Present:

Mouhamed Diop (MD) 
Ray Plzak (RP) 
Richard Jimmerson (RJ) 
Mirjam Kuehne (MK) 
Sabine Jaume (SJ) 
Barbara Rosemann (BR)
Erik Decker (ED) 
John Crain (JC)
Hartmut Glaser (HG) 
Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Jianping Wu (JPW)
Cathy Wittbrodt (CWJ)
German Valdez (GV)
Takashi Arano (TA)
Raimundo Beca (RB) 
Anne Lord (AL)
Seung Minh Lee (SML)

Agenda:
1. Welcome
2. Apologies received 
3. Agenda Bashing
4. Minutes from November AC telephone conference
5. Status of open actions
6. ICANN IDN Committee
7. AC Physical meeting
8. AOB

1.Welcome

HPH opens the call at 22:05

Everybody introduces themselves to the new AC members

2. Apologies received from Louis Touton, Jorge Plano, Wilfried Woeber 

3. Agenda Bashing

suggested new agenda items:

8. Report from the LACNIC (HG)
9. News from the ASO Secretariat, suggested as standard agenda item (MK)
10. ICANN at-large report (SJ)
11. Thanks to the leaving AC members (HPH)

4. Minutes from November AC telephone conference

AC approves the November minutes (including additions sent to the ASO
secretariat)

ACTION 0112-01 on SEC to publish the final minutes on the ASO web site

RP reminds everybody that the call is recorded

Suggestion to formally approve that the call is recorded: all AC
members vote for it, no objections

5. Status of open actions

ASO secretariat reads out the list of open actions

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to
     the AC
- OPEN

MK reports that the RIRs received comments from the IANA a while
ago. In the meantime the RIRs discussed them and will get together
during the IETF next week to draft a reply to the IANA

0111-01 SEC: find new teleconf bridge with some recording facilities
to make available on the Internet
- CLOSED

ARIN offered to use their telephone bridge, including recording
facilities

0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for
       2001/2002 (long-term action)
- ONGOING

0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks
- OPEN (to be continued in January 2002)

0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN
       board. Send it to the AC for review. Then Vint can decide if he
       thinks this would be useful to show to the Board
- OPEN 
tabled until 2002. ASO secretariat has sent pointer to RIR IPv4
utilisation statistics to the ICANN board in the meantime.

0107-11 AC devise procedure for ICANN Board member selection in a 
        subcommittee (1. collect ideas and proposals, 2. write draft,
        3. adapt results in a face to face meeting)
- OPEN

0111-02 SEC: send mail that was sent to ripe-list also to 
        the AC list
- OPEN

0111-03 SEC: send mail to ac-list to discuss the details of
        ASO GA March 2002 meeting 
- OPEN
later on the agenda

0109-5 AC: to continue discussion about physical AC meeting
       on the mailing list
- ONGOING
later on the agenda 

0109-3 CJW: to discuss additional text suggested by WW and incorporate
       it in the proposed 'Process for AC chair nomination and
       election'
- DONE
this procedure can be used from now on.

6. ICANN IDN Committee

HPH gives a short status report: HPH suggested to nominate RP, MD
also volunteered. There was some discussion on the AC list, the feeling 
so far was that MD is a good choice. 
HPH asks for any additional comments

CWJ wonders if both candidates are still willing to be nominated
RP confirms that he is still willing. 
ED asks how many candidates are possible to be nominated
MK believes one candidate is needed
HPH explains that it is even more vague than that. ICANN is going to 
select the members for the committee. Theoreticaly the ASO could propose
more than one.
ED suggests to propose both candidates as they combine a great set 
of skills.
JC mentions that ICANN would ideally like to get one candidate, so that 
they do not have to choose.
ED still believes there are benefits in both, each of them would be a 
good addition to the IDN comittee. Leave it to ICANN to chose the person
with the expertise that is needed or missing at the committee.  

HPH thinks this is a sensible idea.

