ASO AC Attendees:

AfriNIC

Fiona Asonga, FA
Alan Barrett, AB, Vice Chair

APNIC

Naresh Ajwani, NA, Vice Chair
Tomohiro Fujisaki, TF
Andy Linton, AL

ARIN

Ron da Silva, RdS
Louie Lee, LL, Chair
Jason Schiller, JS

LACNIC

Sebastián Bellagamba, SB
Hartmut Glaser, HG
Francisco Obispo, FO

RIPE NCC

Hans Petter Holen, HPH
Wilfried Woeber, WW

Secretariat:

Therese Colosi, ARIN

Observers:

APNIC

Adam Gosling, AG
German Valdez, GV

ARIN

Einar Bohlin, EB
Nate Davis, ND
Susan Hamlin, SH
Leslie Nobile, LN

LACNIC

Raul Echeberriá, RE

ICANN

Ray Plzak, RP
Leo Vegoda, LV

Guests

Tom McKenzie, ITEMS International
Herve Rannou, ITEMS International
Raimundo Beca, RB

Regrets:

Dave Wilson, Jean Robert Hountomey

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 11:08 a.m. EST. The presence of quorum was noted. The Chair welcomed the guests from ITEMS International, who conducted the ASO review.

2. Agenda Review

The Chair reviewed the agenda. He stated there would be plenty of time allotted for the ASO Review and Q&A.

3. Approval of the Minutes

It was moved by RdS, and seconded by SB, that:

“The ASO AC approves the Minutes of October 6, 2011, as written.”

The Chair called for discussion. There were no comments.

The motion carried with no objections.

New Action Item: 1110-01: SECRETARIAT. Remove ‘Draft’ from the October 6, 2011 minutes on the ASO AC Website.

4. Open Action Item Review.

0622-02 (2010): WW. ASO AC Wiki.  WW to work with P. Rendek, and the RIPE NCC, on the Wiki. The Chair stated that if WW needed more help, he could turn to the Communications Committee. OPEN.

The Chair stated he had discussed this item with WW last week, and agreed to close this action item and create a work item for the 2012 ASO AC Work Plan, barring major objection from the AC.

Hearing no objections. The Chair stated this item as Closed.

1006-01: SECRETARIAT.  Remove ‘Draft’ from September 8, 2011 ASO AC Minutes. OPEN.

The Chair stated this item had been completed. The item as Closed.

1006-03: CHAIR. Send message to decline the invitation to meet with the SSR RT at the ICANN Dakar meeting, noting that ASO AC members can freely attend the SSR RT public session. OPEN.

The Chair stated this item had been completed. The item as Closed.

The Chair asked if there was any input for the SSRT from the members who were in Dakar. There were no comments.

5. ASO Review

The Chair stated that the contracted reviewers from ITEMS would be presenting a draft of the ASO Review to the AC. He noted that this draft of the review had been sent to the ASO AC list. The ITEMS contractors went through the presentation regarding significant portions of the review draft.

After the presentation, it was requested that the ASO to provide feedback to ITEMS, as the final draft deadline is December 9, 2011.

The Chair requested that since this was the first draft, the ASO AC review the near-final draft to provide feedback, before submission of the final draft. He acknowledged that this request might push the December 9th deadline out further, or prompt ITEMS to finish the draft earlier to accommodate the request. Tom McKenzie, of the ITEMS team, stated that the 9th of December was chosen because the ITEMS team needs to attend the AfriNIC 15 meeting, and that meeting ends on 25 November. They are contracted to attend 1 meeting of each RIR to conduct their review. They stated they would consider the Chair’s request and try to accommodate it.

The Chair further suggested that the ASO AC set their date to provide feedback to ITEMS for either 02 December (the day after the next ASO AC teleconference) or 05 December. Tom McKenzie, suggested the team provide the next draft for the final report to the ASO AC by 01 December, keeping the final draft deadline of 09 December. It was the sense of the AC that this would work. The Chair thanked him.

AL asked if they anticipated major changes to the review after the AfriNIC, as those changes would need to be incorporated. The Chair acknowledged his concern. Tom confirmed ITEMS would work toward the 01 December date. He considered it unlikely that the feedback from people at the AfriNIC meeting would radically change the presentation, but did anticipate some revisions to the draft review, based on their comments.

The Chair noted that the missing description of the roles of Chair and Vice Chair in the procedures is being worked on with the Secretariat for approval and adoption.

Chair stated, with regard to ASO outreach to the SOs and AC’s, that it is not possible to present to them every time. The last time was the first attempt to involve them; and, it may be that the ASO AC doesn’t reach all of them each time. Tom McKenzie agreed with the Chair.

The Chair thanked the ITEMS team for the presentation. The ITEMS guests left at this time (12:44 p.m. EST).

6. Selection of Individuals to the ICANN Board of Directors.

Action Item: 1006-02: CHAIR. Send the documents to the EC for approval. OPEN.

The Chair stated that since the ASO AC did not make changes to version that was forwarded as the final draft to the NRO EC, he had forwarded a note to the NRO EC letting them know that the Council adopted the same version that was sent to the EC for tentative approval.

The ASO AC had already received this approval from 4 of the 5 EC members. Section 7 of the AC Operating Procedures has been updated and can be found at:
https://aso.icann.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/aso-ac-operational-procedures.pdf

Qualification Review Committee (QRC). Committee Members are AB, SB, TF, HPH, RdS. The Chair asked if the Committee wanted to elect a Chair. They responded that they did not. The Chair asked how many nominees they had so far. HPH stated there were three, and questionnaires have been sent.

JS noted he did not see the question regarding in what service region a candidate resided, and asked if it was needed. SH replied that the Secretariat will be providing that information as part of the report to the QRC. JS thanked her.

7. Any Other Business.

The Chair called for any other business. There were no comments. The Chair reminded the ASO AC to provide email updates on Global Policy Proposals and items not discussed on this call, which were sent to their list. He reminded the PPFT members to begin work on the policies adopted, stating that the NRO will provide their report in the beginning of 2012.

8. Adjournment.

The Chair entertained a motion to adjourn at 12:56 p.m. EST. WW moved to adjourn, seconded by SB. The meeting adjourned with no objections.