AC Attendees:

  • Louis Lee (LL), Chair – ARIN
  • Jean Robert Hountomey (JRH) – AfriNIC
  • Vincent Ngundi (VN) – AfriNIC
  • Alan Barret (AB) – AfriNIC
  • Kenny S. Huang (KH) – APNIC
  • Tomohiro FUJISAKI (TF) – APNIC
  • Jason Schiller (JS) – ARIN
  • Hartmut Glaser (HG) – LACNIC
  • Hans Petter Holen (HPH) – RIPE
  • Wilfried Woeber (WW) – RIPE

Secretariat:

  • Ernest M. Byaruhanga (EMB ), Recording Secretary – AfriNIC

Observers:

  • Adiel Akplogan (AA), AfriNIC
  • Kiran Cunniah (KC), AfriNIC
  • Lillian Sharpley (LS), AfriNIC
  • Caroline Koa Wing (CKW), AfriNIC
  • German Valdez (GV), APNIC
  • Richard Jimmerson (RJ), ARIN
  • Nate Davis (ND), ARIN
  • Leslie Nobile (LN), ARIN
  • Einar Bohlin (EB), ARIN
  • Ricardo Patara (RP), LACNIC
  • Axel Pawlik (AP), RIPE
  • Olof Nordling (ON), ICANN
  • Leo Vegoda (LV), ICANN
  • Raimundo Beca (RB), ICANN

Absent:

  • Hyun-Joon Kwon (HJK)
  • Martin Hannigan (MH)
  • Sebastian Bellagamba (SB)
  • Francisco Obispo (FO)
  • Dave Wilson (DW)

Draft Agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Agenda review
  3. Approval of the minutes for the 3 Jul 2008 TC
  4. Review of Open Action Items
  5. Update to the ASO AC Operating Procedures
  6. ASO website review
  7. Global Policy Proposal for Autonomous System Numbers
  8. Global Policy Proposal for Remaining IPv4 Address Space
  9. ASO AC Appointments to the ICANN 2009 Nominating Committee
  10. AOB
  11. Adjournment
  1. Welcome.

    The Chair called the meeting to order at 1300 UTC and welcomed all participants. He asked the Secretariat to proceed with a roll call to determine the presence of quorum.

    Noting that there was no quorum because of the absence of all LACNIC AC members, the Chair extended the start of the meeting to 1320 UTC.

    [HG joined the meeting at 1321 UTC.]

    Quorum was later noted, with 10 AC members present and at least one representative from each region and the meeting started at 1325 UTC.

  2. Agenda review.

    The Chair went through the agenda proposed for the day and asked for any comments to be added. Having none, he proceeded to the next item.

  3. Approval of the minutes from the 12 Jun 2008 TC

    The Chair called for a motion to approve the July 3 2008 minutes as published by the Secretariat. He said that no comments were received on the list.

    HG moved the motion to approve the minutes of the July 3 TC. KH seconded. There was no objection.

    The Chair declared the minutes approved and an action item on the secretariat to modify the minutes from “DRAFT” status.

  4. Action: 0808-01
    Secretariat to change the status of the minutes of the 3th July 2008 meeting from “DRAFT”.

  5. Review of Open Action Items

    The Chair stated that the open action item #0807-01 was completed, and proceded to the next agenda item.

  6. Update to the ASO AC Operating Procedures

    The following sub-topics were discussed:

    a. Status- Duties of the Chair and Vice Chairs:

    The Chair said that there was no new update and suggested removing this sub-topic until there is an update to provide, and asked if there is any objection to his idea.

    JS said that if removed, it may be difficult to track. The Chair said he would track it on his own, and added that if the AC prefer that this sub-topic stays on the agenda for ease of tracking, it would be fine with him.

    JS said he may lose track of it, so prefers it to stay on the agenda. The Chair agreed that this item stays on the agenda, and said he would provide an update to the AC where appropriate.

    b. Annex A: Letter – GPP Notification to SO Chairs (Section 6.5) and Annex C: Letter of Transmittal – GPP for ICANN ratification (Section 6.6.1.1):

    The Chair said that he will change the title of the letter which could be misleading. He stated that both letters have reached the NRO EC and would be discussed during the EC next meeting.

    The Chair sought confirmation from AA. AA stated that an NRO EC meeting is due for the following week and feedback will be communicated accordingly.

    c. Annex B: Report – Review of GPP sent from from NRO EC (Section 6.6.1):

    The Chair suggested that the policy proposal team come up with a template as generic as possible for the review of the Global Policy Proposal. He said he would see with the team leader, FO who is not in this meeting, to get this done.

    d. New procedure – Appoint a representative to ICANN NomCom:

    Apart from one correction to be made for the word “serve” in the procedure in place of service and the formatting of the document, the Chair asked if there were any objections.

    There being none, the Chair moved the motion for approval to send to the EC as :

    “The ASO AC approves the procedure for the selection of the AC Representative to the ICANN Nominating Committee as proposed by the Chair on the mailing list, allowing for corrections and formatting, and directs the Chair to seek approval from the NRO EC for adoption into the AC Operating Procedure.”

    HG moved the suggested motion and JS seconded. The secretariat proceeded to a roll call. All members voted in favor.

    Action: #0808-02
    The Chair to seek approval from the NRO EC for adoption of the procedure to select the AC Representative to the ICANN Nominating Committee into the AC Operating Procedure.

    JS suggested that once approved by the EC, the Secretariat would update the operating procedures document and post it on the website. JS proposed the motion and WW seconded.

