AC Attendees:

Sebastian Bellagamba (SB), Chair
Alan Barrett (AB), Co-Chair
Sanford H. George (SHG)
Martin Hannigan (MH)
Hans Petter Holen (HPH), Co-Chair
Jean Robert Hountomey (JRH)
Kenny Huang (KH)
HJ Kwon (HJK)
Sabine Jaume (SJ)
Louis Lee (LL)
Francisco Obispo (FO)

Secretariat:

Therese Colosi, Recording Secretary (ARIN)

Observers:

Einar Bohlin (EB) – ARIN
Raimundo Beca (RB) – ICANN
Olof Nording (ON)- ICANN
Bart Boswinkle (BB) – ICANN
German Valdez – LACNIC
Filiz Yilman (FY) – RIPE

Apologies:

Hartmut Glaser
Raymond Plzak
Mao Wei
Wilfried Woeber

Absent:

Sylvia Geha Kezengwa

Draft Agenda:

  1. Welcome
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Discussion of amending the minutes of October 4, 2006
  4. ASO AC Face-to-Face Meeting in Sao Paulo, Brazil
  5. ICANN Board Selection Procedure
  6. Report from RIR Meetings
  7. IPv6 RIR Allocations
  8. Announcement of NomCom 2007 Representative
  9. Timeline for Board Selection Procedure
  10. Any Other Business
  11. Adjournment

1) Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 22:08 UTC. The presence of a quorum was noted.

2) Agenda Review

The Chair called for any comments.  There were no comments.

3) Discussion of amending the minutes of October 4, 2006

The Chair explained that after the last meeting on October 4, 2006, RB submitted a change to the minutes regarding his remarks on the new ICANN MoU between ICANN and the U.S. Department of Commerce (under Any Other Business).

MH stated he had sent an e-mail to the Council’s list, prior to this meeting, requesting the Council note in the 4 October minutes that that portion of the minutes were edited for clarity by RB; and, that the Council was not consulted on this vote, nor do they necessarily subscribe to this view of events related to the ICANN Board vote.

RB replied to MH’s posting, via e-mail, agreeing that the following text be inserted into to the minutes before his text: “The following portion of the minutes were edited for clarity by Raimundo Beca.”  RB also suggested the following text be added at the end of his proposed text: “The Council did not raise questions about this statement, nor did the Council discuss its content.”

The Chair asked MH if he accepted RB’s proposed notes to the edited text. MH agreed.

MH moved that:

“The ASO AC accepts Raimundo Beca’s edit to the October 4, 2006 Minutes, and also accepts the text he proposes as notes on the edit.”

This was seconded by LL.  The Chair called for any objections. There were no objections.

The motion carried unanimously with the Chair stating that the Minutes of October 4, 2006 were approved.

4) ASO AC Face-to-Face Meeting in Sao Paulo, Brazil

The Chair reviewed his previously proposed agenda with the Council. All agreed with the agenda. The Chair discussed two items that needed the most work prior to their meeting: the ICANN Board Selection Procedure; and Regional Policy issues. MH stated that the lessons learned presentation for the Board procedure was finished, and it was sent to the Council’s list this afternoon.  The Chair then requested volunteers to work on the regional policy issue item.  MH volunteered for this item.

The Chair stated he would send an edited Agenda to the Council’s list including the estimated length of time to be devoted for each issue.

5) ICANN Board Selection Procedure

The Chair suggested waiting for MH’s e-mail to arrive in order for the Council to review the presentation.  While awaiting guidance from the NRO on the procedure that was currently in draft form, the Chair suggested working on the procedure the Council used last year in the meantime to be able to move forward. He requested volunteers for a small task force, stating that Ray Plzak was willing to be a volunteer.  MH volunteered stating it made sense for him to be part of the task force since he drafted the lessons learned presentation; and, SJ also volunteered.  The Chair thanked them, stating this procedure would be edited and drafted for their meeting in Sao Paulo. He stated the Council could vote on the procedure then.

6) Report from RIR Meetings

A. RIPE 53, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.  SJ stated discussions took place on PI allocations and how the RIPE NCC will deal with it. HPH reviewed RIPE’s meeting minutes with the Council.

B. ARIN XVIII, St. Louis, MO.  MH provided a brief update stating he also sent an e-mail of the meeting report to the Council.

7) IPv6 RIR Allocations

At the last meeting, the Chair stated that when he received communication from John Jeffery (ICANN General Counsel) he requested on 19 September that ICANN provide the anticipated implementation date of the v6 policy in the form of a formal letter. The Chair stated he had not received an answer to date (4 October 2006), and suggested waiting a few more days.

The Chair stated that as of this meeting, he had not received communication from Mr. Jeffery. The Chair explained that he did check the IANA web page, and confirmed that each RIR has received their /12 IPv6 allocation. He stated that this was an historical event that will help to prevent past problems, and show that the stewardship of address space is being accomplished.

ON interjected that although the Council did not receive a written reply from Mr. Jeffrey, they did receive communication from David Conrad (General Manager of IANA) explaining in full detail that implementation was executed. ON offered to let Mr. Jeffrey know that the Council was awaiting his reply if they so desired. The Chair thanked ON, but did not feel it was necessary any longer, stating it was more a matter of the fact that the Council waited approximately a month for the reply and nothing was received. The Chair stated the Council was satisfied with the outcome as it stands.

8) Announcement of NomCom 2007 Representative

At the last meeting, the Chair stated that he would send the announcement to ICANN on 4 October 2006. The Chair stated that this had been done on 5 October 2006.

9) Timeline for Board Selection Procedure

At the last meeting, HPH stated that the calculations were not correct and suggested revising it and sending the calendar to the ASO AC. The Chair stated he had sent an e-mail correcting the timeline to the Council’s list prior to this meeting. He asked HPH to review the calculations. HPH confirmed they were now correct.

10) Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business items.  ON stated that the CCNSO will hold a meeting to discuss regional distribution and regional organization as part of ICANN’s meeting in Sao Paulo. He stated this may be of interest to the Council. The Chair thanked him for the information. MH stated he was aware of this meeting, and that his company was following the issue. MH thanked ON for bringing this to the Council’s attention.

RB asked if the Council would support congratulating SGH’s participation and re-election to the NomCom. The Council agreed with no objection.

The Chair asked if SJ would be calling into the Councils’ meeting in Sao Paulo. She replied that she may not be able to attend. The Chair then thanked SJ for all of her years of work on the Council.

11) Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 22:52 UTC.  SGH moved to adjourn and this was seconded by SJ. The motion carried unanimously.