The AC concluded to have the name of both candidates submitted to
ICANN.

MD stresses what he wrote to the ac-coord mailing list. He does 
not have the experience with DNS that RP brings with him. However,
he is concerned with the process.

HPH wonders how this concern could be expressed.

RP suggests to MD to write this in an e-mail.

ACTION 0112-02 on MD: to send his concerns and motivations regarding the IDN
       to the ac-coord list.

ACTION 0112-03 on HPH: to draft a mail to ICANN and send it to the AC

7. AC Physical meeting

HPH suggests to have a physical AC meeting in conjunction with the ASO
General Assembly. What other possibilities are there?

The next ICANN meeting will be in Accra, Ghana. The one after that
will be in eastern Europe, not sure yet, exactly where.

Most AC people would rather have all meetings combined. That means the
best option would be to have the meeting in bangkok in conjunction
with APRICOT and the ASO GA.  

Discussion if it would be better to have the physical AC meeting
before or after the GA. The ICANN meeting is right after the APRICOT
and the ASO GA meetings, some people need to go to the ICANN
meeting. On the other hand it has advantage to have a physical meeting
after the ASO GA: the ICANN board candidates will have introduced
themselves. But then again, the AC will not select an ICANN board member 
there and then. 

Maybe have a workshop before the ASO GA together with RIR and ICANN
staff, and a pure AC meeting after?
Concluded to discuss the ASO GA agenda and physical AC meeting at the
next AC phone conference on 9 January 2002.

ACTION 0112-04 on SEC: prepare another meeting schedule for 2002 and
send it to the ac-coord mailing list.

8. LACNIC report

HG reports from the LACNIC meeting that took place in 28 November 2001
in Sao Paulo.

attendees from 16 countries were present, 55 emerging clients, 5 guests
(Andrew McLaughlin, John Crain, Axel Pawlik, Ray Plzak, Andrea Caro).
The agend was as follows:
a. IPv6 Tutorial
b. Official Opening
c. ICANN Report
d. ASO Report
e. LACNIC structure
f. RIR Reports
g. LACNIC Policies

The meeting went very well. HG thanks the RIRs for their support.
GV notes that LACNIC has submitted a formal application to ICANN.
RP adds that there are currently LACNIC trainees at the ARIN offices.
So far 13 IP address requests and 10 AS number requests from the LACNIC
region have been handled.

MD reports from progress made at AfriNIC: the web site has been
completely re-structured and updated. There will be an AfriNIC board
meeting in January.

HPH wishes AfriNIC good success.

9. Report from the ASO Secretariat

The call for nominations for an ICANN board member (Rob Blokzijls term
will end in October 2002) is sent out (90 days before the ASO GA) and
will be published on the ICANN web site tonight.

The ASO Secretariat will be transferred from the RIPE NCC to ARIn at
the end of the year.

10. ICANN AT-Large Committee

SJ reports from the at large committee: The committee delivered a
report, ICANN accepted the report. Should the AC have an opinion on
it?

HPH mentions that the RIPE LIR WG decided not to have an opinion on
this. This is the input he received.

HG suggests to wait for further discussion within ICANN

BR agrees. However, this could move very quickly. The meeting in Accra
might not be attended very well, decisions there might be heavy
handed. The AC needs to be prepared.

ACTION 0112-05 on SJ: to follow discussion and report back to the AC

MD believes one should be careful to make the ICANN structure not too
complicated

BR believes the AC should also think about if one wants to discuss
this with other groups like the PSO and DNSO

HPH encourages the AC members to also bring this back to he community
in order to hear what they think about this.

BR reports that at APNIC meeting in Taipei she got the impression that
the constituency wants the most minimal role possible for the ASO in
RIR policy. If we want to continue to play a role within the address
community, we need to be more proactive and not just ask the
community for input. The AC needs to be clear about what they want.

