ICANN Public Session Agenda:
It is important that ASO-AC publish their public meeting agenda at least 2 weeks in advance and circulate within the community with the help of Secretariat.
ICANN Meeting Engagements:
Meetings with ICANN Stakeholders:
ASO-AC follows the operating procedure for the appointment of ICANN Board Seat 9 and Seat 10, it is important to review the operating procedures and fix any problem. During the ICANN 66 meeting, a closed session was organised to review the existing procedure and AC came up with following points.
- The process needs to be updated.
- There should be four distinct phases: Outreach/Nomination, Application, Review and Selection.
- There was no need to have a separate Quality Review Committee (QRC) and Interview Committee (IC).
- The candidates should not receive the interview questions in advance of the interview.
- The application process needed to be improved (create an application form).
- The candidates should be asked more about ICANN and board governance.
- The written questionnaire should be scrapped.
- There should be more outreach during the nominating phase.
- Updating the election procedures should be done openly: the ASO AC should be transparent about it.
- The public ICANN NomCom documents could be used as templates/starting points for the new ASO process. A document that had advice on what to look for in a Board member would be helpful.
- The candidate interviews should be carried out in an organized manner.
- It should be mandatory for all ASO AC members to attend all interviews. Only a subset of the ASO AC (the Interview Committee) would be able to ask questions.
- The ASO AC should come together to deliberate on the candidates. There needs to be a full discussion on how the candidates performed.
- The nomination period often occurred during holiday periods. The timing should be evaluated to see if this could be avoided.
- It would be helpful if the ASO AC could have the 360-degree Board Review if the incumbent is standing for re-election.
- Determine if, how and under what circumstances and to what extent ASO-AC participates in exercising Empowered Community Powers.
- Consider any possible changes to ASO-AC Operating Procedures in support of exercising Empowered Community Powers.