AC Attendees:

  • Sebastian Bellagamba (SB), Chair
  • Ali Badiel (AB)
  • Sanford H. George (SG)
  • Hartmut Glaser (HG)
  • Martin Hannigan (MH)
  • Toshiyuki Hosaka (TH)
  • Jean Robert Hountomey (JRH)
  • Kenny Huang (KH)
  • Louis Lee (LL)
  • Francisco Obispo (FO)
  • Dave Wilson (DW)
  • Wilfried Woeber (WW)

Secretariat:

  • Samantha Dickinson, Recording Secretary – APNIC

Observers:

  • Adiel Akplogan (AA) – AfriNIC
  • Hisham Rojoa (HR) – AfriNIC
  • Son Tran (ST) – APNIC
  • Gerard Ross (GR) – APNIC
  • Raymond Plzak (RP) – ARIN
  • Richard Jimmerson (RJ) – ARIN
  • Raimundo Beca (RB) – ICANN
  • Olof Nording (ON) – ICANN
  • Leo Vegoda (LV) – IANA/ICANN
  • Ricardo Patara (RIP) – LACNIC
  • Filiz Yilmaz (FY) – RIPE NCC

Apologies:

  • Bart Boswinkel (BB)

Absent:

  • HJ Kwon (HJK)
  • Alan Barrett (APB)
  • Hans Petter Holen (HPH)

Draft agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Approval of the minutes of 3 January 2007
  4. Update on nominations received for ICANN Board
  5. Draft roadmap of ASO AC activities for 2007
  6. Any other business
  7. Adjournment
  1. Welcome

    The Chair called the meeting to order at 22:10 UTC, noting the presence of a quorum.

    He welcomed the new AC member, Ali Badiel (AB).

  2. Agenda Review

    The following issues were added to the AOB:

    • IPv4 exhaustion proposal in the APNIC region
  3. Approval of the minutes of 3 January 2007

    HG moved the following motion: “The ASO AC approves the Minutes of January 3, 2007 as written.” FO seconded the motion. There were no objections or comments.

  4. Update on nominations received for ICANN Board

    The Chair noted that the Nominations Committee for the 2007 ICANN Board candidate had been created and consisted of one volunteer from each of the five RIR regions.

    The Chair noted that some nominations had already been received, but there had been some problems setting up a mailing list for the Nominations Committee. However, as of two days previously, the mailing list was now functional.

    MH stated that the nominations process was the same as that used last year, with some minor additions to the process based on the previous year’s experience. MH stated that he would send an update on the nominations received to the Address Council by the end of the week.

    The Chair noted that nominations end February 21, 2007. This is then followed by a 60 day comment phase. It was confirmed that the Nominations Committee would have completed the audit checks by February 21.

    RP asked if the ASO Secretariat planned to send out a reminder that the call for nominations would close soon.

    The Chair suggested that two reminder calls would be appropriate.

    MH suggested that the call not be sent too late, or people would be disappointed, as happened during last year’s call. He suggested one reminder be sent ASAP, with a follow-up reminder a week later.

    Action#0702-01 (Secretariat):

    ASO Secretariat to send out two reminders about the closing date of the call for nominations for the ICANN Board candidate.

    [KH joined the call at 22:18 UTC]]

  5. Draft roadmap of ASO AC activities for 2007

    The Chair noted that he had sent a draft roadmap to the AC mailing list. In a follow-up email he had mentioned further discussing at this AC teleconference a proposal to hold ASO workshops at the 2007 ICANN meetings. The Chair proposed holding smaller workshops in the first two ICANN meetings of 2007, then holding a larger workshop in the third ICANN meeting of the year.

    The Chair suggested two areas for discussion: developing content for the workshops and working with the AC members representing the regions where the ICANN meetings will be held to organise the workshops.

    WW asked who the intended audience of the workshops would be, what the intended messages of the workshops would be, and who and how may of the AC members should attend the workshops.

    The Chair noted that there had been some preliminary discussion on these issues at the Sao Paolo meeting. The Chair stated that it would be a good idea to make the ASO’s activities more visible to the ICANN community and to help the community learn more about the ASO’s aims.

    The Chair explained that the intended audience would be ICANN At-Large participants.

    The Chair suggested that the ASO AC Chair and AC members from the region where the ICANN meeting was being held would probably attend the workshop, but that AC member participation would be voluntary.

