomey, JRH – AfriNIC
  • Alan Barrett, AB – AfriNIC
  • Kenny Huang, KH – APNIC
  • Tomohiro Fujisaki, TF – APNIC
  • Louis Lee, LL – ARIN
  • Martin Hannigan, MH – ARIN
  • Jason Schiller, JS – ARIN
  • Francisco Obispo, FO – LACNIC
  • Dave Wilson, DW – RIPE NCC
  • Hans Petter Holen, HPH – RIPE NCC

Secretariat:

  • Laureana Pavón, LP – LACNIC

Observers:

  • Germán Valdéz, GV – APNIC
  • Ernesto Majó, EM – LACNIC
  • Ernest Byaruhanga, EB, AfriNIC
  • Nate Davis, ND – ARIN
  • Einar Bohlin, EB – ARIN
  • Olof Nordling, ON – ICANN Staff
  • Leo Vegoda, LV- ICANN Staff
  • Kuo-Wei Wu, KW – ICANN Board
  • Ray Plzak, RP – ICANN Board
  • Yilmar Filiz, FY – RIPE NCC

Agenda:

  1. Welcome
  2. Global Policy Proposal: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Policy for Allocation of ASN Blocks to Regional Internet Registries
    a. PPFT report
    b. Roll call vote (simple majority wins)
    c. Advice to the ICANN Board
  3. AoB (urgent items only, please)
  4. Adjournment

1. Welcome

LL welcomed everyone to the meeting at 1310 UTC. The draft agenda was reviewed and no changes or additions were suggested.

1. Global Policy Proposal: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Policy for Allocation of ASN Blocks to Regional Internet Registries

a. PPFT report

DW presented a quick summary of the report of the GPP and review of the PDP process in the five registries which he had sent to the mailing list and the discussions that had been going on. He thanked everyone for the feedback and changes suggested for the first draft.

DW said that the policy proposal had gone through the procedure in the five regions pretty quickly and that the process of each RIR had been followed correctly.

After asking the ASO AC if they were happy with the final version of DW’s report, and as no issues were raised for discussion, a roll call vote was called.

b. Roll call vote (simple majority wins)

AB presented the following motion: “Having considered the PPFT report on the Global Policy Proposal for AS numbers, the ASO-AC finds that the proposal was properly passed in all the RIRs, and accordingly recommends that the proposal should be forwarded to the ICANN Board for ratification as a Global Policy.”

After the motion was seconded by MH, a roll call vote was conducted with the following results: 10 in favor, none against. The motion carried.

Action item 0710-01: LL to forward the policy proposal to the ICANN Board, with cc to the ASO AC.

LL immediately proceeded to forward the policy proposal to the ICANN Board and after AB had confirmed that he had received the letter through the ac-coord list the action item was CLOSED.

c. Advice to the ICANN Board

LL said that according to ICANN’s procedures ICANN should ask the ASO AC for advice, adding that he’d sent a first draft for a possible advice letter to the mailing list, which he proceeded to read.

ON suggested two editorial changes with which everyone agreed, so LL said he would make the necessary corrections.

DW motioned that the Chair send the modified letter of advice to the ICANN Secretary.

AB seconded the motion and a roll call vote was conducted with the following results: 10 in favor, none opposed. The motion carried.

Action item 0710-02: LL to send the revised the letter of advice to the ICANN Board Secretary.

3. AOB:

JS observed that during this teleconference there had been audio problems that had not occurred before (echo for certain speakers, etc.) and ON added that the dial in numbers for Norway did not work, to which LP replied that she would find out what had happened.

LL said that we are looking to use Webex for future meetings so we should schedule some testing, specially for those who have not used Webex before, so we can be sure that it works well in all regions.

ND commented that the NRO EC has been using it for a while for their monthly calls and in reply to JS’s question said that in general the call quality was good, without echo.

MH reiterated what he’d said at the Brussels meeting that they’d need a one page document on how it would work and maybe the success they’ve had and some explanation of the return on investment. He suggested that if the NRO is already using it they could just skip the testing and evaluate Webex on a live call.

LL said that the idea of a test call is to see how well it works in the areas where the ASO AC members reside, not only where the RIR headquarters are located.

JS said that another possibility would be to schedule the ASO AC’s next call in both systems (Webex and traditional teleconference) and try to use Webex first and if that doesn’t work they could fall back to the other bridge. Several agreements were heard and LL added that JS’s idea would imply no additional expense even if they ended up using the old teleconference system.

LP said that the next meeting was on 5 August and asked whether that teleconference should be scheduled as JS had suggested (Webex + traditional teleconference). MH said that sounded fine to him.

LL said that some testing could also be done beforehand and asked LP to write to the mailing list inquiring who would be willing to test Webex. It was decided to continue coordinating the Webex testing / upcoming call via email.

4. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn by JS, seconded by DW. There being no objections, the meeting was adjourned at 13.40 UTC.