11. Thanks

HPH would like to formally thank the leaving AC members in the name of
the entire AC.  He also thanks the ASO SEC at the RIPE NCC, specially
MK.

12.  AOB

HG wonders if the AC should be involved in the budget process for ICANN.

RP points out that the RIRs are on the budget committee.

HPH says that he received a letter from ICANN, mentioning that the
RIRs are on the budget committee, but that the AC is also welcome to
comment (until 10 January 2002). However, maybe it would be better to
do this to through the RIRs.

RP: suggests to do it via the RIRs since they are also the ones who
will financially suport ICANN.

AC agrees.

ACTION 0112-06 on HPH to forward the e-mail Stuart Lynn sent regarding the 
       ICANN budget to the AC.

The meeting adjourns at 23:15.   

ACTIONS CLOSED
--------------

0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities

0111-01 SEC: find new teleconf bridge with some recording facilities
        to make available on the Internet

0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next ASO
       GA will take place

0107-2 BR to organise the formation of a committee (all three RIRs plus 
       1 AC member per region) to co-ordinate the documentation of
       global policy

0107-3 HPH to draft message of intent describing the timeframe and
       further process for regional discussions regarding the
       documentation of global policy

0107-7 ALL: answer to LACNIC by 20th of July regarding meeting time
       preferences

0109-1 SEC: to publish final version of July minutes

0109-2 RIRs: to announce RIR stats to ICANN and other appropriate 
       lists

0109-3 CJW: to discuss additional text suggested by WW and incorporate
       it in the proposed 'Process for AC chair nomination and
       election'

0109-4 HPH: to send a message to ac-coord with list of global policy
       and/or procedure documents that need to be written, including
       deadlines (in co-ordination with the RIRs).

0111-05 SEC: moderate list, double check why spam is sent to
        the list

NEW ACTIONS
-----------

0112-01 SEC: to publish the final November minutes on the ASO web site

0112-02 MD: to send his concerns and motivations regarding IDN
        to the ac-coord list

0112-03 HPH: to draft a mail regarding the chosen candidate for the IDN
        committee to ICANN and send it to the AC before

0112-04 SEC: prepare another meeting schedule for 2002 and
        send it to the ac-coord mailing list.

0112-05 SJ: to follow discussion regarding the ICAN At-Large Committe
 and report back to the AC

0112-06 HPH: to forward the e-mail Stuart Lynn sent regarding the 
        ICANN budget to the AC.

COMPLETE list of OPEN ACTIONS
-----------------------------

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to
     the AC

0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for
       2001/2002 (long-term action)

0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks

0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN
       board. Send it to the AC for review. Vint can then decide if he
       thinks this would be useful to show to the Board (on hold until
       ICANN is concerned with other issues than DNS security; Q1/2002)

0107-11 AC devise procedure for ICANN Board member selection in a 
        subcommittee (1. collect ideas and proposals, 2. write draft,
        3. adapt results in a face to face meeting)

0111-02 SEC: send RIPE-40 summary mail that was sent to ripe-list 
        also to the AC list

0111-03 SEC: send mail to ac-list to discuss the details of
        ASO GA March 2002 meeting 

0109-5 AC: to continue discussion about physical AC meeting
       on the ac-coord mailing list

0111-04 SEC: send pointers to IPv4 utilisation statistics to AC

0112-01 SEC: to publish the final November minutes on the ASO web site

0112-02 SEC: to publish 'Process for AC chair nomination and
        election' on ASO web site

0112-03 MD: to send his concerns and motivations regarding IDN
        to the ac-coord list

0112-04 HPH: to draft a mail regarding the chosen candidate for the IDN
        committee to ICANN and send it to the AC before

0112-05 SEC: prepare another meeting schedule for 2002 and
        send it to the ac-coord mailing list

0112-06 SJ: to follow discussion regarding the ICAN At-Large Committe
        and report back to the AC

0112-07 HPH: to forward the e-mail Stuart Lynn sent regarding the 
        ICANN budget to the AC.