    WW confirmed with the Chair that the aim of the workshops would be an outreach activity aimed at parts of the community the ASO is not already reaching.

    The Chair confirmed that it would not be necessary for AC members to attend the workshops. He explained that there were usually a couple of AC members at each ICANN meeting. The presence of at least two AC members at an ICANN meeting should provide enough human resources to conduct the workshop properly.

    The Chair noted that there were around 45 days remaining until the next ICANN meeting.

    WW suggested contacting the Lisbon ICANN conference organisers ASAP to reserve a slot for the ASO workshop.

    The Chair asked the opinion of the AC members on whether the workshop was a worthwhile activity. He noted that when the ASO AC normally meets during ICANN meetings, there is no exposure to the ICANN community.

    WW agreed that it would be useful to expose the AC’s activities to the community. WW expressed a concern, however, that the AC make it clear that people must go to regional policy fora to develop IP policy. WW asked that any workshops held must clearly make this point.

    [LL left the teleconference at 22:26 UTC]

    AA stated that he liked the idea of holding workshops. He suggested that workshops could explain to people how to participate in the PDP of each region. AA also suggested that the ASO needed to work as early as possible with ICANN so the workshop gets maximum exposure on the ICANN meeting agenda.

    The Chair suggested that the workshop should not discuss regional PDPs, but, instead, perhaps some topical addressing issues that the whole community should be aware of.

    AA explained that raising awareness of topical addressing issues already occurs in ASO presentations. He expressed concern that if too much time was spent discussing those issues in the workshops, people would want to use the workshop time to suggest policy developments. However, the appropriate place for discussing policy development would be the RIR policy fora.

    WW suggested using the mailing list to discuss the content for the workshops.

    WW moved the following motion: “The ASO AC to perform a roll call to evaluate if there is a majority of members supporting the proposal to hold an AC workshop at each of the ICANN meetings in 2007.” SG seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously carried by all present.

    The Chair noted unanimous support to hold the workshops. He asked for further discussion about the workshop content occur on the mailing list.

    ON suggested that someone contact Dianne Schroeder at ICANN to request a slot for the ASO workshop.

    Action#0702-02 (Secretariat):

    ASO Secretariat to contact ICANN Dianne Schroeder and/or Mike Evans at ICANN to organise an ASO AC workshop at the upcoming ICANN meeting.

  6. Any other business

    • IPv4 exhaustion proposal in the APNIC region

    ON was interested to learn if this proposal would eventually become global policy.

    TH explained that he was one of the co-authors of this proposal. He that the co-authors would be submitting the proposal to all five RIR regions.

    There was discussion whether the proposal could be considered global if it was submitted to all RIRs. RP disagreed that this would make the policy global. He gave the example of the four-byte ASN policy, which was adopted separately by all RIRs, but was not global policy. The Chair agreed with RP’s assessment.

    RP explained to TH that, if his co-authors wanted to discuss the proposal in the ARIN region, February 22, 2007 was the deadline for policy proposals to be discussed at the upcoming ARIN meeting.

    ON noted that he would keep ICANN management informed about any developments of the IPv4 exhaustion policy. RB noted that the open policy process used by the RIRs helped keep ICANN aware of developing policy issues via mailing list announcements and discussions.

    The Chair asked if there were any other business items.

    There was discussion about potential locations of the fourth ICANN meeting for 2007.

    SG requested that the Secretariat contact each RIR and request that a link to the call for nominations for ICANN Board candidates be placed on each RIR website.

    Action#0702-03 (Secretariat):

    ASO Secretariat to contact each RIR and request that a link to the call for nominations for ICANN Board candidates be placed on each RIR website.

  7. Adjournment

    The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 22:44 UTC. WW moved to adjourn. The motion was seconded and carried unanimously.

    Open action items

    Action#0702-01 (Secretariat):

    ASO Secretariat to send out two reminders about the closing date of the call for nominations for the ICANN Board candidate.

    Action#0702-02 (Secretariat):

    ASO Secretariat to contact ICANN Dianne Schroeder and/or Mike Evans at ICANN to organise an ASO AC workshop at the upcoming ICANN meeting.

    Action#0702-03 (Secretariat):

    ASO Secretariat to contact each RIR and request that a link to the call for nominations for ICANN Board candidates be placed on each RIR website.