AC Attendees:

Sebastian Bellagamba (SB), Chair
Sanford H. George (SG)
Martin Hannigan (MH)
Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Jean Robert Hountomey (JRH)
Kenny Huang (KH)
Louis Lee (LL)
Francisco Obispo (FO)
Hartmut Glaser (HG)
Dave Wilson (DW)

Secretariat:

Gerard Ross, Recording Secretary (APNIC)

Observers:

Alan Barrett (AB) – AfriNIC
Son Tran (ST) – APNIC
Einar Bohlin (EB) – ARIN
Raymond Plzak (RP) – ARIN
Raimundo Beca (RB) – ICANN
Olof Nording (ON)- ICANN
Ricardo Patara – LACNIC
Leo Vegoda (LV) – IANA/ICANN
Filiz Yilmaz (FY) – RIPE NCC

Apologies:

Toshiyuki Hosaka (TH)
HJ Kwon (HJK)

Absent:

Wilfried Woeber (WW)
Sylvia Geha Kezengwa (SK)

Draft Agenda:

  1. Welcome
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Welcome new council members
  4. Election of the Chair
  5. Approval of the minutes of 6 December 2006
  6. Selection of qualification review committee for ICANN Board candidate
  7. Review of ASO AC 2007 activities
  8. Any other business
  9. Adjournment

1) Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 22:10 UTC, noting the presence of a quorum.

2) Agenda Review

The following issues were added to the AOB:
– Recent IANA suggestions regarding historical address space.

3) Welcome new council members

The Chair welcomed the new AC members and the new Secretariat (APNIC). He thanked and commended ARIN for the excellent work they performed in 2006.

4) Election of the Chair

The Chair noted the only nomination for the position of Chair in 2007 was his own nomination. It was also noted that HPH has nominated to be Co-chair for 2007. The Chair called for any other nominations. There were none.

There were seven votes in favour of SB as Chair and two abstentions (SB and MH).

The Chair invited LL to serve as a Co-Chair.

[HPH re-joined the call at this point, after brief technical problems]

HPH and LL each accepted the responsibility of being Co-chairs in 2007.

5) Approval of the minutes of 6 December 2006

HG moved the following motion: “The ASO AC approves the Minutes of December 6, 2006 as written.” KH seconded the motion. There were no objections or comments.

6) Selection of qualification review committee for ICANN Board candidate

The Chair noted that five AC members have volunteered to form the committee, namely MH, KH, WW, FO, and JRH.

The call for nominations was made on 23 December 2006. There have been two nominations received to date.

HG suggested that one of the five committee members should be designated to be responsible for taking actions. There were other suggestions that the committee should take determine this for themselves.

HG moved that the five named people be appointed to the committee. LL seconded this motion. There were no objections

Action#0701-01 (Secretariat):
Secretariat to set up a mailing list for the qualification review committee and to forward all nominations to that list.

7) Review of ASO AC 2007 activities

The Chair noted that he will prepare a road map for activities, to be presented to the next meeting.

The Chair noted that the top priorities for 2007 will be to complete the Board selection process (by May) and to conduct a series of workshops regarding IP addressing polices.

The Chair noted the locations of the upcoming ICANN meetings.

HG suggested that the Chair could put together some draft ideas to be circulated before the next meeting, which could discussed online and then agreed upon as a road map for AC work in 2007.

Action#0701-02 (Chair):
Chair to draft and circulate to the AC a road map of activities for 2007.

8) Any other business

* Recent IANA suggestions regarding historical address space
HG asked if it was necessary for the AC to take any action on the current public discussions about IANA activities relating to historical address space.

SB noted that it is not yet sufficiently clear what the IANA intends to do and until there is greater understanding then it is not possible to form a position.

HG noted that there is a need to get the complete picture of what the IANA intends. RP summarised the discussion he had had with IANA, noting that the “grandfathered” space was not issued by IANA, but by the Internet Registry, and it is not clear that it is appropriate for IANA to develop a policy to deal with this address space. RP argued that this is more of an issue for the RIRs than it is for IANA. RP argued that the suggestions made recently would effectively create the IANA as a registry in competition with the RIRs and this would damage the RIR system.

HG again stressed that before any concrete action can be taken it is necessary to get more details from IANA about their intention. RP urged caution about forcing IANA into taking action which they are not yet ready to take. He suggested that the discussions for now should remain informal.

HPH proposed investigating a way of determining opinion within the communities and developing a bottom-up policy. RP argued that this should not be done yet as it may not be appropriate for this to be the subject of IANA policy. It was also noted that much of the space in question is held by the US government and so such actions may draw the US government into policy discussions, which may not be desirable.

RP noted that RIPE NCC had a policy discussion recently on related issues. LV clarified that about 2-3 years ago there was a suggestion that the RIPE NCC should produce a list of unallocated blocks. This resulted in the production of a file that is updated several times daily.

The Chair asked LV to remind David Conrad of the need to informally provide more detail about what IANA is proposing.

The Chair noted that IANA is not ICANN but rather is a function delegated to ICANN; there are sensitive political issues being raised and it is necessary to be careful in relation to the current discussions.

MH noted that these issues have not yet been brought before operators and others who would be affected. He noted that his impression of the operator community is that no one would support IANA’s involvement in operational issues and that there are significiant concerns about openness and transparency.

HPH noted that in each RIR there are well defined communities and decision-making procedures. He suggested that IANA is picking up on the traditions of Internet by joining in discussion on the mailing lists, but that there is a need for IANA to develop a better idea of what its community is and how it should take part in public discussions. RP agreed, noting that this particular issue came up in response to a single suggestion on the NANOG mailing list.

MH suggested that this is more an issue for the NRO. RP noted that the NRO EC would take this matter on and report back to the AC.

MH moved that the NRO should take on the motion and provide updates to the AC as appropriate. He suggested this should not be a matter for the AC to actively pursue.

The Chair noted he will email the NRO Chair to request the action suggested.

Action#0701-03 (Chair):
The Chair to email the NRO EC Chair to request updates on the IANA discussion.

9) Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 23:05 UTC. HG moved to adjourn. The motion was seconded and carried unanimously.

Open action items
———————
Action#0701-01 (Secretariat):
Secretariat to set up a mailing list for the qualification review committee and to forward all nominations to that list.

Action#0701-02 (Chair):
Chair to draft and circulate to the AC a road map of activities for 2007.

Action#0701-03 (Chair):
The Chair to email the NRO EC Chair to request updates on the IANA discussion.