ASO AC Attendees:

AfriNIC

Alan Barrett, AB, Vice Chair
Jean Robert Hountomey, JRH

APNIC

Tomohiro Fujisaki, TF
Andy Linton, AL

ARIN

Ron da Silva, RdS
Louie Lee, The Chair, Chair

LACNIC

Francisco Obispo, FO

RIPE NCC

Hans Petter Holen, HPH
Dave Wilson – DW

Secretariat:

Einar Bohlin, EB (ARIN)

Observers:

ARIN

Nate Davis, ND

ICANN

Leo Vegoda

Apologies:

Naresh Ajwani, Fiona Asonga, Jason Schiller, Sebastián Bellagamba, Wilfried Woeber

Absent:

Hartmut Glaser

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 12:18 p.m. EDT (16:18 UTC). The presence of quorum was noted.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair requested RIR updates during Any Other Business.

3. Approval of the Minutes

It was moved by RdS, and seconded by DW, that:

“The ASO AC approves the Minutes of April 7, 2011, as written.”

The motion carried with no objections.

NEW ACTION 0512-01: Secretariat to remove ‘Draft” from April 7, 2011 ASO AC Minutes.

4. Open Action Item Review

0622-02: ASO AC WiKi.  WW to work with PR and the RIPE NCC on the Wiki. If WW needs more help, he can turn to the Communications Committee. The Chair asked WW to post an update to the list. OPEN.

0315-02: Secretariat: Establish a table on the website listing global proposals and work on naming schemes. Done. CLOSED.

0407-01: Secretariat: Remove “Draft” from March Minutes. Done. CLOSED.

0407-02:  Updates to Website on Global Proposals Table. The Chair requested any comments to be sent via e-mail to the Secretariat so that updates to the table on the website can be implemented. The Chair noted that this was mostly complete, but decided to keep this open at this time in case there were additional comments. OPEN.

5. Status of GPP-IPv4-2010: Global Policy For IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion

PPFT: DW, AB, FO, RdS

The Chair asked if there have been any updates. There have been no updates to this GPP.

JRH joined the call at this time (12:24 p.m.)

6. Status of GPP-IPv4-2011: Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by the IANA

PPFT: JS, FO, HPH, TF, FA

TF reported that this has been recently endorsed by the APNIC Executive Committee. HPH and DW reported that this was at the recent RIPE meeting, but there was very little discussion. LV recalled that all that was given at the RIPE meeting was a status update. The Chair noted, and EB confirmed, that it was not at the recent ARIN meeting, but it was on the ARIN PPML; and, it will be on the October ARIN Meeting agenda. FO reported that it would be discussed at the upcoming LACNIC meeting also.

The Chair asked if AL wanted to discuss a recent post to the list. AL noted that the GPP was speed tracked through APNIC, since APNIC is out of IPv4 address space. AL stated that what is needed is agreement on the core idea. The Chair reminded the group that the ASO AC does not have a role in creating policy, however individuals can work on policy. He noted that AL’s post to the list was very recent and asked members to read his post and provide feedback. AL reiterated that he desires to facilitate discussion amongst the RIRs, noting that this is an urgent issue.

7. ICANN Review Teams: Related Activities Update

  1. SSR RT Update. The Chair asked for an update to be sent to the list.
  2. WHOIS RT Update. The Chair asked for an update to be sent to the list.

8. Status of 2011 ICANN NomCom

The Chair asked for an update to be sent to the list

9. Status of ASO Review

ND noted that the NRO EC agreed to complete and close this item as soon as possible.

10. Procedure for Selection of Individuals to the ICANN Board of Directors

The Chair noted that ND had sent text to the list and that some ASO AC members have provided feedback. ND agreed to revise the text and send it back to their list. The Chair asked the ASO AC to review the revised text.

11. ASO AC Workshop in Singapore

  • ASO AC Volunteers: The Chair, HPH, AL, AB, and FO agreed to participate remotely if that is possible.
  • Workshop Schedule. The Chair stated that ICANN had acknowledged the request for the Workshop. He further noted that the request included there be no conflict with ICANN Board/GAC meetings so that ICANN Board/GAC members may attend the workshop. He spoke about requesting time to meet with the ICANN Board. The Chair then asked if there are agenda items for such a meeting. He stated he would post a call for agenda items to their mailing list. He will work with the Secretariat for regional portions of the RIR workshop. ND noted that Susan Hamlin would be on site in Singapore to provide Secretariat support. The Chair asked ARIN to thank Susan in advance for her support. He noted that the Workshop is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon and requested that people arrive early to work together and coordinate presentations for the Workshop.

12. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business and requested an RIR meeting update.

  • RIPE 62. DW reported on the recent RIPE Meeting in Amsterdam. The newest global proposal has been introduced and is under discussion. There was more than a day’s worth of time given to IPv6. There was a proposal to remove the multi-homing requirement for PI. There was discussion about removing the distinction between PI and PA, it is not a proposal yet, but one may appear. The last /8 proposal just ended in Last Call. The RIPE NCC is successfully assigning 4-byte ASNs.
  • Open vs Closed Meetings. The Chair stated that he was asked if the ASO AC should possibly open their meetings to the public; noting that the meetings used to be open. He asked the members if there was a good reason to keep the meetings closed. HPH stated that in the beginning, the meetings were open and there was a public and an announcement list. He noted that there was not much discussion on the public list. The teleconferences used to be recorded. It was determined that as long as the meetings had minutes being taken, and those minutes were published, that the meetings did not have to be open. Some people did not like to be on calls when they did not know who was on the line. He noted that there are tactical problems with having an open meeting.The Chair noted that the ICANN Board had open meetings, but they ended up being practically scripted in advance. The Chair also noted that the ASO AC minutes are detailed and published. He stated that the last ASO AC meeting in San Francisco was indicated on the agenda as closed. HPH suggested holding open meetings at ICANN meetings. DW noted that, in general, when meetings are open that the real discussion tends to move somewhere else.HPH suggested adding an informal discussion of the global proposals to the agenda in Singapore.The Chair stated that the Accountability & Transparency Review Team (ATRT) meetings started as closed meetings, then they opened but do allow members to close the meeting at times. Opening the meeting could impact the Secretariat’s ability to facilitate the teleconferences. The Chair said that there has not been a request to open the calls. The Chair said he would further consider the issue.

13. Adjournment

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 1:03 p.m. EDT. HPH moved to adjourn, and this was seconded by DW. The meeting was adjourned with no objections.