Draft Minutes AC Conf Call 010711

Apologies: Cathy (VAC), Mirjam (VAC), Sabine (VAC)

Present:

Takashi Arano (TA)
Seung Min Lee (SML)
Raimundo Beca (RB)
Barbara Roseman (BR)
Hans Petter Holen (HPH)
Wilfried Woeber (WW)
German Valdez (GV)
Hartmut Richard Glaser (HRG)
Axel Pawlik (AP)/ (Minutes)
Sabine Mader (SAM)/ (Minutes)
Ray  Plzak (RP)
Paul Wilson (PW)
Louis Tuton (LT)
Andrew McLaughlin (AML)

1. Welcome
2. Apologies received
3. Agenda bashing
4. Minutes from June 6th meeting
5. Status of open actions
6. Revising RFC 2050
7. ASO involvement in the whois survey

http://www.icann.org/dnso/whois-survey-en-10jun01.htm
8. Chair election process
9. AC attendance at upcoming meetings

http://www.icann.org/calendar.htm
http://www.aso.icann.org/meetings/calendar.html

--Aug 5-8 London IETF
--Aug 28-31 Taipei APNIC
--Sep 6-10 Uruguay, ICANN
--Oct 1-5 Prague, RIPE
--Oct 28-31, Miami, Arin
--Nov 12-15, Marina Del Rey, ICANN
--Dec 9-14 Salt Lake City IETF

10. AC Physical meeting
11. AOB

MINUTES
========
Agenda points in order of discussion

1. Welcome

2. Apologies received
see above

3. Agenda bashing

-added 4 b) "Minutes from election meeting"

- AOB: WW on EC meeting

5. Status open actions

Complete list of open ACTIONS:

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to AC

- LT sent comments to RIRs to be sent to AC
ONGOING

0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities

- low priority
OPEN

0105-3 HPH: to re-submit changed text (acknowledgement of receipt of
the McFadden/Holmes report) as agreed
- wait until Mirjam is back
OPEN

0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for
                   2001/2002 (long-term action)

- everybody has sent list to Mirjam, to be discussed later under Agenda 
Point 9.

0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next ASO
GA will take place

- will take place alongside APNIC meeting 2002, to be decided by PW

0106-1 SEC: change status of May minutes on the web

- DONE

0106-2 HPH: to send list of AC chair tasks to the AC mailing list

- ONGOING

0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks

- OPEN

0106-4 WW: send additional disclaimer text to CJW so that she can
include it in the proposed process for the AC chair nomination and election
process

- OPEN

0106-5 RP: send additional disclaimer text to CJW so that she can
include it in the proposed process for the AC chair nomination and election
process

- DONE

0106-6 SEC: to send suggested text to be included in the reaction to the 
ICANN/VeriSign
agreement to HPH

- DONE

0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN
board. Send it to the AC for review. Vint should decide if he
believes this would be useful to show to the board

- check with Mirjam. Scott Marcus' presentation can be used
OPEN

0106-8 SEC: to add links to routing statistics on the ASO web site.
- DONE

0106-9 BR: to write up some discussion points about the process to
write policy documents

- DONE

0106-10 all AC members: to review the ICANN board resolution on the
emerging RIR document

- DONE

0106-11 all AC members: send preferred times for special voting
telephone call to the elections list

- DONE

0106-12 SEC: to find out when the next AC phone meeting will be (it is
currently scheduled for 4 july)

- DONE

6. Revising RFC 2050

BR:   Some consensus on list on ASO doc set
         Similariy between RIR and Mark McF proposals
         Put forward both proposals

LT:    Keep in mind the AC flow chart, follow the process or explain
         why you have not followed the process outlined.

HPH:  

BR:   We are at RIR discussion with AC, time to send to public for comment,
         the proposals need not be well formulated

HPH:  proposes to split the problem into two parts:
         - proposal for new doc series
         - policy development should then be sent back to RIRs & offer 
individual participation by AC members

LT: useful approach, in Stockholm meeting it was decided that the RFC
    2050 is in the jurisdiction of ASO, not IETF anymore.

RP:  A public comment period is important for the ASO doc
    series, but no need to follow the process according to the policy
    flow chart.

PW:    RFC 2050 discussion expected in Taipeh ASO slot.
 The ASO documents series is expected to consist
       of two types of documents
       - admin/background AND
       - policy

LT: RFC 2050 re-write not only totally administrative as it contains
    policy.