    Action: #0808-03
    The secretariat to post the procedure for the selection of the AC Representative to the ICANN Nominating Committee on the website after approval is received from the NRO EC.

  7. ASO website review.

    The Chair stated that the URL was sent for the document store and is online for review and asked for comments on what has been presented.

    JS stated that he was happy that a lot of information is now available online and suggested that the minutes also be added to the URL in addition to the draft documents that are still under discussion in order to make this page a one-stop shop for information

    The Chair requested to have part of the site accessible by the AC only and asked what the systematic difference is between the menus on the left and the tabs on the document store.

    EMB replied that there is no direct relationship, other than the fact that this documents page will be accessed from the Documents and Archives link on the right. JS asked if the documents and archives menu on the left will remain as is but pointing to the new page. EMB replied, yes.

    JS also asked if there was a problem to add the meeting minutes to this page and use the current meetings link for the schedule of meetings instead of using it for the minutes. It was indicated that approval is needed from the NRO EC to make such changes on the website. JS suggested that refinements not be made to the documents area until after sending it to EC for approval.

    It was also suggested to add a private area for the EC. HPH suggested getting all of the documentation on the web and ensure it is up-to-date before submitting change requests to the EC.

    AB expressed concern with Javascript, as to whether one can have an option to disable or not support javascript without affecting the full functionality of the page.

    EB responded that he will check with the webmaster to see if it is possible.

    JS extended his thanks for the work done on the URL.

  8. Action: #0808-04
    The secretariat to ensure the following regarding the proposed documents page:
    – add tabs for minutes and draft documents.
    – ensure compatibility with non javascript browsers.

  9. Global Policy Proposal for Autonomous System Numbers

  10. The Chair asked for an update on the Global Policy Proposal for ASNs and ON indicated that it was ratified by the ICANN Board and adopted as a Global Policy but is not yet implemented. ON also stated that this is more of an IANA matter. He asked for LV’s comments.

    LV stated that it is ready for implementation and that the announcement text has been prepared and that there should not be any issues with the implementation.

    The Chair thanked the PPFT for their work in this GPP and welcomed any suggestions for addressing any problems that arose or to streamline the process better. He also thanked ON for his work in organizing the information into a digestible format for the ICANN Board and community.

  11. Global Policy Proposal for Remaining IPv4 Address Space

  12. The Chair stated that this agenda topic is primarily for tracking active global policy proposals and asked for an update on the current progress in each region.

    ON stated that the recent update on ICANN site was that ARIN, LACNIC and AfriNIC were moving close to adoption, but that he was unclear how far RIPE NCC and APNIC had gone.

    KH said it was discussed at the previous APNIC meeting and will be discussed again at their next RIR meeting in Christchurch this month and that hopefully it will result in concensus.

    HPH added that in the RIPE region, it will be discussed at their next meeting in Dubai, but added there is still resistance from multinational ISPs towards the proposal. LV said the proposal is in last call period until 19 August in the RIPE region. HPH said it might be a long process because of lack of participation and interest in the region, but that they will send a reminder out to for people to comment for or against it.

    JS asked whether in the RIPE region, is it normal for a policy to be in last call for such a long period. HPH said it may have been extended over the summer holidays, since many people are away. JS therefore asked HPH to confirm that such an occurrence is not uncommon in the RIPE region. HPH said yes.

    There was mention that the proposal on the RIPE NCC website still shows “open for discussion” and not “last call”. LV added that when RIPE PDP was developed, it was agreed to leave the proposal’s status as “open for discussion” till a final decision has been made. HPH added that from the look of things, its better not to be very hopeful of a positive result from the RIPE region. JS asked how many /8s are left, and LV said it is currently 39.

  13. ASO AC Appointments to the ICANN 2009 Nominating Committee

  14. The Chair stated that at this point, there is only one nomination for HG with many AC members supporting this nomination. He asked if anyone else would like to be considered, but there was no offer.

    The Chair then declared the nominating period closed, and moved a motion to conduct a vote towards the support of HG’s nomination. JS seconded. There were no objections.

    EMB took roll call for the AC to approve to select HG for the Nominating Committee and 9 out of 10 voted in favor.

    HG said that his name was not spelled correctly, and that a “t” was missing from his first name. He also added that the noncom suggests that if possible, every constituency appoint a candidate twice to avoid a long learning process, but added that the AC needs to be prepared next time to appoint someone else, as this will be his last term.

    The Chair said he would forward HG’s name to the nomcom, with the correct spelling as suggested by HG.

  15. AOB

  16. The Chair asked for any other business, but there was none.

  17. Adjournment

  18. The Chair called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. AB moved the motion and HG seconded. There were no objections. The meeting adjourned at 1425UTC

Open Action items

Action: 0808-01
Secretariat to change the status of the minutes of the 3th July 2008 meeting from “DRAFT”.

Action: #0808-02
The Chair to seek approval from the NRO EC for adoption of the procedure to select the AC Representative to the ICANN Nominating Committee into the AC Operating Procedure.

Action: #0808-03
The secretariat to post the procedure for the selection of the AC Representative to the ICANN Nominating Committee on the website after approval received from the NRO EC.

Action: #0808-04
The secretariat to ensure the following regarding the proposed documents page:
– add tabs for minutes and draft documents.
– ensure compatibility with non javascript browsers.

Action: 0808-05
Chair to inform the ICANN 2009 Nominating Committee about HG’s appointment.