BR: agrees

RP: doc series: explicitely divide docs by modus of authoring:
    - what should it say
    - how to break it up

BR: see RIR proposed list of docs, see if significant differences to
    Mark's, then post it on list, cc RIR-WGs

RP: first get approval for doc series from the community

LT: scope? Inclusion of v4, v6, ASN in all?

BR: Mark's list was comprehensive

HPH: 

RP: The ASO doc series is not intended as a specific RFC 2050
    breakdown proposal, but to be a basis for more policy that may be
    developed.

BR: Do we want to propose the ASO documents series?

RP: Explanation should be made in ASO DOC 0
    1. format
    2. types
    3. general description (process of doc creation)
    comment: use existing processes for the policies and
    informal process for informational doc's.

LT: What obligations do they create for RIRs?

RP: Volunteers to write the draft. Committee of RIR persons and 1 AC
    member per region

BR: One month timeframe for drafting and proposing the document to the
    AC should be sufficient
    --> draft middle of August
    --> bring it to the AC
    --> then to the public

LT: important to have a public comment period
BR: does not want to loose RIR meeting cycle that is approaching.
    Would yield results in the short term.

Actions:
0107-1 RP  to draft ASO 0 in full. Draft to be posted to the AC

0107-2 AC form creation committee:
       volunteer: BR

HPH: summarises discussion (RP/BR)
     1. In depth discussion at RIR meeting on RFC 2050
     2. Global task force might become the sender of a proposal to AC

Action:
0107-3 HPH to draft message of intent describing the timeframe and
       further process for regional discussion

TA: might be able to present the process in Miami/Taipei

7. ASO involvement in the DNSO whois survey

LT: Names council business plan, one topic to evalutate whois/ DNS
    area geared towards DNS whois, feeling of overlap with ASO/PSO
    areas, thus invitation. Common issues/ integration issues

BR: most concerns regard privacy/ law enforcement access

RP: also other (RIR, etc.) data available through whois eg. routing
    registry

HPH: different uses for lookup of Domain Names
     outcome (greater privacy f.i.) could set some precedences for our
     community overviews of different users, community opinions.

WW: as DB-WG chair, more DB and external relations issue, than well
    defined address issues. First understand framework and DNSO intent
    WW volunteers to summarise issues to DB working group. Put it onto
    the Prague RIPE meeting agenda.

Actions:
0107-4 WW to summarise & propose further action regarding DNSO whois
       survey
0107-5 HPH to acknowledge receipt of DNSO invitation (AP)

8. Chair election process

Not all actions have been concluded. It was agreed that this would be
discussed as soon as the actions are concluded and the material is in
place.

9. AC attendance at upcoming meetings
Action:
0107-6 AC to send their travel plans for upcoming meetings to SEC
       within one week

10. AC physical meetings

HG: LACNIC invitation stands, time frame not yet set, 2nd open policy
    meeting will be held at the end of the year in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

RP: It is beneficial to LACNIC that the meeting is attended by the
    global community

PW/HG: physical AC meeting directly after ICANN meeting or weekend
       before

Action:
0107-7 ALL: answer to LACNIC by 20th of July regarding meeting time
       preferences

11. AOB

a) Meeting with EC, Brussels

WW: proposed meeting with EC member states representatives
    gives background, date Oct 10th, confirmation received
    Scope: European only event, or inclusion of AC at large

HG: no strong representation need, but helpful to keep the community
    posted with EC items
         without more detailed agenda/goals
         proposed attendees: SJ, HPH, WW, AP/MK, WW

Action:
0107-8 RB to circulate URL regarding additional info on commission
       resolution to support ICANN's bodies

b) ACK of Emerging RIR doc decision to ICANN board

RB proposed the AC to address an acknowledgment to the ICANN Board
expressing its satisfaction for the adoption of the Emerging RIRs
document. As mentioned in the minutes of the last conference call, the
wording adopted in the final resolution and the minutes of the
discussion were particularly clear in deleting the word minimum
concerning the criteria, on one hand, and in precising that the word
"standards" was referred only to the procedures to apply. Other AC 
members agreed to address this acknowledgment to the ICANN Board, but 
decided not to mention the reasons why.

4. a) Minutes from June 6th meeting
4. b) Minutes from election meeting
a) Second version of minutes accepted with all corrections.

Action 1107-9 SEC: publish minutes June AC meeting conf call on the website

b) Minutes accepted.

Action 1107-10 SEC: publish minutes of the elections meeting on the website

GV:   Following the resolution during the last AC meeting,
          can list of support be published?

HPH:  No, all the AC would like to have published will be published.

RP: MoU calls for procedures to be outlined.

HRG: Why were the RIRs present during the selection conference call?

HPH: There was a request by RIRs and subsequently the voting members
     decided to let them observe.

Action:
0107-11 AC devise selection procedures in subcommittee
        (1. collect ideas,proposals, 
         2. draft, 
         3. adapting results in a face to face meeting)

HPH: Following this discussion HPH commented to discuss items when
     they arise on the list without delay.

Meeting adjourned at 23:54  (UTC), 11 July 2001

ACTIONS DONE:

0106-1 SEC: change status of May minutes on the web

0106-5 RP: send additional disclaimer text to CJW so that she can
       include it in the proposed process for the AC chair nomination
       and election process

0106-6 SEC: to send suggested text to be included in the reaction to
       the ICANN/VeriSign agreement to HPH

0106-8 SEC: to add links to routing statistics on the ASO web site.

0106-9 BR: to write up some discussion points about the process to
       write policy documents

0106-10 all AC members: to review the ICANN board resolution on the
        emerging RIR document

0106-11 all AC members: send preferred times for special voting
        telephone call to the elections list
0106-12 SEC: to find out when the next AC phone meeting will be (it is
        currently scheduled for 4 july)

NEW ACTIONS:

0107-1 RP  to draft ASO 0 in full. Draft to be posted to the AC

0107-2 AC form creation committee: volunteer: BR

0107-3 HPH to draft message of intent describing the timeframe and
       further process for regional discussion

0107-4 WW to summarise & propose further action regarding DNSO whois
       survey

0107-5 HPH to acknowledge receipt of DNSO invitation (AP)

0107-6 AC to send their travel plans for upcoming meetings to SEC within 
       one week

1107-7 ALL: answer to LACNIC by 20th of July regarding meeting time
       preferences

0107-8 RB to circulate URL regarding additional info on commission
       resolution to support ICANN's bodies

0107-9 SEC: publish minutes June AC meeting conf call on the website

1107-10 SEC: publish minutes of the elections meeting on the website

0107-11 AC devise selection procedures in subcommittee
        (1. collect ideas, proposals, 2. draft, 3. adapting results in
        a face to face meeting)

COMPLETE list of OPEN ACTIONS:

12-4 RIRs/IANA: Circulate draft resource request procedure document to
     AC

0101-3 SEC: determine costs for public listening facilities

0105-3 HPH: to re-submit changed text (acknowledgement of receipt of
       the McFadden/Holmes report) as agreed

0105-7 SEC: to compile a list of attendees of upcoming meetings for
       2001/2002 (long-term action)

0105-8 SEC: to co-ordinate with the RIRs to decide when the next ASO
       GA will take place

0106-2 HPH: to send list of AC chair tasks to the AC mailing list
0106-3 all AC members: discuss how to divide AC chair tasks

0106-4 WW: send additional disclaimer text to CJW so that she can
       include in the proposed process for AC chair nomination and
       election process

0106-7 HPH and BR: to draft a presentation for Vint Cerf and the ICANN
       board. Send it to the AC for review. Then Vint can decide if he
       thinks this would be useful to show to the board

0107-1 RP: to draft ASO 0 in full. Draft to be posted to the AC

0107-2 AC form creation committee: volunteer: BR

0107-3 HPH to draft message of intent describing the timeframe and
       further process for regional discussion

0107-4 WW to summarise & propose further action regarding DNSO whois
       survey

0107-5 HPH to acknowledge receipt of DNSO invitation (AP)

0107-6 AC to send their travel plans for upcoming meetings to SEC within 
       one week

0107-7 ALL: answer to LACNIC by 20th of July regarding meeting time
       preferences

0107-8 RB: to circulate URL regarding additional info on commission
       resolution to support ICANN's bodies

0107-9 SEC: publish minutes June AC meeting conf call on the website

0107-10 SEC: publish minutes of the elections meeting on the website

0107-11 AC devise selection procedures in subcommittee
        (1. collect ideas, proposals, 2. draft, 3. adapting results 
        in a face to face meeting)